Author Topic: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)  (Read 63964 times)

Re: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)
« Reply #180 on: August 05, 2018, 10:52:10 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
thanks byennie for helping shepard this all along.

do we have a tentative migration date yet?

most importantly, do we keep our valuable and cherished tps?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2018, 11:10:09 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

personally i think we should start fresh, (although i lost all of mine on a playoff bet  ;)  )

« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2018, 11:18:43 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

personally i think we should start fresh, (although i lost all of mine on a playoff bet  ;)  )

« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2018, 12:11:05 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

No dates yet, but will certainly work to keep this thread updated with anything firm.

The intention is for everything to port over, including tps.

« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2018, 12:56:32 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Once that day comes...I will have to abandon Jeff Clark and Celtics Blog because...Celtics Blog Forum is where my true home lies.

Just kidding, I'll try to drop by once in a while since I'm actively involved in Pats Pulpit  ;D :laugh:

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2018, 02:56:56 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Personally I think it would be prudent to start from scratch on the new forum because of how many dead accounts there would be on celtics blog forum, as it's impossible to delete an account even if someone wanted to.

As long as people use their old username and avatar everyone will know who you are anyway.

« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2018, 06:43:45 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I will be devastated if the post counter gets reset.  It took me 10 years to get to Page 1.

« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2018, 08:27:54 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Personally I think it would be prudent to start from scratch on the new forum because of how many dead accounts there would be on celtics blog forum, as it's impossible to delete an account even if someone wanted to.

As long as people use their old username and avatar everyone will know who you are anyway.

You're not wrong. Of the approximately 43,250 users (865 pages / 50 user per page), only about 1300 users have over 100 posts (ends on the 26th page). That is like 840 of the 865 pages of users who have under 100 posts.

If there was a way to boil that down a bit, that would be ideal, but I understand if it's not. I do think there would be a number of people who might be liable to check out some other sites if their post count / TPs were reset, though. I mean, it's happened before a couple of times before SB Nation, but never have we moved to a completely different site and never has a CB forum lasted anywhere near this long.

« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2018, 08:40:29 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

You're not wrong. Of the approximately 43,250 users (865 pages / 50 user per page), only about 1300 users have over 100 posts (ends on the 26th page). That is like 840 of the 865 pages of users who have under 100 posts.

If there was a way to boil that down a bit, that would be ideal, but I understand if it's not. I do think there would be a number of people who might be liable to check out some other sites if their post count / TPs were reset, though. I mean, it's happened before a couple of times before SB Nation, but never have we moved to a completely different site and never has a CB forum lasted anywhere near this long.
ideally, we'd carry over the post and TP counts from here and be able to send out a restricted mailing to those most likely to be reading the forums -- say people who've posted in the past year or 2.   

A couple of things I've wondered:
- would there be the same site rules, moderators and moderator functions as this site (would allow everyone to be familiar with operating practices before making changes).
- would there be the return of the "ignore" option?  I miss this function.  I found it saved a bit of frustration being able to avoid a few individuals that deliberately looked to troll on the site.

« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2018, 03:04:29 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Yeah, keeping post counts and the like as-is but jettisoning any account that hasn't posted in, say, over a year would make sense. I don't know how feasible that is, though.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2018, 03:15:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
keep all the tommy points!

« Reply #191 on: August 06, 2018, 03:53:28 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Yeah, keeping post counts and the like as-is but jettisoning any account that hasn't posted in, say, over a year would make sense. I don't know how feasible that is, though.

I think this might turn out to be problematic. Even inactive accounts have a post history, which you want to remain intelligible for the future.

Moreover, inactives are part of every internet medium I have ever used from email in the 1990s to discord today, IMO they are not a problem.

There are also many lurkers on this site as everywhere else, why alienate them.

« Reply #192 on: August 06, 2018, 05:48:48 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

No dates yet, but will certainly work to keep this thread updated with anything firm.

The intention is for everything to port over, including tps.

That would be great.  And thank you!

« Reply #193 on: August 06, 2018, 06:25:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Best of luck to you guys

« Reply #194 on: August 06, 2018, 06:49:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Best of luck to you guys

how you doing ol sport. I'll be danged if i don't miss the heck out of you.