Author Topic: Semi to Maine?  (Read 7142 times)

Re: Semi to Maine?
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2018, 11:07:45 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Semi and Bird got rested for that Portland game--which tells you how serious Ainge was about winning it. Looks like he wanted the players out of Vegas ASAP. It also tells me those two guys are making the team. Yabu played, and is probably another. Then there's Williams, and he probably will have to show something in training camp and pre-season not to wind up in Maine.
But he has skills no other team player has, and if he shows anything and is healthy he will stick.

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2018, 11:12:51 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
This. I don't think anyone here is suggesting that they know more than the coaches. But it is well known that coaches often try to build up their players confidence and say positive things. It is important not to take such statements at face value.

I meant coaches explaining the game. Brad is brilliant at it, of course, but who I had in mind especially was guys like Jeff van Gundy, Mike Fratello, Hubie, and others.

What you need, my young friend, is patient study.
I'll freely admit that I don't pay much attention to what they say. Do you have quotes from these coaches stating that Semi is a high quality offensive player?

I知 talking about learning how the game is played and being able to see what痴 actually going on.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 12:06:11 AM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I知 definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2018, 11:36:21 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

As far as the moves you note, I did not see him do any of those things well in games

In that case, two pieces of advice:

1) Make the rewind button your best friend;

2) Pay attention to what coaches say, and assume that they know better than you. And one good observation is worth more than all of your judgments!

I do not expect him to be part of the rotation.

Maybe the third thing would be to test yourself by making real-world predictions. Bravo!

What coaches say, particularly Stevens, is usually coach speak and should be taken with a giant grain of salt. Unless you can find evidence of Stevens not being complimentary of all his players and criticizing them in the media, then I'll chalk it up as just that.  For example, don't your remember Stevens saying he was Rondo's biggest fan and couldn't wait to coach him?

Here are some other gems...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw3LDbhXw2U

How about you? Would you care to make a minutes prediction for Semi Ojeleye?

Roster as is, with Smart back, approximately 5 mpg.

What's your prediction?

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2018, 11:40:05 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
I would say a bit more than 5 mpg... probably closer to 9.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2018, 11:52:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

As far as the moves you note, I did not see him do any of those things well in games

2) Pay attention to what coaches say, and assume that they know better than you. And one good observation is worth more than all of your judgments!

Maybe the third thing would be to test yourself by making real-world predictions. Bravo!

What coaches say, particularly Stevens, is usually coach speak and should be taken with a giant grain of salt. Unless you can find evidence of Stevens not being complimentary of all his players and criticizing them in the media, then I'll chalk it up as just that.  For example, don't your remember Stevens saying he was Rondo's biggest fan and couldn't wait to coach him?

What's your prediction?
Bad prediction. You know who averaged more than 5 mpg for the Celtics last year?

Allen 5.9
Yabusele 7.1
Bird 8.8
Gibson 10
Nader 10.9

Of course they didn't play many games, but all above 5 minutes per

Of players that played in at least 40 games, which I thinj Semi would play in, Nader had the least MPG at 10.9

So I could see Semi with at least 10 mpg this year.

« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2018, 12:05:12 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

What's your prediction?

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I知 definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2018, 12:10:49 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

What's your prediction?
Bad prediction. You know who averaged more than 5 mpg for the Celtics last year?

Allen 5.9
Yabusele 7.1
Bird 8.8
Gibson 10
Nader 10.9

Of course they didn't play many games, but all above 5 minutes per

Of players that played in at least 40 games, which I thinj Semi would play in, Nader had the least MPG at 10.9

So I could see Semi with at least 10 mpg this year.

Those are some really bad examples. Allen, Bird, and Gibson played a combined 35 games. To expand my prediction it's because I expect us to be really good and with limited injuries (hopefully) Semi will be involved in a lot of blowouts. I also think he's going to be getting quite a few DNP-CD's.

Things like significant injuries may skew numbers, but with a healthy 10 (Starters + Smart, Morris, Baynes, Theis, and Rozier) 5 MPG is all you can reasonably expect.

So, that said, I'll flip it over to the Semi will be in the rotation contingent, with those 10 all available, how many minutes does Semi get?

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2018, 12:13:07 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

What's your prediction?

Is that overall or with a fully healthy rotation? I'm assuming it's the latter since you expect him to be part of the rotation. If so, how are you splitting those minutes?

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2018, 01:45:40 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

IMO Stevens (and Kerr btw) is among the most straight forward coaches in the NBA. Ppl miss it  bcs of their positivity. Coaches like Snyder on the other hand, come across as honest bcs they are emotional.

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2018, 12:26:07 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

What's your prediction?

Is that overall or with a fully healthy rotation? I'm assuming it's the latter since you expect him to be part of the rotation. If so, how are you splitting those minutes?

Overall. Check back in April.

I'm not sure what a "fully healthy rotation" would mean, beyond "no one misses any games" - but it doesn't seem likely that you mean that; I think we all know that that won't happen.

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2018, 01:03:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Even if everyone is healthy, I think between small injuries and Stevens giving guys days off for rest, you'll see around 30 player games being missed by Horford, Morris, Hayward, Tatum, Brown and Smart. Those minutes for those player games will go to Semi and he could easily average 15-20 minutes per game for those 30 games. And that's with good health. Add that to small regular rotation minutes and games with big minutes due to blowouts and I just can't see Semi averaging less than 10-12 mpg for as many games as he plays.

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2018, 02:31:40 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Even if everyone is healthy, I think between small injuries and Stevens giving guys days off for rest, you'll see around 30 player games being missed by Horford, Morris, Hayward, Tatum, Brown and Smart. Those minutes for those player games will go to Semi and he could easily average 15-20 minutes per game for those 30 games. And that's with good health. Add that to small regular rotation minutes and games with big minutes due to blowouts and I just can't see Semi averaging less than 10-12 mpg for as many games as he plays.

On the whole this looks logical.  I thought I'd flesh it out a bit.

Picking four guys out of your list...

Smart has averaged 65 games in four seasons.
Horford 75
Morris 74
Brown 74 in two seasons...

Assuming that they play their recent average number of games, that's already a total of 40 missed games. Let's assume really good luck, and cut that in half, leaving 20. If you multiply that by the total average minutes that each of them played last season (119), you get 2380 minutes missed - for just those four.

I'm suggesting a scenario way more optimistic than your 30 missed by six players, and there is still a ton of available minutes.

Ojeleye played 1150 last season, which was 15.8 per game. (He had 4 DNP-CD's and 4 out for the back injury.)

This is not a prediction, it's to demonstrate how workable getting Semi rotation minutes would be, even given Boston's depth. Obviously we could go through the list of likely rotation players to get a fuller sense of what's predictable for available minutes; it would only add to what's available.

The real issue is whether or not he merits rotation minutes, and it looks to me as though the coaching staff have already settled that for themselves. They had him in at crunch time frequently last year, and he played a big role in the playoffs.

For some players there's an effort gap after the first year; not Ojeleye, who continues to get high marks for his work ethic (from Larranaga in Vegas, for example). He showed evidence in SL of work on his dribble drives and playmaking.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:03:35 PM by Hoopvortex »

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2018, 03:53:51 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

What's your prediction?

Overall. Check back in April.

I'm not sure what a "fully healthy rotation" would mean, beyond "no one misses any games" - but it doesn't seem likely that you mean that; I think we all know that that won't happen.

What I mean is when our 10 top guys are healthy (starters + Morris, Theis, Baynes, Rozier, Smart) how many minutes does Semi play? If you can't see him playing much when those 10 are available then you agree with me that's he not a rotation guy, but more of a situation guy. Because if he needs guys to be out to get minutes then he's not really part of the rotation.

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2018, 04:15:01 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

The real issue is whether or not he merits rotation minutes, and it looks to me as though the coaching staff have already settled that for themselves. They had him in at crunch time frequently last year, and he played a big role in the playoffs.

For some players there's an effort gap after the first year; not Ojeleye, who continues to get high marks for his work ethic (from Larranaga in Vegas, for example). He showed evidence in SL of work on his dribble drives and playmaking.

The first paragraph is not really accurate. He received playing time more out of need than merit. Your "frequently" in crunch time comment doesn't seem true either, but I don't have the time to pull Semi's crunch time minutes to support it.  He didn't play a big role in the playoffs, he played a role in the Bucks series and only the Bucks series. He was basically benched after Game 1 of the Sixers series (probably only played as much as he did because Brown was out) and only received double digit minutes in the following: 11 point loss, 25 point win, and 30 point loss. In the other 11 games he averaged 3 MPG. That's with Hayward, Irving, and Theis out.

I didn't see any improvement in his ballhandling at all.

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2018, 07:49:34 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Semi was 9th on the team in total minutes last year when Stevens said he was mostly clueless offensively until the end of the year and playoffs. He averaged almost 16 minutes per game. The only player that was out last year that was in front of him in his position was Hayward.

Injuries to and days off for  players in front of him will mean big minutes in some to a bunch of ganes. There will be games that are blowouts where he will get big minutes. There will be games where Stevens will play him big minutes because the guys in front of him are playing awful defense. And there will be games he just gets 5-8 minutes and there will be games he doesn't play.

Semi will get minutes and at year's end he will probably have the 10th - 11th most total minutes and have over 10 minutes per game though I doubt he is in all 82 games. Because he will see DNP-CDs this will help boost his minutes per game.

I just see no way he goes to Maine. He is a NBA role bench player. Stevens rewards players that play defense the way he wants it played. Semi does that. Players that haven't proven they are NBA role players that can play defense like Stevens wants: Yabusele, Wanamaker, Williams, Nader and Bird. Those are your Celtic pkayers that could be spending a bunch of time in Maine. Not Semi.

Exactly.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.