Author Topic: Potential cheap Monroe replacement?  (Read 6312 times)

Re: Potential cheap Monroe replacement?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 06:43:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Bob Williams is the replacement, better on D and a work in progress on his post game.

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 10:21:25 AM »

Offline Verticality

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Bob Williams is the replacement, better on D and a work in progress on his post game.

And, we can hope, on his pick and roll game.

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 10:30:51 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Alex Len???
Seem like Williams cant be depended on..late twice. forget wallet twice, health problems..he should be sent to Maine all year to develop and learn about life
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 12:46:21 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Don't let Jahlil anywhere near Bob Williams.

I sure hope CB doesn't continue this "Bob" routine. Saying it once or twice is humorous. Repeating it over and over again when he doesn't like it is not funny.

Most everyone wants to be respected when called by their name. There may be personal reasons why he doesn't like that name or prefers Rob or Robert. We should respect that. 

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 01:19:27 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
The cheapest Monroe replacement can be added to a Nader replacement = a rack of balls.

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 01:29:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think we should just give Yabu whatever minutes a 4th center would get and see if he can play.

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 02:02:01 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
I think we should just give Yabu whatever minutes a 4th center would get and see if he can play.

I like Yabu as a person...not so much as a solution to the Celtics solution for a center...4th string, maybe.
My main complaint is his 3-point shooting and shooting in general. It isn't nearly what it was billed out to be and doubt it will improve much in time.

What I find interesting is how poorly jump shooters shoot against him. He doesn't block shots, but think his large body intimidates or distracts them. I'm not talking about players under the basket, more like those who shoot 7 feet out and more. Has anyone else noticed this?   

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 02:24:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I like Yabu as a person...not so much as a solution to the Celtics solution for a center...4th string, maybe.
I mean Al Horford, Aron Baynes, Daniel Theis are going to be our top 3 centers that much is clear.

My main complaint is his 3-point shooting and shooting in general. It isn't nearly what it was billed out to be and doubt it will improve much in time.

What I find interesting is how poorly jump shooters shoot against him. He doesn't block shots, but think his large body intimidates or distracts them. I'm not talking about players under the basket, more like those who shoot 7 feet out and more. Has anyone else noticed this?
I agree that he's not lived up to the hype/hope so far. But If we're carrying his salary we should give him a shot. If he doesn't see the court I expect us to pass on his option or pick it up only to trade dump him.

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 02:31:31 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
What do you guys think about the Celtics taking a chance on Jahlil Okafor as a potential cheap, younger Monroe replacement/upgrade?

He's still very young and has potential as a scorer, despite his weaknesses on defense. We could also use another big man on the roster that complements the defense and athleticism of Robert Williams.
Love see what Okafor would do with CBS coaching.

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 02:52:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What do you guys think about the Celtics taking a chance on Jahlil Okafor as a potential cheap, younger Monroe replacement/upgrade?

He's still very young and has potential as a scorer, despite his weaknesses on defense. We could also use another big man on the roster that complements the defense and athleticism of Robert Williams.
Love see what Okafor would do with CBS coaching.
Yeah because Stevens did so much with James Young, Jordan Mickey, Abdel Nader, and Jared Sullinger. It can be argued that he really didn't make Marcus Smart and Kelly Olynyk any better than they were before they entered the league.

Stevens is a great coach and has done a great job developing some players. He also did very little to nothing for a bunch of players.

Because of this I think usually Stevens will develop good players and not develop bad players,

I think Okafor is a bad player. Don't see Stevens being able to do anything with him.

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 03:13:53 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If we didn't draft Williams, I would probably be up for it. Even though advanced statistics wouldn't necessarily support this, Okafor had a pretty promising rookie year before falling off the edge of the earth.

He seems like the kind-of guy whose career could have gone in a different trajectory had he been surrounded by a better support system early on. Unfortunately, for him, he is now just stuck trying to make a roster.

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2018, 05:13:29 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Is Al Jefferson still looking for work?  Cuz that wouldn't be a worse idea.

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2018, 05:15:24 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Didn't Jefferson sign in China?

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 05:42:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yup...Okafor would do well to do the same thing. Over there he could probably put up 50 and 25 per game. He could be a huge star over there

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 06:06:03 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Yup...Okafor would do well to do the same thing. Over there he could probably put up 50 and 25 per game. He could be a huge star over there

Yeah, I was thinking JO is probably China bound.  He is well suited to that league. Could be MVP. And then still have no NBA team sign him for the stretch/ playoffs when their season ends.