Author Topic: IT signs with Denver for veteran’s minimum  (Read 7060 times)

Re: IT signs with Denver for veteran’s minimum
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2018, 10:11:52 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Tough situation for IT.  At his worst, a min contract is an underpay.  And Denver has some young and talented guard depth. 

While I'm possibly the biggest IT fan this side of the Danube river, it's clear that he did benefit from being #1 option in a well-spaced system.  And he'll be 30 in February, which should be a national holiday(...) but doesn't bode well for his future.

But Denver is an exciting team that just missed the playoffs by an OT loss.  If given the opportunity, he can be the extra piece to make the playoffs and perhaps rehab both his body and value this season.  And of course, if the injury bug bit, IT could lead from a starting role. 

I'm not very optimistic for his future in the association, but regardless of how it plays out, IT will go down as one of the most exciting Celtics I've ever seen.  I wish nothing but the best for him.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:18:10 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2018, 10:33:23 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
He's making a smart move I think.  If his hip is better he'll be able to showcase himself for a big deal next summer.  His mistake unfortunately was getting too wrapped up with what was going on here vs looking out for his own long term interests.  I really hope it works out for him.  He's one of my favorite players to watch.  Looking forward to Nuggets games this season.

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2018, 10:48:09 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Bummed for IT, especially since it was giving his all for us that probably cost him tens of millions (nobody was ever giving him the full-length max though). Kinda surprised he couldn't even get a mid-level. But after the past 13 months I'm just glad he's still in the league.

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2018, 11:10:34 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
To go from an all nba player with contract expected to be around Kyle Lowry's deal somewhere to a twice traded player signing for the minimum, yikes.

Hoping he's got that bounce back and can rebuild his value, watching him playing OKC 3 years ago from a baseline angle was absolutely thrilling. Hoping he can be that player again.

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2018, 11:12:26 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
He's making a smart move I think.  If his hip is better he'll be able to showcase himself for a big deal next summer. His mistake unfortunately was getting too wrapped up with what was going on here vs looking out for his own long term interests.  I really hope it works out for him.  He's one of my favorite players to watch.  Looking forward to Nuggets games this season.

I am not sure how anyone can conclude that this is true.  It might be true, it might not.  I think his hip was going to eventually fail no matter what.  It is not because he played 6 more playoff games or whatever before shutting it down.  But my opinion is as equally speculative as yours.

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2018, 11:17:14 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Denver is easily my favorite non-Celtics team in the league.  Super fun roster.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2018, 11:19:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Man I'm glad I'll literally never get to watch a single one of their [dang] games because a defunct TV service that isn't even sold anymore to still has legacy customers and carries the denver market area channel.

God I hate how stupid the NBA's blackout system is.

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2018, 11:22:39 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Man I'm glad I'll literally never get to watch a single one of their [dang] games because a defunct TV service that isn't even sold anymore to still has legacy customers and carries the denver market area channel.

This doesn't help with watching the games after the fact, but I strongly recommend you google some combination of the words

"reddit"

"streaming"

"NBA"

and see what you find.

I've never had a problem watching a game live.  Now, if you want to watch a replay ... well, League Pass can let you do that if you're willing to wait 12-48 hours.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2018, 11:25:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

This doesn't help with watching the games after the fact, but I strongly recommend you google some combination of the words

"reddit"

"streaming"

"NBA"

and see what you find.
Yeah before I wasn't so invested in Jokic being fun to go around using the league pass I paid for. With IT in the fold I'm absolutely hitting google with the proper parameters.

I'm paying for league pass anyways so I feel no remorse.

(Bonus fun NBA also blacks out Bulls/OKC/Wolves intermittently, every NBA city within 800 miles is apparently my local team)

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2018, 11:46:19 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

"reddit"

"streaming"

"NBA"

and see what you find.
Yeah before I wasn't so invested in Jokic being fun to go around using the league pass I paid for. With IT in the fold I'm absolutely hitting google with the proper parameters.

(Bonus fun NBA also blacks out Bulls/OKC/Wolves intermittently, every NBA city within 800 miles is apparently my local team)

I pay for league pass during the regular season but it often prevents me from watching the games i actually want to take the time to watch because they're nationally televised.  kinda makes me rethink paying for league pass.  but i also use it a lot to watch celts games after the fact since they're usually mostly over before i have dinner (living in PST).
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2018, 12:33:22 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

"reddit"

"streaming"

"NBA"

and see what you find.

I pay for league pass during the regular season but it often prevents me from watching the games i actually want to take the time to watch because they're nationally televised.  kinda makes me rethink paying for league pass.  but i also use it a lot to watch celts games after the fact since they're usually mostly over before i have dinner (living in PST).

Getting deeper and deeper into the gray area, but if you use a VPN when you register for League Pass and sign up from a different country, you can get a lower price and none of the blackout restrictions (for both local and national games).

Have to do it when you sign up at the beginning of the year (so make sure you're not auto-renewing in the US), and then each time you sign in after that just make sure you're using the VPN country location you signed up with.  Supposedly League Pass from India was by far the cheapest last year. 

You're still paying the NBA for their product, just taking advantage of cheaper international rates/fewer restrictions.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2018, 01:37:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2018, 03:45:47 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Denver sure has a history on signing short-height players. Earl Boykins...now Isaiah Thomas?!

Don't forget Michael Adams!

Chris Jackson / Abdul rauf. Too. 😄   I have a good feeling about this for IT. Happy for him

Chris Jackson is a sad case of getting blackballed in his prime.   :(

Assume that IT is OK with being a backup to Harris and Murray.

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2018, 04:55:44 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
He's making a smart move I think.  If his hip is better he'll be able to showcase himself for a big deal next summer. His mistake unfortunately was getting too wrapped up with what was going on here vs looking out for his own long term interests.  I really hope it works out for him.  He's one of my favorite players to watch.  Looking forward to Nuggets games this season.

I am not sure how anyone can conclude that this is true.  It might be true, it might not.  I think his hip was going to eventually fail no matter what.  It is not because he played 6 more playoff games or whatever before shutting it down.  But my opinion is as equally speculative as yours.

It's pretty clear from the fact that the Celtics fired their entire longtime training staff that they felt IT's injury was at best mismanaged and misrepresented at worst. 

The long term impact on his career has been catastrophic.  It really goes to show that guys like Kawhi have the right idea shutting themselves down for 1-2 seasons with minor injuries and maintaining their value for the next big contract rather than attempting to play through injuries and risking 70-100 million dollars in income.

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2018, 05:01:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Denver sure has a history on signing short-height players. Earl Boykins...now Isaiah Thomas?!

Don't forget Michael Adams!

Chris Jackson / Abdul rauf. Too. 😄   I have a good feeling about this for IT. Happy for him
Ty Lawson too