Author Topic: Most Annoying - Talking heads during Summer League games  (Read 1659 times)

Most Annoying - Talking heads during Summer League games
« on: July 10, 2018, 06:25:34 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
What's with taking up 1/3 the television screen with these game time conversations with players and coaches.....totally annoying. Who cares, we can hear the words we don't need to see their faces. Just show the game!!!

Re: Most Annoying - Talking heads during Summer League games
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 07:52:32 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
For what it's worth, I totally agree. I know it's only summer league but it was making me crazy. I couldn't see the game and don't know the players well enough to know who was doing what.
Don't need to see them to hear them.
Also couldn't understand when they would take up 2/3 to show stats and only show game on small corner.
Oh well, guess that's summer league

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 07:59:59 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
On a good note they did interview Brad Stevens, and  I am always interested in hearing his insight. 

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 09:53:40 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
What annoys me is some of these ex-players who slobber over the current guys.  Everyone's awesome/terrific/a great signing etc.  Try providing some actual insight that proves you did a little homework prior to the broadcast.....

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 11:33:54 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
What's with taking up 1/3 the television screen with these game time conversations with players and coaches.....totally annoying. Who cares, we can hear the words we don't need to see their faces. Just show the game!!!

I posted this in the game thread!  It has turned me off of watching any more summer league games...1/2 because I miss a lot of action and 1/2 because the decision to show the interview during the game and not just let fans hear it is so incredibly dumb that my blood pressure goes through the roof.  I mean big league dumb.  Possibly the all time dumbest sports coverage decisions I have ever seen.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 11:35:41 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Bring back the Nacho Cheese people.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 11:42:29 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
What annoys me is some of these ex-players who slobber over the current guys.  Everyone's awesome/terrific/a great signing etc.  Try providing some actual insight that proves you did a little homework prior to the broadcast.....

TP  They'd be better off hiring announcers and interviewing people who are not afraid to speak the truth and be willing to say something negative or insightful...perhaps, a Euro-scout, an independent  scout, or someone from a an Internet-based news source.

You are right, most often their banter is meaningless and not insightful. Thus, they annoy me both visually and verbally.

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 12:07:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Why would commentators trash a bunch of young journeyman trying to make the league or showcase themselves for overseas play?

These are real people trying to make their professional career happen.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 02:17:47 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton

I posted this in the game thread!  It has turned me off of watching any more summer league games...1/2 because I miss a lot of action and 1/2 because the decision to show the interview during the game and not just let fans hear it is so incredibly dumb that my blood pressure goes through the roof.  I mean big league dumb.  Possibly the all time dumbest sports coverage decisions I have ever seen.

"Possibly the all time dumbest sports coverage decisions I have ever seen."

Not sure if it's the dumbest, but it's up there....

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 02:18:43 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41

TP  They'd be better off hiring announcers and interviewing people who are not afraid to speak the truth and be willing to say something negative or insightful...perhaps, a Euro-scout, an independent  scout, or someone from a an Internet-based news source.

One nice way found to compact this is ....I turn the sound off and watch the basketball game and have the Red Sox sound up and just listen to that.  That is if you are a Sox fan too.   If not you could replace the Sox with waterpolo or something else you enjoy. 
You are right, most often their banter is meaningless and not insightful. Thus, they annoy me both visually and verbally.

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 02:35:39 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

TP. Is there somewhere we could go to complain about this?

I keep the mute button on the entire time.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 03:01:19 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
The announcer at the Thomas and Mack Center!  Couldn't pronounce most of the names on the 6th.  Fans actually cheered when he finally go Semi's last name correct, that was about the third period.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 03:08:39 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton

TP. Is there somewhere we could go to complain about this?

I keep the mute button on the entire time.

Doubt there is much one can do about this.

My feeling is that there is some sort of an advertising agreement between parties like; MGM Resorts, the TV Network, the NBA and/or the Boston Celtics.

MGM gets to have their name on the screen throughout the interviewing process and pay a premium for it. This may make up for the loss of revenue from having fewer and shorter commercials during Summer League games.

May also be a gambit to find out if basketball fans are so stupid they might tolerate it during the regular season. 

Hank ...thanks for the alternate sound tip (like the Red Sox). I had been shutting off the volume completely. 

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 03:45:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
All of the talking heads are annoying.   This 1/3 of the screen was really annoying.   Could not we have listened while the game played.   One of the reasons ESPN is faltering is they think that their anchors and broadcasters are bigger than the sports.   The other reason is that they got political but I think that their cult of personality that they push on people sours it for some.