Author Topic: Semi to Maine?  (Read 7169 times)

Semi to Maine?
« on: July 15, 2018, 10:32:07 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
After reading part 1 of the summer league notebook, I wonder if Semi will see some time in Maine this year. Here is a quote from the article:

"6. On Semi Ojeleye: “He was in over his head last year. We never planned to play him as much as we did. When Gordon (Hayward) went down, it changed our entire plan. He more than held his own on defense, but offense needs work. He had to think his way through things. By the playoffs, it was finally all coming together. He really could have used some time in Maine (with the NBAGL Red Claws).”

It would certainly be unusual for a second year player who got as many minutes as Semi did last year to go to the G-league, but with the number of guys ahead of him on the depth chart and the fact that his three point shooting has not improved it might give him a better chance to grow offensively.

Re: Semi to Maine?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 10:53:51 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If Morris, Brown, Hayward, Tatum and Horford are all healthy then I have some serious difficulty seeing him getting any minutes, as those guys will take up basically all the minutes at the 3 and the 4. I don't think sending him down to the G-League would necessarily be bad, as confidence seems to be a really big barrier for him.
Once he gets his NBA 3 point range in, I think he'll be very useful as a 3&D guy off the bench. He's already proven himself as an NBA caliber swing defender, he just needs to get better on offence
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 11:34:18 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
with semi and williams on their team, the fighting crustaceans should be fun to watch. add yabusele to the mix and i will actually pay attention to them this season.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 11:43:06 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Insulting idea...he's proven he can play at a high level in NBA playoffs. Why would the Celtics even consider the idea even if there is a logjam at his position. Chances are, neither Haywood or Kyrie will be at full strength this season. We don't know if Marcus Smart will be back. Plus, he knows the system. 

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 11:47:59 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
It’s not an insult. He showed he can play defense in the NBA, but he also showed he cannot contribute on offense. If it helps his development that’s all that matters. Given how far he is down the depth chart it might make sense.

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I don't expect any of the starters to go beyond 30 mins a game. There will be minutes and certain matchups where he will be useful/needed. I don't think he will benefit much in Portland at this point.

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 12:13:40 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
It’s not an insult. He showed he can play defense in the NBA, but he also showed he cannot contribute on offense. If it helps his development that’s all that matters. Given how far he is down the depth chart it might make sense.

I agree. Our bench will consist of Smart, Rozier, Theis, Morris, and Baynes. Plus, you could argue that Wanamaker might see Larkin type minutes too. So as it stands Semi will either be the 11th or 12th man in the rotation. Also, due to Semi's lack of ballhandling Stevens likes to use him as a small ball 4, so with so many guys that can play minutes there (Horford, Tatum, Hayward, Theis, Morris) he'll be hardpressed to find minutes other than via blowouts or situational type stuff.

I can see him going down to Maine here and there just to get game reps.

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 12:20:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The article said last year he could have used time at Maine but couldn't because of his offense but that by the end of the year he understood things. That doesn't mean he needs to go this year. AT ALL.

Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford, Rozier, Smart, Morris, Baynes, Theis and Semi will be our 11 man rotation for the regular season. That will leave 2 more spots open for games. Then 2 more spots open for guys that will most likely be in inactive a bunch or in Maine from these players: Yabusele, Wanamaker, Williams and either Nader or Bird, whichever of those final two make the team.

Wanamaker is a rookie/vet like Theis and Larkin were last year. No way he goes back and forth to Maine. So I see 3 players taking turns traveling up I-95 all year...Williams, Yabusele and Nader/Bird. I think Yabu will be in Maine the least.

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 12:56:00 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
I'm not necessarily predicting he will go to Maine, I could easily see the Celtics deciding that it is not worthwhile. But I think his offense is so far from playable right now it would not shock me if it happened. He is not nearly so ready as many here seem to think. He plays good on ball defense, but he literally adds nothing on offense, and still has to improve his off ball defense. I agree that he is likely to be the 11th man, but I don't expect him to get much more than 5 or so minutes per game at that spot. He could even drop to 12th if Wanamaker shows he can contribute.

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 01:26:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
You can shoot over semi ,  but you can't go though , over or around him. 

Stevens knows when to pull the trigger and put him or Smatt on certain players .   

Hea a good role model for kids .

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 01:29:43 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
He would have a chance to get some run as the playmaker/go-to scorer to develop his game on that end. Good idea.

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 01:32:21 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I'm not necessarily predicting he will go to Maine, I could easily see the Celtics deciding that it is not worthwhile. But I think his offense is so far from playable right now it would not shock me if it happened. He is not nearly so ready as many here seem to think. He plays good on ball defense, but he literally adds nothing on offense, and still has to improve his off ball defense. I agree that he is likely to be the 11th man, but I don't expect him to get much more than 5 or so minutes per game at that spot. He could even drop to 12th if Wanamaker shows he can contribute.

Agree with this. I would be surprised if he is sent down unless really struggling. A sound replacement for Morris defensively but will not see many minutes except as an injury replacement.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 01:50:35 PM by billysan »
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 02:25:23 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Think starters playing time will be regulated especially Hayward and Kyrie

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 05:33:52 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I think the G league can benefit some players, but I personally think it does more harm than good. it seems like some guys can develop bad habits like not focusing on defense.

I think at this point sending semi down would probably make no sense, esp. considering since they threw 'em in the deep end last yr. and he survived.

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 05:35:56 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
nah,  i see him getting time.  wouodnt be shocked by a move to change the show bench still