Author Topic: Trade idea: Morris + Nader for Korver  (Read 6411 times)

Re: Trade idea: Morris + Nader for Korver
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 10:57:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't understand this at all.  We need what Morris can give us more than we need what Korver can give us.  Morris can defend and can match up as a big in many situations.  Korver can shoot no doubt but nothing else.  I would not consider this trade at all.

Morris is unhappy with the minutes log jam.  He’s definitely gone this off-season.

Korver brings a unique, game-changing skill. He’s led the NBA in 3PT% three of the last five seasons, and was 6th last year.

My view does not seem to be the consensus.  Apparently, I like Morris a lot more and Korver a lot less than most.

Morris is a tough defensive player who can score.  He can defend either 3 or 4.  In my view, we need that.  Morris will get plenty of minutes playing as a big.  Who else do we have after Horford (he will play about 32 min)?  Baynes is good for only 18 minutes or so.  That gets to 50 min and we need 96.  Theis?  No, we need Morris or another big.  I don't see the need for Korver at all.

I agree that Korver has a skill and works hard but just not for the Celtics.   And I don't mind moving Morris in the right deal, just not this deal.

Tatum will likely start at PF.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 10:57:33 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't understand this at all.  We need what Morris can give us more than we need what Korver can give us.  Morris can defend and can match up as a big in many situations.  Korver can shoot no doubt but nothing else.  I would not consider this trade at all.

Morris is unhappy with the minutes log jam.  He’s definitely gone this off-season.

Korver brings a unique, game-changing skill. He’s led the NBA in 3PT% three of the last five seasons, and was 6th last year.

My view does not seem to be the consensus.  Apparently, I like Morris a lot more and Korver a lot less than most.

Morris is a tough defensive player who can score.  He can defend either 3 or 4.  In my view, we need that.  Morris will get plenty of minutes playing as a big.  Who else do we have after Horford (he will play about 32 min)?  Baynes is good for only 18 minutes or so.  That gets to 50 min and we need 96.  Theis?  No, we need Morris or another big.  I don't see the need for Korver at all.

I agree that Korver has a skill and works hard but just not for the Celtics.   And I don't mind moving Morris in the right deal, just not this deal.
Tatum is going to log heavy minutes at the 4 once Hayward is healthy as that is the only way you can get both him and Hayward enough minutes.

That said I'd much rather have Morris than Korver.  The versatility on offense and the better defense is just more important.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 11:12:33 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
It's tempting, but I think I ultimately would rather have a projected high 2nd rounder in 2020 for Morris if we could get that, as it could be two drafts in one. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 11:20:41 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Korver is too old. I’m not interested.

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 11:22:18 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I’d love to have a bench shooter like Korver but more for a vet min deal not at the expense of Morris. As frustrating as Morris can be sometimes we need his skill set, especially on defense.

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 11:34:39 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Good proposal.

Sign me up.

But only if we keep Marcus Smart. If not, we need to hang onto Morris for his toughness.

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 11:37:36 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
And he is a terrible defender, absolutely no!!!

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
If you are Cleveland, would you add in a 2nd round pick to do this? Considering they are making luxury tax savings

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 12:00:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
And he is a terrible defender, absolutely no!!!
Not against JB ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 12:00:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If you are Cleveland, would you add in a 2nd round pick to do this? Considering they are making luxury tax savings

Cavs aren’t in the luxury tax any more since LeBron left, unless they resign Rodney Hood to the type of contract Marcus Smart thinks he should get.

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2018, 12:01:34 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Cavs aren’t in the luxury tax any more since LeBron left, unless they resign Rodney Hood to the type of contract Marcus Smart thinks he should get.
supposedly the Kings are interested in Hood.  So the Cavs might be forced to match that type of contract or watch him walk. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2018, 12:03:03 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
I don't hate the idea. Hopefully Korver has another few years left in him.
I thought he did a very good job defending Brown in last years series. Perhaps his defense is somewhat underrated. Never hurts to have a great 3 point shooter on the team.
And, it rids the Celtics of Morris. Have to admit, i love his attitude and his D, but his ball stopping offense makes me crazy. Far too much iso ball for my liking. If he would just keep the ball moving I would be happy to keep him, but it doesn't look like that is likely to happen.

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2018, 12:28:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Did Korver play in the finals?

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2018, 12:45:46 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Tatum is going to log heavy minutes at the 4 once Hayward is healthy as that is the only way you can get both him and Hayward enough minutes.

That said I'd much rather have Morris than Korver.  The versatility on offense and the better defense is just more important.

Yeah, I know, a lot of people seem to like that idea but I don't.  I think there are plenty of minutes for Hayward, Brown, and Tatum at the 2 & 3 to be covered.  I don't mind seeing Tatum getting some minutes at 4 but I don't think Tatum should be played primarily at the 4.  We do seem to agree that Morris will play an important role though.

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2018, 01:11:06 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Four unknowns for me:

How soon Hayward can play without any concerns, as well as his ability to log minutes at the 4.
Theis' health
Robert Williams ability to get minutes sooner rather than later
Ojeleye's abiity to soak up minutes at the 4 without too much drop off from Morris net production

Those unknowns would lead me to not do this deal...

If we trade Morris I'd rather it be in some deal that brings back a big or a similar sized player
as part of the package.