Author Topic: Celtics have some interest in Kyle Korver, Cavs unlikely to move him  (Read 3752 times)

Re: Celtics have some interest in Kyle Korver, Cavs unlikely to move him
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 09:27:32 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Edit: if we were a willing taxpayer then Smart would be signed already. That's the biggest giveaway
Would we?

Ainge squeezes his RFA without much fail no matter the tax situation, Remember the Rondo extension or the Glen Davis one?

Rondo didn't sign his extension till November and his upcoming RFA status was a big part of that negotiation.

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 09:36:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I don't think giving up a first round pick for Korver is worth it.

I don't see it happening for the Cavs either, no team gave up a pick for Tyreke after all.

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 09:39:08 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Morris for Korver, who says no?
Danny.

We have defensive wings that could replace Morris' production. Korver gives the Celtics a sharpshooter with an extra year on his deal. Morris is an expiring (that is going to walk), who has already made statements questioning where he fits in here now.
If we made that trade and Smart takes the QO then I believe we are right on the luxury tax, maybe over. Not sure I see us risking that for a marginal upgrade

QO not happening. We are tax payers, time to accept it.

I'd rather not. Just accepting it is a rather short sighted move, the type a Memphis or Washington level front office would do.

If Smart is resigned long term, Morris or Yab are gone, whichever brings us back under the tax.

If we're a tax team this year then someone like Al doesn't get resigned at the end of his contract, would you accept that?
FACT: Celtics are paying the tax this year.  Read my post just above yours.

Sundance said enough (tp), but these are the kind of posts that do not help anything. I am sure you have been a Cs fan for a number of years or you wouldn't be here - why in the world would you take what Danny says at face value?

Speaking in absolutes like this, especially for something that is as important to the Cs as cap management, makes you sound pretty uninformed. I am not saying they absolutely won't go over the tax, but you can believe that Danny will do everything he can to stay below this year if at all possible. If we do go over, I imagine it will be pretty significantly. And, no, I don't believe that just means re-signing Smart.

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 10:20:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
unless the C's pull off a major trade I would be outright stunned if the team pays the luxury tax this year.  It is critically important to not start the repeater tax period until absolutely necessary (which is next summer).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 10:33:04 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Danny.

We have defensive wings that could replace Morris' production. Korver gives the Celtics a sharpshooter with an extra year on his deal. Morris is an expiring (that is going to walk), who has already made statements questioning where he fits in here now.
If we made that trade and Smart takes the QO then I believe we are right on the luxury tax, maybe over. Not sure I see us risking that for a marginal upgrade

I'd rather not. Just accepting it is a rather short sighted move, the type a Memphis or Washington level front office would do.

If Smart is resigned long term, Morris or Yab are gone, whichever brings us back under the tax.

If we're a tax team this year then someone like Al doesn't get resigned at the end of his contract, would you accept that?

Sundance said enough (tp), but these are the kind of posts that do not help anything. I am sure you have been a Cs fan for a number of years or you wouldn't be here - why in the world would you take what Danny says at face value?

Speaking in absolutes like this, especially for something that is as important to the Cs as cap management, makes you sound pretty uninformed. I am not saying they absolutely won't go over the tax, but you can believe that Danny will do everything he can to stay below this year if at all possible. If we do go over, I imagine it will be pretty significantly. And, no, I don't believe that just means re-signing Smart.
Ha, ha, very good, thanks for your complement, I have indeed been an avid Celtics fan since Larry Bird's rookie season.  However, your opinion of how informed I am is of no value, to anyone.

Tell me this:  Danny is brilliant at saying a lot of stuff that really means nothing.  Why, in this case, would he reveal something so specific as that they expect to pay the tax.  Smokescreen?

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 11:14:47 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Cavs are so poorly run.

Nobody giving a first round pick for him

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 11:16:49 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
If their salaries were equal I'd be all in on Morris for Korver straight up.

Morris has some toughness and pretty good D but I really don't like his offensive game, it doesn't really match what the Celts are trying to do IMO.

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 11:18:43 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Danny.

Ha, ha, very good, thanks for your complement, I have indeed been an avid Celtics fan since Larry Bird's rookie season.  However, your opinion of how informed I am is of no value, to anyone.

Tell me this:  Danny is brilliant at saying a lot of stuff that really means nothing.  Why, in this case, would he reveal something so specific as that they expect to pay the tax.  Smokescreen?
One example of why would be to deter teams from giving Marcus a hefty offer sheet. They would be less likely to do so if they thought Boston would match.
If he had said, "we aren't paying the luxury tax this year", even Brooklyn could cause us difficulty with an offer sheet to Marcus

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 11:38:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Cavs are so poorly run.

Nobody giving a first round pick for him
NOP/CLE both have managed to have MVP caliber players and never drafted anyone else to play with them with any of their other picks. Not even a nice role player, just amazing....

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 11:42:54 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I generally like Korver but how did he look against GSW last year? He couldn't get a shot off.

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 11:49:28 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Danny.

I think you're interpreting his statement wrong, or at least I have a different interpretation.  Danny said:

"It's my job to be fiscally responsible.  But we will pay the tax, I mean we're planning on being a tax payer, for sure."

Being a tax payer is not the same as being a tax payer this year.

I would guess Danny takes more of a "dynasty" view then an individual season view when it comes to the team. No doubt, Danny and the team plan to pay the tax with this current iteration of the Celtics, but it would be fiscally responsible to put it off one more year if possible.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:01:54 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class