Author Topic: 12 Russians indicted for hacking DNC, Clinton/Helsinki Summit  (Read 9930 times)

Re: 12 Russians indicted for hacking DNC, Clinton
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2018, 03:11:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2087
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Trump's response so far

"It's Obama's fault"

and

"Deep State"

(I kid you not on the Deep State)

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1018072081676865536

We've all become numbed to this stuff to the point that a kind of shrugging snarkiness is easy to fall into, but taking a step back - since being informed of indictments against 12 foreign intelligence officers for a coordinated, extensive attack on America:

Things the President of the United States has done:

- attacked the investigation as a "fake witch hunt" and complained it's damaging our relationship with Russia. While standing next to the PM of our closest ally who just had a citizen die on their soil from exposure to a Russian nerve agent.

- referred to conspiracy theories that centered on denying the attacking country's role and blaming American intelligence and law enforcement communities for framing them.

- attacked his predecessor for the attack which he actively abetted and benefited from.

- attacked the American free press as an "enemy of the people", again.

- funneled millions of taxpayer dollars into a failing business he owns, again; played a full round of golf

Things the President of the United States has not done:

- condemned the attack or its perpetrators

- called off or altered a planned summit with the head of the country that attacked us, or a nearly unprecedented completely one-on-one meeting with him

- announced any strategy or intent to develop a strategy to retaliate against the attack or prevent it from happening again.

Let that swirl around in your mind for a few.  May you live in interesting times.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:28:36 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2018, 03:24:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5524
Trump's response so far

"It's Obama's fault"

and

"Deep State"

(I kid you not on the Deep State)

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1018072081676865536

We've all become numbed to this stuff to the point that a kind of shrugging snarkiness is easy to fall into, but taking a step back - since being informed of indictments against 12 foreign intelligence officers for a coordinated, extensive attack on America:

Things the President of the United States has done:

- attacked the investigation as a "fake witch hunt" and complained it's damaging our relationship with Russia. While standing next to the PM of our closest ally who just had a citizen die on their soil from exposure to a Russian nerve agent.

- referred to conspiracy theories that centered on denying the attacking country's role and blaming American intelligence and law enforcement communities for framing them.

- attacked his predecessor for the attack which he actively abetted and benefited from.

- attacked the free press as an "enemy of the people", again.

- funneled millions of taxpayer dollars into a failing business he owns, again; played golf

Things the President of the United States has not done:

- condemned the attack or its perpetrators

- called off or altered a planned summit with the head of the country that attacked us, or a nearly unprecedented completely one-on-one meeting with him

- announced any strategy or intent to develop a strategy to retaliate against the attack or prevent it from happening again.

Let that swirl around in your mind for a few.  May you live in interesting times.
You left out that he victim blamed the DNC for being hacked in the first place.

« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2018, 04:45:43 PM »

Online Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1061
I am pretty sure Saint, err Pres. Obama, knew about this as well and did little.

On July 21, 2016, the White House convened an interagency meeting including the FBI and intelligence agencies. At some point in this same time period, the FBI began a counterintelligence operation focused on whether the Trump campaign was involved with Russia’s interference efforts. That investigation stemmed from a tip offered by Australian authorities: In May, Trump campaign adviser George Papadopoulos had told an Australian diplomat he had been informed the Russians had a collection of emails that could be used against Clinton. Once the WikiLeaks posts on the DNC began, the Australian government informed the FBI about the Papadopoulos conversation.

In early August 2016, the White House received a report from the CIA indicating Putin had the aim of influencing the election and was working to damage Clinton while promoting Trump’s candidacy. CIA Director John Brennan had formed a secret task force of agents from the FBI, CIA and National Security Agency. Senior Obama administration officials began to meet in the Situation Room at the White House to discuss potential responses; those conversations were conducted at an exceptional level of security, excluding even top aides. Brennan sent a message to the Kremlin warning against interference efforts, a warning the administration thought would temper Russia’s activity.

Obama asked that his team develop a three-part response plan. First, getting more intelligence on what Russia was doing — and confirmation of the CIA’s assessment of Putin’s intentions. Then, bolstering state and local elections systems and seeking bipartisan support for a public response.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/02/21/what-obama-did-didnt-do-and-couldnt-do-in-response-to-russian-interference/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.753c53d0b18c

some former administration officials who have talked about it publicly have reproached themselves for not acting more aggressively. There also was a long-standing criticism of Obama that his foreign-policy making amounted to endless process with no outcomes — hours of meetings that yielded more meetings but no ultimate action.

Plus, the relationship between the United States and Russia is multifaceted and often intensely complicated:

Obama scaled back missile defense plans in Europe to placate Moscow.
Obama wanted Russia to play a role in the international agreement under which Iran agreed to restrict its nuclear program — and Putin went along.
Obama spent the end of his presidency trying to bring Russia into a multilateral agreement to end the Syrian civil war, but Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov ultimately never committed.

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/21/587614043/fact-check-why-didnt-obama-stop-russia-s-election-interference-in-2016

Were folks outraged about that?

Pres. Trump response has been nil.  But the outrage folks show towards him should also be dirrected to the previous administration as well afterall whose watch did it happen on.   I truly hope Pres. Trump  condemns this stuff and acts strongly at this meeting.  We all know this is not likely.  But I have always thought that Russian was more in check before he got emboldened under the Obama Administration.  Now that he is out of the bag it is going to be hard to get him back.   Putin takes measure of our leaders and sees exactly how far he can push them.  This summit he will be doing exactly that.

« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2018, 05:16:48 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 369
I am pretty sure Saint, err Pres. Obama, knew about this as well and did little.

On July 21, 2016, the White House convened an interagency meeting including the FBI and intelligence agencies. At some point in this same time period, the FBI began a counterintelligence operation focused on whether the Trump campaign was involved with Russia’s interference efforts. That investigation stemmed from a tip offered by Australian authorities: In May, Trump campaign adviser George Papadopoulos had told an Australian diplomat he had been informed the Russians had a collection of emails that could be used against Clinton. Once the WikiLeaks posts on the DNC began, the Australian government informed the FBI about the Papadopoulos conversation.

In early August 2016, the White House received a report from the CIA indicating Putin had the aim of influencing the election and was working to damage Clinton while promoting Trump’s candidacy. CIA Director John Brennan had formed a secret task force of agents from the FBI, CIA and National Security Agency. Senior Obama administration officials began to meet in the Situation Room at the White House to discuss potential responses; those conversations were conducted at an exceptional level of security, excluding even top aides. Brennan sent a message to the Kremlin warning against interference efforts, a warning the administration thought would temper Russia’s activity.

Obama asked that his team develop a three-part response plan. First, getting more intelligence on what Russia was doing — and confirmation of the CIA’s assessment of Putin’s intentions. Then, bolstering state and local elections systems and seeking bipartisan support for a public response.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/02/21/what-obama-did-didnt-do-and-couldnt-do-in-response-to-russian-interference/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.753c53d0b18c

some former administration officials who have talked about it publicly have reproached themselves for not acting more aggressively. There also was a long-standing criticism of Obama that his foreign-policy making amounted to endless process with no outcomes — hours of meetings that yielded more meetings but no ultimate action.

Plus, the relationship between the United States and Russia is multifaceted and often intensely complicated:

Obama wanted Russia to play a role in the international agreement under which Iran agreed to restrict its nuclear program — and Putin went along.
Obama spent the end of his presidency trying to bring Russia into a multilateral agreement to end the Syrian civil war, but Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov ultimately never committed.

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/21/587614043/fact-check-why-didnt-obama-stop-russia-s-election-interference-in-2016

Pres. Trump response has been nil.  But the outrage folks show towards him should also be dirrected to the previous administration as well afterall whose watch did it happen on.   I truly hope Pres. Trump  condemns this stuff and acts strongly at this meeting.  We all know this is not likely.  But I have always thought that Russian was more in check before he got emboldened under the Obama Administration.  Now that he is out of the bag it is going to be hard to get him back.   Putin takes measure of our leaders and sees exactly how far he can push them.  This summit he will be doing exactly that.

