Author Topic: 12 Russians indicted for hacking DNC, Clinton/Helsinki Summit  (Read 4946 times)

Re: 12 Russians indicted for hacking DNC, Clinton
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2018, 08:54:47 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 13
McCain and Graham calling on Trump to take stand against Russian election interference before Helsinki summit

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/07/13/mccain-says-helsinki-summit-should-not-move-forward-unless-trump-takes-firm-stand-against-russian-meddling.html

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2018, 11:15:13 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 508
Here is what he explained about that:

SINCE HACKERS STOLE emails from the Democratic National Committee and dispersed them across the internet last summer, the world has waited for a parallel leak of Republican secrets. Now on the other side of the election, that second reveal still hasn't materialized. But FBI director James Comey has now told Congress new details of the Republican prong of those political intrusions, which US intelligence now believe were carried out by the Russian government: The attackers penetrated GOP organizations, and also stole Republican National Committee emails, albeit ones less current than those stolen from the DNC.

In a hearing before the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence Tuesday, Comey offered a few fresh scraps of information about Russian hackers' targeting of Republican organizations along with Democratic ones, noting that state-level GOP targets and a disused RNC email domain were penetrated, while also confirming for the first time that the FBI doesn't believe Trump's campaign itself was hacked. "There was evidence that there was hacking directed at state-level organizations and the RNC, but old domains of the RNC, that is, email domains they were no longer using," Comey told the Senate committee. "Information was harvested from there, but it was old stuff. None of that was released."
https://www.wired.com/2017/01/russia-hacked-older-republican-emails-fbi-director-says/

It's important to caution that, in cases where the attackers gained username/password combinations (such as through successful targeted spear fishing attacks, which were apparently also used against RNC individuals) they may have been able to log in to more systems than just the 'old' servers because often individuals end up using the same credentials.   And in these cases, it's possible that the attackers got access to data beyond what is known for certain.   Because if they simply attach to a POP/IMAP/Exchange server and copy all the mail for a user down, while logged in as that user, that's not going to necessarily get flagged.  Because that's something that normal user mail clients do.

So all we know is that (a) they did hack at least _some_ RNC servers and that they did copy at least _some_ data and (b) that they did not _release_ any of whatever they did get.

We don't know that they didn't get access to _more_ data than what has been confirmed.

So absence of evidence is not evidence of absence?  ;)

Darn you and your concise way of saying things!!!   >:(
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.
#OneCitizenOneVote - True Election Reform:  Eliminate the anti-democratic Electoral College farce now.

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2018, 11:50:05 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 876
  • Mr. Emoji
LOL, unfortunately, this is all that comes to mind, bahaha ;D -

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 11:56:54 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2018, 12:21:46 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1996
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I would like to know the name of this Congressional candidate. Like right now. Especially if they won.

It appears to be Mast from Fla.
lots of detail here (it’s a mess).
https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2018/07/13/florida-republicans-play-starring-roles-in-russia-hacking-indictment-510037

It kinda looks like Bustamante might be the unnamed consultant/political media guy named in the indictments; the Congressional candidate is phrased as contacting Guccifer directly. The fun thing about this operation is that there's no lack of deserving candidates.

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2018, 07:21:01 AM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 13
I would like to know the name of this Congressional candidate. Like right now. Especially if they won.

It appears to be Mast from Fla.
lots of detail here (it’s a mess).
https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2018/07/13/florida-republicans-play-starring-roles-in-russia-hacking-indictment-510037

It kinda looks like Bustamante might be the unnamed consultant/political media guy named in the indictments; the Congressional candidate is phrased as contacting Guccifer directly. The fun thing about this operation is that there's no lack of deserving candidates.

Bustamante indeed.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2018, 09:21:27 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
At this point Trumps inaction against Russia is treason.

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2018, 09:35:59 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1342

Given the timing of these indictments on the heels the senate affirmation of Russian meddling, I have no doubt that Trump will emerge from the Putin meeting reporting his own bravado and tough talk, claiming no one is tougher on Russia than Trump. 

I wish that the indictments and senate hearing conclusions had come after the Trump-Putin summit because I think without the current attention to the meddling that Trump would have been even softer than I think he’ll actually be. He will tough talk enough to satisfy the base but will still be putty in Putin’s (large) hands.

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2018, 09:42:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1038
He should absolutely put some sanctions on  Russian for this hacking.

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2018, 10:20:02 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1996
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

LOL remember last year when Trump met privately with Putin and came out like "great news you guys, we decided to form a joint cybersecurity unit to protect our elections!"

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2018, 10:39:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
Putin and the Russians are guilty but Hillary's whole team appaling lack of cyber-awareness is ultimately what did her in and let the emails to be hacked.   Phishing is a very low tech hack, I have read.

People are desperate to get someone to blame, but at the end of the day, she ran a horrible campaign against arguably the worst candidate ever.

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2018, 11:02:28 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 895
Putin and the Russians are guilty but Hillary's whole team appaling lack of cyber-awareness is ultimately what did her in and let the emails to be hacked.   Phishing is a very low tech hack, I have read.

People are desperate to get someone to blame, but at the end of the day, she ran a horrible campaign against arguably the worst candidate ever.

Strike Hillary and insert Democrats.

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2018, 11:15:43 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 2364

Phishing is low-tech, but also difficult to prevent. All you need is one person to fall for a well-written scam email and you can start to get access.  With a large enough organization for potential targets and enough attempts, you’re going to get through.  Twelve trained hackers dedicated to breaking into the DNC?  They had no chance as a private organization.
“When an alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.”

Leviticus 19:33-34

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2018, 11:18:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
Phishing is low-tech, but also difficult to prevent. All you need is one person to fall for a well-written scam email and you can start to get acces

You would think that people at that level of government or that involved in politics would know better, right?

I mean it is Cyber Security 101

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2018, 11:28:45 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27786
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Phishing is low-tech, but also difficult to prevent. All you need is one person to fall for a well-written scam email and you can start to get acces

You would think that people at that level of government or that involved in politics would know better, right?

Yeah, it wasn’t a particularly sophisticated attack. Their IT guy was just an idiot.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-phishing-email-that-hacked-the-account-of-john-podesta/

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 2364

Yes and no.  Having worked in the government, you’d be amazed at the shear volume of attacks.  Most of them get filtered by IT before they get to people’s email accounts, but about one a week made it through, and the ones that did were very well-written, directed specifically to agency employees.  In a 1000 person organization, I’m sure they got some hits.  I’ll hope our IT staff had ways to figure out who was compromised quickly, and I do know of people who were taken off sensitive projects because they fell for an attack, but the reason phishing is so prevalent is that it largely succeeds based on sheer willpower.

The DNC’s error was hubris, in thinking they could handle it themselves, and not seeking assistance immediately.  Also, hubris in general.
“When an alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.”

Leviticus 19:33-34