Author Topic: Lebron mural scrapped in LA after repeated vandalism  (Read 2312 times)

Lebron mural scrapped in LA after repeated vandalism
« on: July 12, 2018, 02:36:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Wow this is kind of nuts

"Never received plenty of positive feedback, but he said his art was also met by criticism from some fans, especially on social media, over what he intended to be a play off of the "King James" nickname. He heard from some who objected to James being the "King of LA." Then the mural was first vandalized with someone spray-painting "We Don't Want You," "No King" and "3-6" on it in apparent reference to James' record in the NBA Finals."

"I got a ton of support," Never said. "At first when we had the original piece, there was a ton of positivity, but also a ton of like pro-Kobe, anti-LeBron sentiment. [Some] people didn't like it in general, not necessarily the work, but the sentiment that went with it. People had a big problem with the word 'of.' I get where they are coming from."

Never fixed it and decided to take "of" off "The King of LA." But Never said it was vandalized again sometime Tuesday night and he decided to call it a wrap."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24072288/artist-paints-lebron-james-mural-more-vandalism

Re: Lebron mural scrapped in LA after repeated vandalism
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 03:02:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Outside of Cleveland and Miami, there's just a load of people that hate Lebron. If Lebron ever signed here, before he ever played a game, I am sure there would be a whole lot of Lebron hate, including vandalism of murals and posters around town calling him the "King of Boston". Heck look how many on this site hated Kyrie before he started playing here. Many still hate him. And before coming here, Kyrie wasn't nearly hated in this town as much as Lebron is.

I guess I am saying color me unsurprised by this story,

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 03:26:28 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Lebron will never win the "Kobe v. Lebron" debate in LA. 

Just won't happen, Kobe is too beloved by that fanbase & the moment a thing becomes "Lebron v. Kobe", they'll be super defensive about it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 03:33:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
what else would you expect from that place  :-\

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 03:40:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Outside of Cleveland and Miami, there's just a load of people that hate Lebron. If Lebron ever signed here, before he ever played a game, I am sure there would be a whole lot of Lebron hate, including vandalism of murals and posters around town calling him the "King of Boston". Heck look how many on this site hated Kyrie before he started playing here. Many still hate him. And before coming here, Kyrie wasn't nearly hated in this town as much as Lebron is.

You think if Lebron came here people would defacing the murals? Maybe I am naive but I would have been surprised by that.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 03:56:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

You think if Lebron came here people would defacing the murals? Maybe I am naive but I would have been surprised by that.
Yeah, clay, I would expect that and not be surprised by it in the least. A "King of Boston" mural? For a team with former players like Cousy, Russell, Havlicek, Bird, Pierce and KG? In a town with other sports legends like Ted Williams, Carl Yaz, Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, David Ortiz, Tom Brady, Bobby Orr, Ray Borque, and others? I think that mural would definitely be a target for vandalism

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 04:26:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Yeah, clay, I would expect that and not be surprised by it in the least. A "King of Boston" mural? For a team with former players like Cousy, Russell, Havlicek, Bird, Pierce and KG? In a town with other sports legends like Ted Williams, Carl Yaz, Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, David Ortiz, Tom Brady, Bobby Orr, Ray Borque, and others? I think that mural would definitely be a target for vandalism

I personally wouldn't do that ever.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 04:49:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 05:02:40 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
It's like putting a Kobe mural in Boston.

Can't coexist like that. And "King of LA?" Hasn't even played one minute for the Lakers and he already the king of LA lol. The artist should know what's coming for him if he puts a mural like that in Los Angeles. Put something else, remove the "King of LA", or don't put anything at all lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 05:20:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Can't coexist like that. And "King of LA?" Hasn't even played one minute for the Lakers and he already the king of LA lol. The artist should know what's coming for him if he puts a mural like that in Los Angeles. Put something else, remove the "King of LA", or don't put anything at all lol.

Probably should say "King in LA" OR "Welcome to LA King" or "Hey Lebron, we are gonna play you more with ball handlers so you can operate out of the post because you are getting older and we want to preserve you"

One of those three.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 07:19:01 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
what else would you expect from that place  :-\

L.A. and L.B.J both suck as egomaniacal and pretentious.

A match made in heaven Hades. Hope they both go down in flames.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 09:24:30 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

This.  He needs to win not one, not two, not three, not four...championships before he is King of Kobe/Magic/Kareen town.  ;D

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 10:32:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

This.  He needs to win not one, not two, not three, not four...championships before he is King of Kobe/Magic/Kareen town.  ;D
Couldn't agree more. Hate the Lakers but got mad respect for the players that have made that franchise great. King of LA. Dude, get in line behind Kobe, Shaq, Magic, Kareem, West, Wilt, and Elgin.

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 10:38:28 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Not quite - LeBron was never really a Laker rival, by the time he started his Finals streak they were becoming irrelevant.

It's more like if Durant came here and they were calling him the "King of Boston" but like 3 years after Larry Bird retired.  Durant was never really our rival but there'd be some backlash there for sure.

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 11:35:50 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Not quite - LeBron was never really a Laker rival, by the time he started his Finals streak they were becoming irrelevant.

It's more like if Durant came here and they were calling him the "King of Boston" but like 3 years after Larry Bird retired.  Durant was never really our rival but there'd be some backlash there for sure.
It would be like if people started calling Nique the 'King of Boston' when he played for us, lol. Imagine the chaos
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)