How do you think the feaver swamp would have responded if the Obama administration came out and said election integrity was being compromised by a the Russians?
The right would have screamed bloody murder that he was trying to delegitimize the election and declare himself president for life.

« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2018, 05:50:27 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1696
  • bammokja

On July 21, 2016, the White House convened an interagency meeting including the FBI ...

Pres. Trump response has been nil.  But the outrage folks show towards him should also be dirrected to the previous administration as well afterall whose watch did it happen on.  I truly hope Pres. Trump  condemns this stuff and acts strongly at this meeting.  We all know this is not likely.  But I have always thought that Russian was more in check before he got emboldened under the Obama Administration.  Now that he is out of the bag it is going to be hard to get him back.   Putin takes measure of our leaders and sees exactly how far he can push them.  This summit he will be doing exactly that.

mitch mcconnell blocked an attempt to investigate this with a bipartisan committee to investigate this in 2016.

trump has denied the attacks on the US have happened.

trump is friends with putin and has complimented putin, who is the person who ordered the attacks upon the US.

trump has steered the US people away from this attack on the country, blaming others instead of focusing upon putin and the russians who actually attacked the US.

trump assures us that the US people should trust putin, and not trust the FBI and other institutions in the US government who point the finger at putin and russia as responsible for the attacks on the US.

trump already knew months and months ago based upon the same information we all had from earlier investigations that the attacks were real, and has done nothing to stop putin or hold him responsible for the attacks.

trump is currently the president of the US, a country under attack by putin and his minions.

i dont find your response that you "hope" trump will finally stop siding with putin et al after trump's 30 years of business dealings with the russian gangsters and oligarchy to be much solace.

you seem to offer wishful thinking as a credible response to a president who is in office and not responding to foreign attacks upon the US. i have no idea why you do that.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2018, 06:26:14 PM »

Online Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
itch mcconnell blocked an attempt to investigate this with a bipartisan committee to investigate this in 2016.

trump has denied the attacks on the US have happened.

trump is friends with putin and has complimented putin, who is the person who ordered the attacks upon the US.

trump has steered the US people away from this attack on the country, blaming others instead of focusing upon putin and the russians who actually attacked the US.

trump assures us that the US people should trust putin, and not trust the FBI and other institutions in the US government who point the finger at putin and russia as responsible for the attacks on the US.

Look, I have said I did not like Pres. Trump's response but he is not the only one to blame here.  I think it has been weak and ineffective   

trump is currently the president of the US, a country under attack by putin and his minions.

i dont find your response that you "hope" trump will finally stop siding with putin et al after trump's 30 years of business dealings with the russian gangsters and oligarchy to be much solace.

you seem to offer wishful thinking as a credible response to a president who is in office and not responding to foreign attacks upon the US. i have no idea why you do that.

Historically, Presidents  get credit and take fault for what happens on their watch.  This happened under President Obama's watch.   It is just like he get's credit for getting Bin Laden but now the rules seem to have changed in the political spectrum.   Yet that does not seem to apply here because of the bias of some.

trump already knew months and months ago based upon the same information we all had from earlier investigations that the attacks were real, and has done nothing to stop putin or hold him responsible for the attacks.

Typically, guys running for election do not have the power to address policy.  He should have condemned it, certainly.  I am not defending Trump only pointing out that is he not soley to blame.   I have linked to fact based articles, yet, since they do not align to your world view you seem to acknowledge any cupability for this on the Obama Administration.

I don't trust Putin at all.   I served in the military during the end of the Cold War but then it never really ended did it.  I think Pres. Obama and Pres. Trump response to the hacking has been weak and ineffective.   I would wager that given I served in the US armed forces, I have greater dislike for the Russian Nation than you could ever imagine.

I was stationed around this place and my unit's mission was to plug the gap.

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the-lovely-little-town-that-would-have-been-absolutely-screwed-by-world-war-iii-933229e2ea52

In other word's we were to die to buy time.

But Putin has been emboldened since Pres. Bush left office it is a fact.   2014 is when Putin annexed the Ukraine.   They have got worse since then.   Pres. Obama was weak and Pres. Trump appears not take action.  I definitely think the latter is worse.

« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2018, 07:38:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith

I don't get blaming Obama for an attack by another country on our democracy. Do you want to criticize his response after he learned of the totality of the attack and possible collusion by members of his political opponents? That's fair.

Obama wanted confirmation of everything. He warned all the states election offices. And Obama couldn't come public as the media would have lambasted him and accused him of trying to influence the election. When all was said and done, Obama put sanctions on Russia just as he became a lame duck sitting President with disintegrating power.

If Obama has culpability here so does Congress.

Obama is a man of peace. The criticism of Obama that people made, as you referenced in the article were about Obama's handling of Syria and trying to get Congress on board with how it was going to go down. The Rebublican Congress of course wanted nothing to do with this and so SOS Kerry bailed him out on that. Obama tried to be all about ending wars, not starting them. And he had to fight tooth and nail against an extremely hawkish Pentagon who wanted nothing more than to fight wars and a Congress that basically would do the complete opposite of anything Obama wanted to do.

Given those facts, yeah, Obama could be criticized as being week, especially with Russia, and  in his response because he wanted complete confirmation, including knowledge of complicity with a Republican candidate. But he did eventually put those sanctions in place.

So in closing...criticize Obama's response of the hacking...I have no problem there though don't completely agree. But blame Obama for the Russian hacking...I think that's just wrong.

BTW, I also never thought 9/11 was Bush's fault. You simply can't blame an American for foreign attacks on us. You can't blame sitting presidents for attacks against the USA just because they didn't for the forsight to see it coming. Heck, that's what the Pentagon and the intelligence agencies are there for. What you want that sitting president and presidents that follow him to do is learn from it and do everything to prevent others from doing it again. Also, find and punish any responsible for that attack.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 07:45:31 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2018, 07:51:46 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1470
Romney was correct in 2012.

The more I think about how to end this administration in 2020, the more my mind goes to Mitt Romney.  Unfortunately, the timing is not ideal.  He'll be elected to the senate in 2018 and would almost immediately have to begin campaigning for president.  This makes me doubt he will run.   

Romney is the person who has, and can, credibly articulate the threat that is Russia.  He was subjected to criticism when he cited Russia as the biggest future threat to America in 2012.  But his statement proved prophetic as it is Russia who has clearly been the biggest ongoing threat to our democracy in recent years.   

Every Independent in America should be prepared to select a Republican ballot in the primaries and vote Romney.  He is smart enough, smooth enough, knowledgeable enough, to make Donald look like the little boy he is in comparison.  No other candidate (maybe Kasich, but i doubt it) can do it.  I voted for Obama over Romney in 2012, but I'd commit to Romney over ANY Democrat in 2020 if he can bump the sitting POTUS and gain the Republican nomination.   

I don't see a Democrat who would be able to beat Trump in 2020.

« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2018, 08:02:46 PM »

Online mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 583

(deleted for brevity)

First off, this is just blatant whutaboutism at it's finest.  Blaming Obama for his supposed inaction serves absolutely not purpose and does nothing to absolve the current administration for what it has and has not done.

Second, it ignores that IC leaders have made it clear that Obama DID take multiple non-public actions in response to the hacks.  He also ejected a huge number of Russian diplomats and shut down several facilities they were using in-US for their info-warfare and cyber-attack efforts.  He enacted sanctions and empowered the IC & FBI to investigate the case.

Third, a full-bore public response, though, he made contingent on agreement with both houses of Congress. Speaker Ryan indicated he thought he could get the House to side with a bi-partisan public response but Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell came down flat out against it.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.
#OneCitizenOneVote - True Election Reform:  Eliminate the anti-democratic Electoral College farce now.

« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2018, 08:08:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith

(deleted for brevity)

First off, this is just blatant whutaboutism at it's finest.  Blaming Obama for his supposed inaction serves absolutely not purpose and does nothing to absolve the current administration for what it has and has not done.

Second, it ignores that IC leaders have made it clear that Obama DID take multiple non-public actions in response to the hacks.  He also ejected a huge number of Russian diplomats and shut down several facilities they were using in-US for their info-warfare and cyber-attack efforts.  He enacted sanctions and empowered the IC & FBI to investigate the case.

Third, a full-bore public response, though, he made contingent on agreement with both houses of Congress. Speaker Ryan indicated he thought he could get the House to side with a bi-partisan public response but Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell came down flat out against it.
Yup.

« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2018, 10:38:58 PM »

Online Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 88
I think it’s disgusting that our president hasn’t taken a more forceful stand on this issue. It completely undermines our democracy.

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2018, 11:32:08 PM »

Offline greece666

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1314
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2018, 01:15:03 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Putin and the Russians are guilty but Hillary's whole team appaling lack of cyber-awareness is ultimately what did her in and let the emails to be hacked.   Phishing is a very low tech hack, I have read.

People are desperate to get someone to blame, but at the end of the day, she ran a horrible campaign against arguably the worst candidate ever.
So blame the victim?

I hate to say this, especially since I voted for her, and I realize that this will be an unpopular stance at the absolute minimum, but in all honesty, the only victim of the 2016 presidential election insofar as candidates are concerned is/was Bernie Sanders.

Christ, Al Gore didn't complain/whine this much in 2000 (and as he should have done, imo).

Hard to do it back to the Russians because their elections are rigged.

Yeah! They do it to themselves all the time, thats why they are so good at it!

With all due respect, they had great teachers.

Hard to do it back to the Russians because their elections are rigged.
Well a good start would be to demand the indicted Russian nationals be turned over to face trial.
This will not happen... wonder why?

Well, for starters, because it is, in fact, against Russian law, iirc, so that's out of the way.

How do you think the feaver swamp would have responded if the Obama administration came out and said election integrity was being compromised by a the Russians?
The right would have screamed bloody murder that he was trying to delegitimize the election and declare himself president for life.

While I'm not sure about Obama declaring himself president for life, to put it mildly, lol ::) ;D, I completely agree with your first sentence. Whoever was reading the political tea leaves in Moscow at the time unfortunately played the circumstances to absolute perfection. #Checkmate

I would wager that given I served in the US armed forces, I have greater dislike for the Russian Nation than you could ever imagine.

I recognize that you're ex-military, but why do you still loathe the Russian State?

But Putin has been emboldened since Pres. Bush left office it is a fact.

It is not a fact. Not even close.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/05/americans-spot-election-meddling-doing-years-vladimir-putin-donald-trump

While I am with you 100%, I hate to say it, dude, but the vast majority of Americans simply have no interest in a history lesson, irrespective as to its importance :-\. Sigh.

« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2018, 07:17:15 AM »

Online Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
I don't get blaming Obama for an attack by another country on our democracy. Do you want to criticize his response after he learned of the totality of the attack and possible collusion by members of his political opponents? That's fair.

I did not, I said it happened on his watch which is a fact.  I was simply pointing that as usual, the partisan folks don't see the faults in their own side.  There was zero outrage towards Pres. Obama.   Just like there was zero outrage when he said NATO should pay their fair share.

The response by Pres. Obama was tepid and the response from Pres. Trump has been nil. 

I think Sen. Cory Gardner got it right when he said Russia is a state sponsor of Terror and should be treated as such.

I think the Russians would try to do this no matter who was president.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:07:10 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2018, 08:31:08 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 8945

I did not, I said it happened on his watch which is a fact.  I was simply pointing that as usual, the partisan folks don't see the faults in their own side.  There was zero outrage towards Pres. Obama.   Just like there was zero outrage when he said NATO should pay their fair share.

The response by Pres. Obama was tepid and the response from Pres. Trump has been nil. 

I think Sen. Cory Gardner got it right when he said Russia is a state sponsor of Terror and should be treated as such.

I think the Russians would try to do this no matter who was president.
other than the bolded part, you're pretty much right.  there's a number of people (on both sides) that think Obama screwed up with how he handled this. 

He should have done more about this when it was occurring.  The question is 'what should he have done that wouldn't have skewed the election one way or the other'?