Author Topic: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)  (Read 64033 times)

Re: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)
« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2018, 10:56:34 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Best of luck to you guys

how you doing ol sport. I'll be danged if i don't miss the heck out of you.

My handsome boys.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #196 on: August 07, 2018, 01:31:55 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Personally I think it would be prudent to start from scratch on the new forum because of how many dead accounts there would be on celtics blog forum, as it's impossible to delete an account even if someone wanted to.

As long as people use their old username and avatar everyone will know who you are anyway.

You're not wrong. Of the approximately 43,250 users (865 pages / 50 user per page), only about 1300 users have over 100 posts (ends on the 26th page). That is like 840 of the 865 pages of users who have under 100 posts.

If there was a way to boil that down a bit, that would be ideal, but I understand if it's not. I do think there would be a number of people who might be liable to check out some other sites if their post count / TPs were reset, though. I mean, it's happened before a couple of times before SB Nation, but never have we moved to a completely different site and never has a CB forum lasted anywhere near this long.

I’m just curious, what does it matter if they are inactive? Why shouldn’t their posts carry over? Seems like it’s really just porting all the info over, and I’m no expert but wouldn’t it be easier to port all data over than to sift through it?

Does it matter if a new CB has 1,300 users (all of whom post regularly) or 43,000 (of which 1300 post regularly)?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #197 on: August 07, 2018, 05:27:35 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I know I'm late to the funeral, but this breaks my heart (if I had one).

I'm not a tech guy, but I'm willing to donate some money if it helps keeping the forums alive.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #198 on: August 07, 2018, 08:33:36 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Personally I think it would be prudent to start from scratch on the new forum because of how many dead accounts there would be on celtics blog forum, as it's impossible to delete an account even if someone wanted to.

As long as people use their old username and avatar everyone will know who you are anyway.

You're not wrong. Of the approximately 43,250 users (865 pages / 50 user per page), only about 1300 users have over 100 posts (ends on the 26th page). That is like 840 of the 865 pages of users who have under 100 posts.

If there was a way to boil that down a bit, that would be ideal, but I understand if it's not. I do think there would be a number of people who might be liable to check out some other sites if their post count / TPs were reset, though. I mean, it's happened before a couple of times before SB Nation, but never have we moved to a completely different site and never has a CB forum lasted anywhere near this long.

I’m just curious, what does it matter if they are inactive? Why shouldn’t their posts carry over? Seems like it’s really just porting all the info over, and I’m no expert but wouldn’t it be easier to port all data over than to sift through it?

Does it matter if a new CB has 1,300 users (all of whom post regularly) or 43,000 (of which 1300 post regularly)?

It's not about posting regularly. Of the 43,000+ users, over 37,000 have never posted a single post. And of those 6,000+ who are 'active', almost a 1/4 of them have only posted once.

I fully understand that it is not necessarily feasible to sift through what users to keep and what ones are not worth keeping, just that it is interesting that 85-90% of the user names are completely obsolete.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:33:33 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2018, 08:49:21 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

It's not about posting regularly. Of the 43,000+ users, over 37,000 have never posted a single post. And of those 6,000+ almost a 1/4 of them have only posted once.

I fully understand that it is not necessarily feasible to sift through what users to keep and what ones are not worth keeping, just that it is interesting that 85-90% of the user names are completely obsolete.

You should try to keep Danny Ainge's account at least.

« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2018, 09:18:56 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

It's not about posting regularly. Of the 43,000+ users, over 37,000 have never posted a single post. And of those 6,000+ almost a 1/4 of them have only posted once.

that's some great info right there

how did you find it btw? - i had to go through the full member list - users with 0 posts start on p. 119  :P

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?action=mlist;sort=posts;desc;start=5900
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:14:00 PM by greece666 »

« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2018, 12:08:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Best of luck to you guys

how you doing ol sport. I'll be danged if i don't miss the heck out of you.

My handsome boys.

we wouldn't be who we are today without you tars.

« Reply #202 on: August 25, 2018, 12:46:03 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
The original announcement said that the change would happen sometime in August.  Since August is drawing to a close, any news on when the forums on the site will close and when the new ones will be unveiled? 

« Reply #203 on: August 25, 2018, 01:37:08 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I know I'm late to the funeral, but this breaks my heart (if I had one).

I'm not a tech guy, but I'm willing to donate some money if it helps keeping the forums alive.

