14 (24.6%)
Try to sign him to the G league roster
7 (12.3%)
Yes
7 (12.3%)
No
8 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Hassan Martin  (Read 4594 times)

Re: Hassan Martin
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 01:46:11 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I see a lot of love being thrown around the site for some of these Summer League talents. Just don't see that any, except for maybe, maybe Bird getting anything more than a two-wsy contract where they will spend about every minute of their time in Portland if we are a healthy team. Heck, even if Bird gets the 15th slot on the team, I still see him spending most of his time in Portland. If Rozier, Smart, Brown and Kyrie are gealthy all year there is no way Bird, Wannamaker or any 2-way player sees any minutes next year except in complete garbage time....if they aren't in Portland...or on the inactive list for that game.
wanamaker will absolutely get minutes. We will have many blowout games with Hayward and kyrie back and Tatum/brown taking a step forward in progress.
Maybe...let's see. If healthy our starters are:

Kyrie
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Horford

Then the rotation has:

Smart
Rozier
Semi
Morris
Baynes
Theis

Deep bench, which 2 every night would either be inactive or in Portland would be:

Yabusele...in Boston
Williams....probably bouncing between Boston and Portland
Wanamaker....probably stays in Boston but sees a lot of inactives
Bird....all of the above. In Portland, bouncing back and forth and lots of inactives

We will see.
Guilty as charged. Just want to see some guys get a shot. Not saying they make it in any case. I'm  cheering for guys like Hassan Martin to get a camp invite or a chance to play on our G league team. Live the dream and all that. Just summer fun.

I would add that I agree with your rotation premise and would add that its likely Semi and Theis both see a few DNP-CD games as well. Also still 2 two way slots on your roster.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 03:17:19 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Man we are deep.

We can mix and match our starting 5 and next 5 and still end up with 2 playoff teams, at least in the east. Something like Baynes Morris Hayward Smart Irving and Horford Theis Tatum Brown Rozier.

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 09:21:37 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I see a lot of love being thrown around the site for some of these Summer League talents. Just don't see that any, except for maybe.....maybe.......Bird getting anything more than a two-way contract. And on that 2-way contract, they will spend about every minute of their time in Portland if we are a healthy team. Heck, even if Bird gets the 15th slot on the team, I still see him spending most of his time in Portland. If Rozier, Smart, Brown and Kyrie are healthy all year there is no way Bird, Wanamaker or any 2-way player sees any minutes next year except in complete garbage time....if they aren't in Portland...or on the inactive list for that game.

with all those stars next to your screen name you've obviously been around here for a while, you should know by now Jaylen brown and tatum are expendable and should be traded for future assets because bird and Ojeleye have emerged and have cemented their place in the rafters already.

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 10:02:57 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
My question about Martin is he's only 6/7. He can't play C and may be too small to play PF.

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 10:04:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
My question about Martin is he's only 6/7. He can't play C and may be too small to play PF.
In a team that runs 3 guard lineups I don't see any way he is too small to play PF, particularly with his strength and jump
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 10:18:57 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
In a team that runs 3 guard lineups I don't see any way he is too small to play PF, particularly with his strength and jump

Good point but I'm talking more about his versatility to defend outside the paint. Is he better than Yabu because they are both around the same size. Yabu has a decent shot and can make plays.

I like Martin, maybe keep him to be part of a trade.

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2018, 11:33:00 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

Good point but I'm talking more about his versatility to defend outside the paint. Is he better than Yabu because they are both around the same size. Yabu has a decent shot and can make plays.

I like Martin, maybe keep him to be part of a trade.

If he’s kept as a two-way player, he’s just sort of an extra piece to develop in Maine. I wouldn’t worry about positional overlap on two-way guys, and would just look for players with the best chance to turn into actual NBA players.

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2018, 11:33:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't get the infatuation with guys in the Summer league.   I recall the same thing with guys like Chris Babb and they almost never pan out.   I doubt Martin could make our roster, ditto for most of the guys not named Williams, Semi, Yabu and Bird.

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 12:01:28 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
I don't get the infatuation with guys in the Summer league.   I recall the same thing with guys like Chris Babb and they almost never pan out.   I doubt Martin could make our roster, ditto for most of the guys not named Williams, Semi, Yabu and Bird.
because it is the off season and the summer league excels in giving us all brand new shiny toys to ooo and aaaa over.  ;D potential is always intriguing and fun to speculate over, sort of like a mystery box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKZJdaiJF84
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 12:03:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I see a lot of love being thrown around the site for some of these Summer League talents. Just don't see that any, except for maybe.....maybe.......Bird getting anything more than a two-way contract. And on that 2-way contract, they will spend about every minute of their time in Portland if we are a healthy team. Heck, even if Bird gets the 15th slot on the team, I still see him spending most of his time in Portland. If Rozier, Smart, Brown and Kyrie are healthy all year there is no way Bird, Wanamaker or any 2-way player sees any minutes next year except in complete garbage time....if they aren't in Portland...or on the inactive list for that game.

with all those stars next to your screen name you've obviously been around here for a while, you should know by now Jaylen brown and tatum are expendable and should be traded for future assets because bird and Ojeleye have emerged and have cemented their place in the rafters already.
already.
TP...that made me laugh

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 01:56:23 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

already.
TP...that made me laugh

Yep, he's an old guy.  ;D
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku