Author Topic: Semi to Maine?  (Read 7143 times)

Re: Semi to Maine?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 05:37:35 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I agree starter minutes will be moderated. I think the five starters plus Marcus Smart, if he stays, will get about 30 minutes per game each. If Baynes and Theis each play 10 to 12, Morris around 20, and Rozier 15 or so, that simply doesn't leave much time for anyone else. Those are all modest amounts of time to expect those players to put in on a game to game basis. Of course if there are injuries that changes things, but if the Celts stay healthy it's hard to see where serious minutes come from. Sure, they can find a few here and there, but I have a hard time seeing Semi playing 10 plus minutes a game unless someone is hurt.

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 06:02:39 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Semi needs to play and learn to score. On this team he will not play much. I am sure he will shuttle with Yabu and Bird to main. We also have another guard in Wanamaker too. Brown may play some three too. Semi is an NBA player for sure. But he will play in Maine to keep him fresh.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 08:37:52 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Semi is too versatile.  He'll find minutes.

Your mistake is thinking in terms of 'only 5 minutes per game'.  What is more likely to happen is that he'll not play at all in a couple of games and get 15 minutes in the next game.   That's fairly common for the 8-11 guys in the rotation.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 08:55:29 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
He’s not versatile, he’s totally one dimensional. He’s a good defender but adds nothing on offense. I agree that it’s more likely to be no minutes for a few games and then 10 or so, but that still isn’t enough to help him grow.

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 08:58:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not sure how much Portland would help Semi. I mean, other than Terry Rozier have the Celtics had ANY luck with sending players to Maine and then have that player come to the NBA and make something of themselves?

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 10:12:45 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Semi is too versatile.  He'll find minutes.

Where, though?

Say the starters each get 30 minutes, which is a fair guess considering these were their averages last season:
Irving 32.2
Horford 31.6
Brown 30.7
Tatum 30.5

It would leave 90 minutes for the following players (last season's MPG in parentheses):
Smart (29.9)
Rozier (25.9)
Morris (26.8 )
Baynes (18.3)
Theis (14.9)
Semi (15.8 )
Wanamaker (N/A)

Now let's say Smart goes down to 25, Rozier to 20, Morris to 20, and Baynes to 15, which I don't think Smart or Rozier will be that low, but let's say they are for the sake of argument. That would now leave 10 total minutes for Theis, Semi, and Wanamaker.

So, yes, this minutes crunch is going to be real and barring another season of injury issues, Semi will be on the outside looking in of the rotation. You're right, though, he may not have his MPG impacted too much because he'll see a lot of DNP-CD's, but his total minutes (last season he played 1150 minutes) will be greatly reduced.

That's why I think he'll get some action in Maine, but they'll be calculated stints based on scheduling. For example, let's say we're off a few days he might shuttle back and forth between a C's practice, a Red Claw game, and then back to the C's to play a situational/non-rotation player role.

The only other way, besides injury, he could land in the rotation is if we consolidate via trade.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:20:27 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2018, 11:08:07 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I don’t see how he can get regular minutes barring injury. My guess is he will be called up and sent down repeatedly and be available throughout the playoffs

We have Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford as starters. And then Smart, Rozier, Baynes, Theis and Morris who all need minutes. Semi is the 11th (or 12th depending on Wanamaker) guy on our depth chart and this speaks to the depth that we have. Unfortunately for him, it means slim chances for regular PT
- LilRip

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2018, 11:35:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Semi was 9th on the team in total minutes last year when Stevens said he was mostly clueless offensively until the end of the year and playoffs. He averaged almost 16 minutes per game. The only player that was out last year that was in front of him in his position was Hayward.

Injuries to and days off for  players in front of him will mean big minutes in some to a bunch of ganes. There will be games that are blowouts where he will get big minutes. There will be games where Stevens will play him big minutes because the guys in front of him are playing awful defense. And there will be games he just gets 5-8 minutes and there will be games he doesn't play.

Semi will get minutes and at year's end he will probably have the 10th - 11th most total minutes and have over 10 minutes per game though I doubt he is in all 82 games. Because he will see DNP-CDs this will help boost his minutes per game.

I just see no way he goes to Maine. He is a NBA role bench player. Stevens rewards players that play defense the way he wants it played. Semi does that. Players that haven't proven they are NBA role players that can play defense like Stevens wants: Yabusele, Wanamaker, Williams, Nader and Bird. Those are your Celtic pkayers that could be spending a bunch of time in Maine. Not Semi.

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2018, 01:10:42 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Semi needs opportunities to hone his offense against NBA competition, not the G-League (because with his size, strength and skills I think he'd probably at least average double digits there, maybe even 20 PPG).

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2018, 02:27:31 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Insulting idea...he's proven he can play at a high level in NBA playoffs. Why would the Celtics even consider the idea even if there is a logjam at his position. Chances are, neither Haywood or Kyrie will be at full strength this season. We don't know if Marcus Smart will be back. Plus, he knows the system.

Agree.

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 06:56:48 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
depending on the health of the roster it wouldn't shock me if Semi got a few quick G-league assignments. Not that he will go up and spend a week with the team but a situation where the team get get him up to Maine to play a game without missing anything more then a practice with the Cs.

Long term Semi is going to be a big piece of the Cs bench however this season he will likely be the victim of a major minutes crunch. If the Cs resign Smart (looking likely with the QO) without making any other major moves (minor moves likely being Bird signing, Nader being waived, and 2 (2-way) guys being signed) then the bench is arguably the deepest in the NBA. The best 5 off the bench Rozier, Smart, Semi, Morris and Baynes would likely beat many lottery team in a 7 game series.   

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2018, 08:01:24 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Insulting idea...he's proven he can play at a high level in NBA playoffs. Why would the Celtics even consider the idea even if there is a logjam at his position. Chances are, neither Haywood or Kyrie will be at full strength this season. We don't know if Marcus Smart will be back. Plus, he knows the system.

Agree.

It's not really about insulting him. The question is: what is going to help Semi continue to develop? He's proven himself as a defender, but his offensive game needs work. Will he be able to continue growing if he's the 9th  or 10th man in the NBA rotation, or will he benefit from getting some burn in the G-League? I think it's an interesting question for the team.

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 08:31:11 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
Also consider he's not going to be the 9th or 10th man, he's going to be the 11th or 12th man. It's hard to see him playing much with that many guys ahead of him on the depth chart.

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 08:38:49 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Semi was 9th on the team in total minutes last year when Stevens said he was mostly clueless offensively until the end of the year and playoffs. He averaged almost 16 minutes per game. The only player that was out last year that was in front of him in his position was Hayward.

Injuries to and days off for  players in front of him will mean big minutes in some to a bunch of ganes. There will be games that are blowouts where he will get big minutes. There will be games where Stevens will play him big minutes because the guys in front of him are playing awful defense. And there will be games he just gets 5-8 minutes and there will be games he doesn't play.

Semi will get minutes and at year's end he will probably have the 10th - 11th most total minutes and have over 10 minutes per game though I doubt he is in all 82 games. Because he will see DNP-CDs this will help boost his minutes per game.

I just see no way he goes to Maine. He is a NBA role bench player. Stevens rewards players that play defense the way he wants it played. Semi does that. Players that haven't proven they are NBA role players that can play defense like Stevens wants: Yabusele, Wanamaker, Williams, Nader and Bird. Those are your Celtic pkayers that could be spending a bunch of time in Maine. Not Semi.
Very good post that was well argued, informed, and cogent. It changed how I viewed semi’s playing time.

Thank you and a tp.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 08:47:15 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sporadic minutes plus practing with the team is probably more useful than playing against less sophisticated offenses and defenses in Portland.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes