Author Topic: IT: “tell Boston I’ll come back for a year lol”  (Read 12851 times)

Re: IT: “tell Boston I’ll come back for a year lol”
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2018, 09:55:12 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Thanks but no thanks. Not even for the minimum.

When IT was playing for the C's, the whole team was built around him. We had 3 defensive minded players + Horford as a willing facilitator on offense + IT.

IT
Bradley
Crowder
Amir
Horford

As currently constructed, the C's have far too many offensive options: Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Horford, Morris, Rozier. No need for IT and his terrible defense anymore.

Wouldn't even want him to come off the bench. It's only logical to assume that at least 1-2 of our starters will always be on the floor to provide an offensive spark.

I’m not sure if we can say that the team was built around IT in terms of personnel. Perhaps in terms of offensive/defensive schemes sure, but if IT were to sign back here, he would still be surrounded by capabale defenders + Horford. The difference would be these defenders are also good on offense, and IT wouldn’t be spending the majority of his time guarding opposing starters.

If you’re saying IT would mess up the defensive versatility then that’s fair, but on a team with arguably the best start/bench pg combo in the East, IT shouldn’t be taking up enough minutes for his poor defense to get exploited as badly as we think it may.

For a vet min. I just don’t see what could go wrong. IT is literally begging for a job in front of millions of people. I’d be surprised if he thinks he can come to a team looking to win a championship and try to take the team over like he did when he was first traded here. I don’t anticipate any chemistry issues as he was trying to get a max deal not too long ago, and more than a year later he’s just trying to just stay in the league.

Also, I don’t think there’s such a thing as “too many offensive options” anymore.

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2018, 10:00:42 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Man, short of a multiple-for-one trade for the likes of Kawhi or Jimmy Butler that includes Rozier there just isn't a spot in the rotation for IT, but I really want him to get another deal just because of the very real likelihood that he ruined his career playing on an injury, getting Boston to the Conference Finals in the process, that the Celtics misdiagnosed. If he came back as a bench scorer I'd be content with it for that reason alone.

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2018, 10:17:19 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
These are the words of a desperate man who fears his NBA career is on the rocks.

Don't do it, at any price.  The apple cart is nicely stacked once Smart signs.

The Celtics would have complete leverage in any deal.  I don't see the problem if he conveys a willingness to accept a limited role off the bench.  The team can just waive him if he causes any friction.

If anything Danny would have extra flexibility in the trade market if IT can prove his health.  If Smart ends up getting a long term extension then we are looking at major luxury tax issues when it comes to re-signing Irving and Rozier.  Terry is probably the odd man out for an extension in this scenario unless Irving really wants to form his own team.

I'm not saying I want Rozier gone but a healthy IT gives Ainge some ability to maneuver in the trade market if a PF/C becomes available.

I know I'm projecting pretty far ahead but the potential upside completely outweighs the minimal risk IMO.
This may sound sarcastic, but it is not meant to be:
Was there ever a time when a "high-risk high-reward" guy actually worked out well for the C's?  Thinking:  Shaq, Ricky Davis, Michael Olowokandi, Sam Cassell, David Lee, Jeff Green...

Shaq, Cassell, and Lee weren't high risk. Shaq and Cassell were vet minimum guys and Lee was traded for Gerald Wallace who never played another game in the NBA. If anything those were low risk/high reward moves.

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2018, 10:38:15 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Hard pass.

With all the shooting, scoring, and playmaking we have on the team, why would we need IT? Too much risk involved for minimal benefit.

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2018, 10:38:38 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
YES!!  Resign IT to a team friendly 1 year deal, then sign Smart to QO. 
Start the season like this... Let Brown, Tatum and Hayward fight for starter minutes...and finish the game with Hayward handling the ball with Brow, Tatum, Al and AD...wow! 

IT/Bird/T Lyes
Brown/Smart
Tatum/ Hayward for 6th man
AD / Semi/ Thesis / Williams
AL / Baynes

Spurs get 1sts (Clippers, Memphis, Minnesota rights to the Heats 2nd and thier second)  and NoLo gets our 1st and our second) 

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yc9nsbkc

TP for the creative idea!

I don't think the Cs need to give up any decent picks, though - Irving, Rozier, and Morris is already a solid package in exchange for Davis.

It looks like NOP (getting Irving AND Butler) and Minnesota are making out more than the Spurs so a 1st from both of them should get it done.

If a deal like this were to go down, bringing back IT would be a no-brainer; not to be our star, but a healthy IT on a value-oriented contract could go a long way to helping our team go far.

AD + IT seems better to me than Kyrie + Rozier (both of whom are expiring)...and I LOVE Rozier.

