Author Topic: Who would you rather have - Smart or ??  (Read 4392 times)

Re: Who would you rather have - Smart or ??
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 10:49:56 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Wanamaker, Semi and Rozier probably divide his minutes.  Also probably a greater likelihood that Morris sticks around.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:31:51 PM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 12:28:12 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Smart.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 12:52:57 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Depends on the team needs. If the team have abundance of what Smart provides, I'll take someone like Tyreke Evans or Lou Williams.

The problem is you can't easily find a replacement on what Smart brings to the table.

Bricking shots after shots?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 12:53:10 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Prefer Smart.

Nearly all of the listed names were lucky enough to enter free agency at a better time for $$

As FAs, they would receive substantially less this summer. (Grant is the exception)

If I'm Smart and I see Grant get a 3 year 27 million dollar contract + owner willing to pay big tax

I wouldn't be happy with Danny nor Wyc either

One way or the other, Smart is a goner after next season.  Can't see him wanting to return

I don't think this is a fair comparison, as the open markets for RFA and UFA are totally different. Unless a RFA is a bonified max player, then the team with the players rights typically won't be the first team to make an offer. The team will let the rest of the league set the market, and then match or let him go. I don't blame the Celtics for this, but rather the free agency system in place.

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 12:55:52 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I would rather have Smart, who easily brings more to the table than anyone on that list.

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 01:20:24 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Depends on the team needs. If the team have abundance of what Smart provides, I'll take someone like Tyreke Evans or Lou Williams.

The problem is you can't easily find a replacement on what Smart brings to the table.

Oh goodie. I've been hoping we would have a thread where we could discuss Marcus Smart's shooting.

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 01:36:58 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
These are all middle class veteran players who play well enough to expect significant contracts. As a general principle, it is a bad idea to pay any of them. If you can get a Shaun Livingston or a Marcus Morris on a cheap deal, that's fine, but anyone wanting to get paid needs to go.

The fact that Smart might be more appealing than most if not all of them only makes signing him a worse idea, unless it is to create a contract to make a trade with. Marcus probably won't be here after next year.

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 02:02:47 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think rookie scale or max players only is the only way to have a good salary structure. The C's are basically at that point right now largely because they had such good value contracts on veterans of the type you describe and the players turned out to be worth the deals.

Crowder/Bradley/Thomas/etc

Smart is a decent bet to continue to be good given his age and talent. I get moving on from him, but paying him isn't something I'm scared of either.

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 02:57:26 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

TP

Or taking the World Cup Soccer Dive?  I'm ready to move on from him, but I don't want anyone on that list.  Hoping Danny can pull off a S&T somehow, maybe for a pick and a waiveable player.

I'd even think about taking IT back, just his D is horrible.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 03:21:25 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Bring back Dionte Christmas!
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 03:31:34 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Smart over all those guys.  Not close.

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 11:32:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:22:36 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 01:58:38 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Oh goodie. I've been hoping we would have a thread where we could discuss Marcus Smart's shooting.

Allow me to set the mood ;D -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBx6mAWYPU

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 02:20:43 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Rawle Alkins.

Rofl.

Okay. How about Xavier Rathan-Mayes, then?

Lol, didn't mean to be rude Beat LA, but just letting you know your love for Alkins is becoming triboy-like when he was infatuated with Mickey.

That being said, I like both players, although Alkins has a better skill set for today's NBA. Surprising that he is actually considering signing overseas... I don't know what that means for his career, but definitely daunting when taking into account he was a highly touted prospect not too long ago.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2018, 01:53:40 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Rawle Alkins.

Rofl.

Okay. How about Xavier Rathan-Mayes, then?

Lol, didn't mean to be rude Beat LA, but just letting you know your love for Alkins is becoming triboy-like when he was infatuated with Mickey.

That being said, I like both players, although Alkins has a better skill set for today's NBA. Surprising that he is actually considering signing overseas... I don't know what that means for his career, but definitely daunting when taking into account he was a highly touted prospect not too long ago.

Nah. Were that the case, I'd be comparing Alkins to an All Star, remember? ;) ;D

Where did you see that part about him potentially signing overseas, though, because I did read that he had fired his agent and hadn't actually signed the deal with the Raptors as of last week, but I've heard/seen nothing about the former, so, sauce? ;D