Author Topic: Trade idea: Morris + Nader for Korver  (Read 6352 times)

Trade idea: Morris + Nader for Korver
« on: July 09, 2018, 09:19:04 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I hear the Cavs are looking to move Korver. He has a contract for $7.5 million this season. In 2019-2020, he also has a $7.5 million deal with $3.4 million guaranteed. – via Cleveland Plain Dealer

What do you think? Add a #2 and/or cash, which can be sent to Cleveland or to a third team (Atlanta, Sacramento, Chicago) to take Morris’ salary.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Trade idea: Morris + Nader for Korver
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 09:29:08 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't understand this at all.  We need what Morris can give us more than we need what Korver can give us.  Morris can defend and can match up as a big in many situations.  Korver can shoot no doubt but nothing else.  I would not consider this trade at all.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 09:32:02 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I don't understand this at all.  We need what Morris can give us more than we need what Korver can give us.  Morris can defend and can match up as a big in many situations.  Korver can shoot no doubt but nothing else.  I would not consider this trade at all.

I would. We have a lot of players who can create a double team situation. Guys like Korver add so much threat to your offense.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:48:38 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think Korver showed real effort on defence in the series against us. I think Brad can put him in situations to succeed. Offensively he obviously adds a dimension we don't currently have, running off screens like a gazelle the whole game.

I think it depends on what happens with Smart. If he does end up elsewhere, although unlikely, then I could see it happening. If he stays then I don't see a spot for Korver in the rotation.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 09:48:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Maybe at the trade deadline after we've seen Hayward play and be healthy and Morris is out of the rotation. I wouldn't make any sort of Morris trade until then.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 09:50:36 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I would. We have a lot of players who can create a double team situation. Guys like Korver add so much threat to your offense.

Korver was one of Cleveland’s better players in the playoff series with the Cs. Not just the shooting, but also surprisingly effective defense and hustle. He was mentally strong - always a plus in the playoffs. Especially given that we will not see Cleveland in the EC this year and (fingers crossed) have Hayward back, it’s an intriguing move. My only questions are: how will his body would hold up with another year (or two!) of wear, and do we need to move Morris’ contract to create more room under the tax line.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 09:52:05 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Morris is unhappy with the minutes log jam.  He’s definitely gone this off-season.

Korver brings a unique, game-changing skill. He’s led the NBA in 3PT% three of the last five seasons, and was 6th last year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 09:56:14 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Trading Morris for Korver would make the C's a luxury tax team. Not sure whether Wyc and Danny want to go down that road.

If Smart signs a long-term contract with the C's, I believe Morris will get traded in a salary dump with a view to avoid the tax.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 10:01:25 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Trading Morris for Korver would make the C's a luxury tax team. Not sure whether Wyc and Danny want to go down that road.

If Smart signs a long-term contract with the C's, I believe Morris will get traded in a salary dump with a view to avoid the tax.

Not if Smart signs the QO.

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=17881317175b436a37c0609943635058

15 man roster (including Bird) for under the tax line.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 10:06:55 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Morris is unhappy with the minutes log jam.  He’s definitely gone this off-season.

Korver brings a unique, game-changing skill. He’s led the NBA in 3PT% three of the last five seasons, and was 6th last year.

Those are pretty strong words about Morris.  I don’t think he said he was unhappy, just that he’s not sure what his role will be and he’s wary about it.  With that said he’s a luxury on this team with Hayward coming back so I would not be surprised if he’s gone, but I wouldn’t say it’s a forgone conclusion.

This isn’t a bad idea though for a trade, but there is risk involved as Korver is 37, and Morris is in his prime.  I think we would also be taking on an extra million in this trade which could make for tighter squeeze with the luxury tax.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 10:10:22 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Those are pretty strong words about Morris.  I don’t think he said he was unhappy, just that he’s not sure what his role will be and he’s wary about it.  With that said he’s a luxury on this team with Hayward coming back so I would not be surprised if he’s gone, but I wouldn’t say it’s a forgone conclusion.

This isn’t a bad idea though for a trade, but there is risk involved as Korver is 37, and Morris is in his prime.  I think we would also be taking on an extra million in this trade which could make for tighter squeeze with the luxury tax.

I think it’s a foregone conclusion that he won’t be back next season, i.e., when his contract is up. So, it’s one season of Morris or two of Korver. I think Korver helps more.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 10:33:15 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I think it’s a foregone conclusion that he won’t be back next season, i.e., when his contract is up. So, it’s one season of Morris or two of Korver. I think Korver helps more.

He very well could.  I just worry about his age, and the wheels coming off at any point.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 10:35:41 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I am all for Morris being moved to someone. He takes really bad shots and I could see him being a problem once he gets his PT cut this year.

Korver would at least give them some shooting off the bench.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 10:45:17 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The more I think of it the less I want Korver. I just don't like the odds that he's not a Jose Calderon type by the end of this year, let alone next year.

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 10:52:29 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

My view does not seem to be the consensus.  Apparently, I like Morris a lot more and Korver a lot less than most.

Morris is a tough defensive player who can score.  He can defend either 3 or 4.  In my view, we need that.  Morris will get plenty of minutes playing as a big.  Who else do we have after Horford (he will play about 32 min)?  Baynes is good for only 18 minutes or so.  That gets to 50 min and we need 96.  Theis?  No, we need Morris or another big.  I don't see the need for Korver at all.

I agree that Korver has a skill and works hard but just not for the Celtics.   And I don't mind moving Morris in the right deal, just not this deal.