Author Topic: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)  (Read 63644 times)

Re: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2018, 09:42:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I realize the sample size in this thread is small, but how do people generally feel about accessing the forum on mobile?

Works well enough? Do you stick to desktop?

Would a native app excite you if it was easier to use? Worth $0.99?
I use mobile 99% of the time. Works fine

Likewise.  I have zero problems with how the forums work on my iPhone, which is from where I overwhelmingly use the site.

There is another forum-type site that I use which had a native app, but I preferred just viewing the regular site.  Ultimately they discontinued the (free) app after a recent site redesign.

I've got a BB Z10 that is at least 5 years old, and the desktop version of this site loads perfect on my phone.  I'd actually be rather disappointed with an app.

« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2018, 09:44:30 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Tough luck that we definitively found out about this only a month prior to D-Day.  Is it safe to assume there will be a gap in time between said shutdown and opening of a new forum site?  Just trying to plan for the crater-sized void in my life.   :D

TBD but trying to avoid a gap if at all possible.

We appreciate the heck out of your efforts.

Yes, big thanks!

« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2018, 09:49:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
In response to byenne, I would not use a phone app at all. I always use a laptop or desk top computer.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2018, 09:49:46 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Tough luck that we definitively found out about this only a month prior to D-Day.  Is it safe to assume there will be a gap in time between said shutdown and opening of a new forum site?  Just trying to plan for the crater-sized void in my life.   :D

TBD but trying to avoid a gap if at all possible.

Yeah, as others have mentioned, props to you for taking the lead here on keeping the site alive.

I don't have much I can offer in terms of tech savy, nor money really, but I'll support the community wherever it goes.

« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2018, 09:59:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I realize the sample size in this thread is small, but how do people generally feel about accessing the forum on mobile?

I can access the forums pretty easily on my smart phone.

« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2018, 10:53:00 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
long time lurker. laker fan. will follow where and when this forum moves.

What's everyone saying about Xavier Rathan-Mayes in your neck of the woods? Absolutely love dat dude, lol ;D, ever since, well, performances such as these :o -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xliZAYWdrDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwGYhdzkHGY

« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2018, 11:45:35 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

It works on a phone, but it's much better on any computer.

« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2018, 11:59:54 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Computer all the way.  Want the large monitor and a real keyboard. 

« Reply #143 on: July 17, 2018, 09:52:04 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11820
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Thanks to you guys working to keep our technological bond together!

Please seek moral support at any and all times!

I am sure we can gather gifts, trophies and even tickets, but heroism has no price tag....will FLcelts still do game threads? Please? I hate change.,

I'm planning to be there to do the game threads just as I do them here.  I am grateful for those with the tech expertise to do all the heavy lifting in the move.  I'm completely clueless when it comes to technical stuff.  I also don't use a smart phone to do anything.  I access the forums strictly on my computer. 

« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2018, 09:55:07 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I use the forums on my phone, and they work fine.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2018, 10:16:23 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

The Mobile works adequately, but most mobile-friendly websites are so much better than Celtics blog. I'd appreciate a better mobile version.

« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2018, 10:21:19 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I use mobile about 99% of the time. I wouldn't use an app if I could avoid it, and also generally prefer having the desktop site on my phone instead of a mobile site (which I often find clunky).

Requesting the desktop site from my phone browser doesn't always work, though (but some sites, like reddit, have a setting that let's you default to the desktop site, presumably through a cookie). An option like that certainly isn't necessary, but it would be a good QOL option
I'm bitter.

« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

The Mobile works adequately, but most mobile-friendly websites are so much better than Celtics blog. I'd appreciate a better mobile version.

IT definitely requires a lot of pinching and enlarging and moving around, but it works fine (if you have a decent browser).  But yeh, it would be easier to not have to do all that I suppose.
Yup

« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2018, 10:29:46 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I couldn't disagree more. I find that the functionality and appearance of most mobile sites is poor, and prefer navigating a desktop site even if it means more zooming, etc.

Hopefully there's a solution that can make us both happy (although I don't expect everyone to be totally happy on day 1, we need something functional before we really worry about minor QOL stuff)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2018, 10:41:45 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
If possibly interested, I have close ties to a development team who would be able to make a native app or a web app hybrid of each. They do amazing work and pretty reasonable prices. I am not overwhelmed with money but would be willing to contribute to the cost. Would love to help in anyway I could. I am more of a reader than poster on the forum and would love to keep it going.

edit: If were going to meet the modern discussion world half way, maybe notfications and follows to notify when people reply or comment? Just a thought. Wish I. could follow up on some of the convos I started here