Same. For once, Casperian and I agree on something. A modern miracle.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #204 on: August 25, 2018, 01:43:29 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

You should try to keep Danny Ainge's account at least.

And that one that Jordan Mickey's mom had. it was treeboy or something like that.

« Reply #205 on: August 27, 2018, 08:09:01 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
The original announcement said that the change would happen sometime in August.  Since August is drawing to a close, any news on when the forums on the site will close and when the new ones will be unveiled?
Hey, it's still August =)!

Kidding. Actually we've been working behind the scenes to make sure everything goes smoothly. This has stretched out the timeline a little bit, but SbNation has been gracious enough to keep everything running in the meantime. I would say "in September" is very likely now with little to no downtime.

Right now, I am successfully running a "new" version of the site and making some updates and fixes needed for a changeover. Doing things like removing SbNation IP, getting the email system working, etc.

As we get closer to launch, there will likely be a modest fundraiser to help cover some of the server & transition costs, for those that wish to contribute. Long term, we're doing our best to find options that make the site self-sufficient.

Thanks to everyone for your patience and support and please stay tuned for more updates!

« Reply #206 on: August 27, 2018, 08:12:27 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Kidding. Actually we've been working behind the scenes to make sure everything goes smoothly. This has stretched out the timeline a little bit, but SbNation has been gracious enough to keep everything running in the meantime. I would say "in September" is very likely now with little to no downtime.

Right now, I am successfully running a "new" version of the site and making some updates and fixes needed for a changeover. Doing things like removing SbNation IP, getting the email system working, etc.

As we get closer to launch, there will likely be a modest fundraiser to help cover some of the server & transition costs, for those that wish to contribute. Long term, we're doing our best to find options that make the site self-sufficient.

Thanks to everyone for your patience and support and please stay tuned for more updates!

Thanks for the update and good news.  Good job to you and all the rest working on the transition.  TP!

« Reply #207 on: August 27, 2018, 08:55:19 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208

Thank you to all involved in making the new site happen, I truly appreciate all of your hard work.  I may not post often but I have been on this site almost daily for many years.  It has been a great way for me to keep up with Celtics/Boston news while I am miles away.  I appreciate all the insights and banter.

I wish I could help out but I am not a tech guy.  Whenever you need to set something up for contributions I would be happy to donate.

Thanks again!
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #208 on: August 27, 2018, 11:03:34 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I would also be willing to contribute, but as far as sustainability, would it be possible to attract companies to advertise on the site? If so, I am not sure why SBNation couldn't do that, as well (as they do with the front page).

The forums have basically been running as their own site for several years now with no 'Latest Forum Topics' on the right hand side of the main page anymore and just a simple link to Forums. I suppose not much has to change on the usability of the site; it just sounds like SBNation wants nothing to do with it anymore. Hopefully a link will be possible.

this site is worth making it a premium pay site. However, yes, i post on a college board that is FREE and makes a killing with ad revenue.  The owner of that HUGE site could help us here.

also if we need serious shareholders I am up for buying shares of ownership.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #209 on: August 28, 2018, 02:38:47 AM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I would also be willing to contribute, but as far as sustainability, would it be possible to attract companies to advertise on the site? If so, I am not sure why SBNation couldn't do that, as well (as they do with the front page).

The forums have basically been running as their own site for several years now with no 'Latest Forum Topics' on the right hand side of the main page anymore and just a simple link to Forums. I suppose not much has to change on the usability of the site; it just sounds like SBNation wants nothing to do with it anymore. Hopefully a link will be possible.

this site is worth making it a premium pay site. However, yes, i post on a college board that is FREE and makes a killing with ad revenue.  The owner of that HUGE site could help us here.

also if we need serious shareholders I am up for buying shares of ownership.
Appreciate the dedication. Currently the plan is something like:

1) Have a smooth transition with as few differences as possible, on a small budget. Fix things that are broken, e.g. emails, connection issues, etc.

2) Work on tasteful ways to monetize the site. I don't want to elaborate prematurely, but I'm keenly aware of the need to have *some* revenue coming in long term. The strong preference is to keep it free. I think this community is worth a decent sponsor, but it will take some time to roll anything out after the move.

3) Find ways to improve and grow the forums, while preserving everything we already love. No major changes to the format, nothing crazy, but lots of ideas to incrementally improve the experience.

I have high hopes that the forums will be better than ever in the coming months.