Author Topic: IT: “tell Boston I’ll come back for a year lol”  (Read 12782 times)

Re: IT: “tell Boston I’ll come back for a year lol”
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 07:58:47 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Man he blocked me a month ago when I said something about the Brinks truck.....  ):   Salty.... Now I feel bad.

Well deserved block. That was a troll move
It was, but IT apparently hasn't learned that his mouth can get him into all sorts of trouble.  He got traded out of Cleveland because he couldn't stop talking.  The Lakers had no desire to bring him back because he can't stop talking.  The Magic didn't even offer him a contract after spending a lot of time talking to him.  Every single team he leaves, it is the team's fault (every single one). 

I want no part of IT.  He will be a cancer in the lockerroom.  He isn't worth the effort or trouble. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 08:04:18 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
If we had had a completely healthy IT in game 7 we would have made it to the finals. Sometimes defense doesn't get it done

A healthy Shane Larkin might have sufficed too.
Yup

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 08:26:34 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I love It but there isn't a spot for him on this team.  No where to play him.  Plus until Kyrie signs an extension you have to manage his ego as well.  Bringing IT back probably would upset Kyrie IMO.  IT probably feels he's just as good and would not sit quiet if he wasn't playing as much as Kyrie.  I will always root for IT but as long as Kyrie is on this team IT can't be.

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 08:26:46 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Man he blocked me a month ago when I said something about the Brinks truck.....  ):   Salty.... Now I feel bad.

Well deserved block. That was a troll move
It was, but IT apparently hasn't learned that his mouth can get him into all sorts of trouble.  He got traded out of Cleveland because he couldn't stop talking.  The Lakers had no desire to bring him back because he can't stop talking.  The Magic didn't even offer him a contract after spending a lot of time talking to him.  Every single team he leaves, it is the team's fault (every single one). 

I want no part of IT.  He will be a cancer in the lockerroom.  He isn't worth the effort or trouble.

Pretty much. This is one experiment I have no interest in. The chemistry of this team is good, there's no need to fix what's not broken.

Luckily, Danny Ainge deals in business and not emotions. So I think we're good.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 08:28:32 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I cant see a situation where IT back in green works this year. However...

If the Cs resign smart this off-season, then next off-season doesn't go well and Irving and Rozier are gone I can 100% see the Celts making up with IT and signing him to a multiple year reasonable contract. At that point he may be willing to play the super sub role like DA originally intended.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 08:28:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If we had had a completely healthy IT in game 7 we would have made it to the finals. Sometimes defense doesn't get it done

Maybe. But he wasn't healthy. Also we know from experience that a healthy IT can lead you to the playoffs. Not so sure about Larkin

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2018, 08:30:50 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
IT put up an epic season in Boston.  Unbelievable year.  MVP caliber.  But I don't think we should bring him back.  Not because I fear he will be a cancer or anything like that, just that I don't think he is going to play at that level ever again.

Now if there are multiple things in play, say trading Morris and Rozier for a power forward or something like that, then maybe there is a place for IT (assuming no Smart).  Right now though, I don't see it.  If they plan to trade Irving (which I hope they don't) that would change the equation also but hard to see a team with IT and Irving under any circumstance.

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2018, 08:46:11 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If IT wasn’t so bad on defense Danny would be on this.

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2018, 09:00:25 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Thanks but no thanks. Not even for the minimum.

When IT was playing for the C's, the whole team was built around him. We had 3 defensive minded players + Horford as a willing facilitator on offense + IT.

IT
Bradley
Crowder
Amir
Horford

As currently constructed, the C's have far too many offensive options: Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Horford, Morris, Rozier. No need for IT and his terrible defense anymore.

Wouldn't even want him to come off the bench. It's only logical to assume that at least 1-2 of our starters will always be on the floor to provide an offensive spark.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:05:49 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2018, 09:19:36 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
It would be insanely stupid not to bring him back on a non guaranteed small deal

No. it really wouldn't.  He would easily disrupt the chemistry on this team. He needs to go somewhere where he can be the alpha, and shoot his way into a big contract.  There's a reason that no contending team is looking to add him.  Chemistry is a thing.

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2018, 09:36:14 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I feel for him.  But it's obvious why he's struggling to find a deal.  Inefficient chucker on offense last year, nonentity on defense.  Health red flags mean that it's questionable that he improves at all, let alone return to his near-MVP level.  Throw a bad attitude on top of that mix and it's easy to see why nobody wants to take a chance on him.

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2018, 09:37:47 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
These are the words of a desperate man who fears his NBA career is on the rocks.

Don't do it, at any price.  The apple cart is nicely stacked once Smart signs.

The Celtics would have complete leverage in any deal.  I don't see the problem if he conveys a willingness to accept a limited role off the bench.  The team can just waive him if he causes any friction.

If anything Danny would have extra flexibility in the trade market if IT can prove his health.  If Smart ends up getting a long term extension then we are looking at major luxury tax issues when it comes to re-signing Irving and Rozier.  Terry is probably the odd man out for an extension in this scenario unless Irving really wants to form his own team.

I'm not saying I want Rozier gone but a healthy IT gives Ainge some ability to maneuver in the trade market if a PF/C becomes available.

I know I'm projecting pretty far ahead but the potential upside completely outweighs the minimal risk IMO.
This may sound sarcastic, but it is not meant to be:
Was there ever a time when a "high-risk high-reward" guy actually worked out well for the C's?  Thinking:  Shaq, Ricky Davis, Michael Olowokandi, Sam Cassell, David Lee, Jeff Green...

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2018, 09:47:58 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
That ship has sailed on IT in Boston. There just isn't anywhere for him to play. Rozier and Wanamaker and possibly Smart is enough.

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2018, 09:53:37 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would sign IT to the last roster spot, and let him rehab until he looks back to his old self. IT would need to be willing to take a back seat role, but with the lack of interest around the league in him, he probably would need to do that anyway.

If Boston loses out on Smart Isaiah on a bargain deal isn't a terrible idea.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2018, 09:54:22 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Maybe. But he wasn't healthy. Also we know from experience that a healthy IT can lead you to the playoffs. Not so sure about Larkin

But IT wasn't healthy either. And when he was on the court last season, he shot 37% from the field and 29% from 3. Those are Marcus Smart #'s. Except IT was a huge negative on defense in Cleveland and LA.

Again if we take sentimentality out of this, he just doesn't fit on this team now.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman