Poll

Does Yabs have an NBA future?

No, I thought he was the French Draymond but he's the French Jared Sullinger.
20 (52.6%)
Yes, he the Dancing freaking Bear!
13 (34.2%)
I'm against the French stealing American jobs.
5 (13.2%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Yabusele three years later... What's the verdict?  (Read 5564 times)

Re: Yabusele three years later... What's the verdict?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 12:07:35 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
If sully had that physique, we'd have ourselves a nice 4! Sully was really awesome in some ways ... but physique was not one of them. Held him back and cut his career.

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 12:12:36 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I don’t see him ever developing into a valuable NBA player.

Y’all should pay attention to what I say because I said the same thing about Avery Bradley and Terry Rozier.

Both AB and Rozier had great physical attributes for their position, great length and tremendous athleticism. They just needed time to learn to play the NBA game.

Yabu lacks both the length and hops to play NBA 4/5. He'll never be able to finish over length and will probably always be a liability defensively. His only hope is to become a high level playmaker on the 2nd unit

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 12:36:51 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Didn't think he was an NBA player back then, nothing so far to contradict.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 12:37:55 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
If sully had that physique, we'd have ourselves a nice 4! Sully was really awesome in some ways ... but physique was not one of them. Held him back and cut his career.

Sully had skills, his physical limitations did him in. Guy was just too ground bound

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 12:56:37 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
My guess is this will be his last season for Boston

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 01:04:51 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Sully had skills, his physical limitations did him in. Guy was just too ground bound

Not really physical limitations either... he did just fine with his body before, was a plus player according to the eye test and stats...he just ate his way out of the league

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 01:07:29 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
He is a starter in the Euro leagues

Not even sure he starts there. He's nowhere near the player Theis is, and he only played about 20 minutes a game. https://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/daniel-theis-1.html

Theis was defensive player of the year at the German league though, if I recall.

Maybe Euro players just get fewer minutes? My speculation anyway.

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2018, 01:25:19 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Didn't think he was an NBA player back then, nothing so far to contradict.

Sigh. Same :-\.

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2018, 06:10:33 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yes. I like the look of him.

Good physical talent. Solid quickness laterally and end to end. Good strength and solid body size for an NBA PF. He has the physical talent to become a useful defender down the road. Good skill level. He can shoot the three. He can fake the shot and line drive. He can run the floor in transition. That is enough ways to score to be a valuable role player.

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2018, 06:19:19 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Good physical talent. Solid quickness laterally and end to end. Good strength and solid body size for an NBA PF. He has the physical talent to become a useful defender down the road. Good skill level. He can shoot the three. He can fake the shot and line drive. He can run the floor in transition. That is enough ways to score to be a valuable role player.
^this. Dude is more skilled than most end of bench players (ntm he has good physical talent), he's almost certainly going to be a good bench piece given that he continues to hone his craft and improve at a reasonable level.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 06:36:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is a bust and lacks confidence in his game which will always hold him back.

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2018, 07:18:21 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Bust. By this time next year he 'll be considered dead salary (assuming we pick up his option).

Just trade him now that he still has some value (hopefully). At this point, I 'd probably accept a mid second rounder for him.

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 07:18:46 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yep. People are too quick to judge
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 07:49:12 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Today, Yabu is a minus defender - even for a bench player. If I had to defend a series of plays, I would (much) rather have Hassan Martin. He gives away nothing in strength or size to Yabu, but has quicker feet and better anticipation, and he's much faster off the floor.  Martin can't shoot from distance, but he knows how to put the ball in if he gets an offensive rebound or catches a pass a few feet from the basket - where Yabu struggles.

Martin is also going to make about $2.6 million less - which (if Smart signs for more than the QO) might be the difference between staying under the luxury tax line one more year and going over. Putting off the repeater tax is worth a lot - it's likely going to cost tens of millions when it hits, which could be just as Tatum needs his second contract. I'd like to keep the core together. I suppose if Smart signs for the QO it might not matter, but it would be a shame to pay the lux tax this year because we're hoping that Yabu will someday find his game.

Here is one more point of comparison - this year, Yabu is going to be paid twice as much as Daniel Theis, even though Theis is at least twice the player.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:54:37 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 08:51:01 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
My take is that if he was on a less-disciplined team and got the playing time, he'd be in the upper teens in scoring.

If he played for a scoring-starved team last year like the Kings, Hawks, etc., people would be considering him an upper talent.

CBS won't let him get away with his bad habits on offense or defense, but Yabu is slowly making better decisions in those situations. The problem is that he is not free to unleash his scoring ability.

I still think he is a high-level talent, although his place in Boston's future is becoming murky.