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2018, 10:44:33 AM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
These are the words of a desperate man who fears his NBA career is on the rocks.

Don't do it, at any price.  The apple cart is nicely stacked once Smart signs.

The Celtics would have complete leverage in any deal.  I don't see the problem if he conveys a willingness to accept a limited role off the bench.  The team can just waive him if he causes any friction.

If anything Danny would have extra flexibility in the trade market if IT can prove his health.  If Smart ends up getting a long term extension then we are looking at major luxury tax issues when it comes to re-signing Irving and Rozier.  Terry is probably the odd man out for an extension in this scenario unless Irving really wants to form his own team.

I'm not saying I want Rozier gone but a healthy IT gives Ainge some ability to maneuver in the trade market if a PF/C becomes available.

I know I'm projecting pretty far ahead but the potential upside completely outweighs the minimal risk IMO.
This may sound sarcastic, but it is not meant to be:
Was there ever a time when a "high-risk high-reward" guy actually worked out well for the C's?  Thinking:  Shaq, Ricky Davis, Michael Olowokandi, Sam Cassell, David Lee, Jeff Green...
Were any of those even considered "high-risk" or "high reward"?  I guess Shaq was decent when healthy. but there was no chance of him turning into Prime Shaq and no one expected it either.

A recent "high-risk high-reward" guy would actually be Kyrie Irving, while another would be mortgaging the future for two stars in the tail-end of their primes in KG and Allen.  While some may still be unconvinced on the former, I'd say that the latter worked out fine for the Celtics.

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2018, 03:37:52 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Hard pass.

With all the shooting, scoring, and playmaking we have on the team, why would we need IT? Too much risk involved for minimal benefit.
true that

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2018, 03:58:58 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Hard pass.

Meh, IT would be better at Roziers role.  Could actually come in a shoot the ball and create off the dribble and add the scroing Morris tries to add. 

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2018, 03:59:04 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Hard pass.

You can never have too much scoring, especially off the bench. Anytime you have the ability to add a 29ppg scorer on the cheap, you do it.

He would run the second unit with limited offensive players like Smart, Baynes, Theis, etc., all of whom can make up for him defensively.

I don’t think it would happen, but Celtics should inquire in the event he was actually serious, which I doubt.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2018, 04:12:33 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Hard pass.

You can never have too much scoring, especially off the bench. Anytime you have the ability to add a 29ppg scorer on the cheap, you do it.

He would run the second unit with limited offensive players like Smart, Baynes, Theis, etc., all of whom can make up for him defensively.

I don’t think it would happen, but Celtics should inquire in the event he was actually serious, which I doubt.
This. We won 53 games with IT surrounded by meh offensive players. Our bench unit would basically be a 50 win team with IT running the show, and he makes guys like Smart that much more useful.

If healthy.

If accepting a bench role.

(so probably not)

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2018, 04:19:27 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Hard pass.

This. We won 53 games with IT surrounded by meh offensive players. Our bench unit would basically be a 50 win team with IT running the show, and he makes guys like Smart that much more useful.

If healthy.

(so probably not)

Yeah, that's the crux of the matter. He's no longer that 29 ppg scorer after his injury, and who knows when he'll be fully healed from that and what type of player he'll be for the rest of his career.

But more importantly, after getting a taste of the star/starter treatment I highly doubt he will accept a bench role again, especially in Boston.

Just not worth the risk. I think Rozier will be just fine in that role this year.

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2018, 04:28:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The only way it makes much sense is if we lose Smart or trade Terry. And that's if he'd be willing to take on a smaller role.  It'd be great to see IT back here but it's just wishful thinking right now.

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2018, 04:28:36 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Hard pass.

If healthy.

(so probably not)

Yeah, that's the crux of the matter. He's no longer that 29 ppg scorer after his injury, and who knows when he'll be fully healed from that and what type of player he'll be for the rest of his career.

But more importantly, after getting a taste of the star/starter treatment I highly doubt he will accept a bench role again, especially in Boston.

Just not worth the risk. I think Rozier will be just fine in that role this year.
if he wouldn’t accept the bench role, why would he even think about joking about 1 ear in Boston? I wouldn’t be so sure he wouldn’t accept a bench role. Didn’t he come off the bench in cavs and La

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2018, 05:04:35 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Walker's second stint with was not that memorable. I am not sure how he would fit now with Terry still here. Obviously, one injury for one of our PG's and we are in definite need and yes, you can never have enough firepower in the playoffs. Healthy IT and we might have made it to the finals this past year.

Yes, heart would love to see IT back. Brain says the fit is probably not there with our current roster.

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2018, 05:09:21 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I think he would be great as a super-sub. Sign him for the minimum for one year? Of course! No-brainer.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.