Author Topic: Carmelo Anthony To Receive Interest From Lakers, Rockets, Heat  (Read 3054 times)

Re: Carmelo Anthony To Receive Interest From Lakers, Rockets, Heat
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 04:02:10 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Didn't he have hive best season in New York playing the 4 in D'Antoni's system?

I don't think he could co exist with Lebron.

Philly could be interesting.

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 08:10:12 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Rockets determined to be melo
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1016445597266558977I think

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 03:27:36 PM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Just tweeted by Woj re: Melo.
"Thunder are working on trade scenarios where Anthony, 34, would be moved as an expiring contract and be waived, becoming a free agent once his $28M clears waivers. OKC needs the Anthony’s permission to waive no-trade clause, which he has done to facilitate his exit, sources said."
And.
"Story filed to ESPN: In advance of an inevitable – if not imminent – parting, the Oklahoma City Thunder granted Carmelo Anthony permission to meet with prospective teams, including Houston and Miami. Meetings took place in Vegas in recent days."
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 03:34:07 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I don’t understand what they are trying to do. So is OKC going to trade him to Team X, who will waive him and he will sign with Team Y?

Wouldn’t OKC have to take back matching salary? I know OKC and Melo are mutually done with each other, but Team X would only do this if they were getting rid of a longer/worse contract, no? Shouldn’t OKC just waive and stretch him?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 03:51:36 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I don’t understand what they are trying to do. So is OKC going to trade him to Team X, who will waive him and he will sign with Team Y?

Wouldn’t OKC have to take back matching salary? I know OKC and Melo are mutually done with each other, but Team X would only do this if they were getting rid of a longer/worse contract, no? Shouldn’t OKC just waive and stretch him?

If there's a team with enough cap space, they could just absorb Melo's salary (I don't think any teams can at this point, though, unless OKC takes some salary back). OKC could afford to take some salary back, though, since just waiving Melo would mean $28 million in dead money on their cap, and stretching him would still be over $9 million.

Trading Melo for a guy that makes ~$10 million would potentially allow them to cut that dead money down to $3.3 million (if deal was one year) or $4 million (if it was two), saving a ton of cap

I don't think any team would do the deal without a first coming their way and/or a bad contract going elsewhere, though
I'm bitter.

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 03:55:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
No one expects a trade for Melo to work out, though OKC is doing its due diligence.

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 04:26:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
A nice statue would work just as well .

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 04:34:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

If there's a team with enough cap space, they could just absorb Melo's salary (I don't think any teams can at this point, though, unless OKC takes some salary back). OKC could afford to take some salary back, though, since just waiving Melo would mean $28 million in dead money on their cap, and stretching him would still be over $9 million.

Trading Melo for a guy that makes ~$10 million would potentially allow them to cut that dead money down to $3.3 million (if deal was one year) or $4 million (if it was two), saving a ton of cap

I don't think any team would do the deal without a first coming their way and/or a bad contract going elsewhere, though
Cavs have quite a few contracts that would make sense, though they don't have any salary space, so they would have to send out a fair amount. 

For example, Smith and Korver for Anthony works.  The Thunder can then work on a buy out/stretch with Smith and just keep Korver for depth as they could use his shooting.  Then to make up most of that Korver money, they can do a separate trade where the Thunder trade Singler to the Cavs who fits into the Irving trade exception and for the Cavs trouble give them a 2nd rounder and get back from Cleveland a highly protected unlikely to transfer 2nd rounder.  So essentially the trade would be Anthony, Singler, 2nd for Smith and Korver.  Smith and Anthony end up being bought out.  Cavs shave money from next summer and get a 2nd round pick, while the Thunder shed Anthony and get a useful bench player in Korver.

I'm sure there are other scenarios with other teams that might fit the same sort of thing.  That said, I think the most likely scenario is Anthony just getting bought out.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 05:07:09 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Cavs have quite a few contracts that would make sense, though they don't have any salary space, so they would have to send out a fair amount. 

For example, Smith and Korver for Anthony works.  The Thunder can then work on a buy out/stretch with Smith and just keep Korver for depth as they could use his shooting.  Then to make up most of that Korver money, they can do a separate trade where the Thunder trade Singler to the Cavs who fits into the Irving trade exception and for the Cavs trouble give them a 2nd rounder and get back from Cleveland a highly protected unlikely to transfer 2nd rounder.  So essentially the trade would be Anthony, Singler, 2nd for Smith and Korver.  Smith and Anthony end up being bought out.  Cavs shave money from next summer and get a 2nd round pick, while the Thunder shed Anthony and get a useful bench player in Korver.

I'm sure there are other scenarios with other teams that might fit the same sort of thing.  That said, I think the most likely scenario is Anthony just getting bought out.

Is it out of the question that the Cavs trade their overpaid role players for Anthony, and then try to go to the east finals with Love/Melo/theyoungguystheytradedformidseasoastyear?  Would seem to be good for the gate, and allow them to compete while reconfiguring the roster.

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 06:15:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Can they do this so our 5 dollar bet gets a hint of life? Than they add a bunch of stars at the deadline and win the championship while Lebron films space jam?

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 09:10:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Is it out of the question that the Cavs trade their overpaid role players for Anthony, and then try to go to the east finals with Love/Melo/theyoungguystheytradedformidseasoastyear?  Would seem to be good for the gate, and allow them to compete while reconfiguring the roster.
Anthony has a no trade clause.  He won't accept a trade to Cleveland unless he is going to get bought out.

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 06:27:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Brooklyn and OKC discussing Lin for Anthony swap. Brooklyn wants draft compensation which appears to be the hang up. Thunder would keep Lin in this trade apparently.