Author Topic: For Boston Williams & Robinson's futures will be entwined  (Read 4569 times)

For Boston Williams & Robinson's futures will be entwined
« on: July 09, 2018, 03:50:00 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Robert Williams fell into Ainge and the Celtics laps at pick 27, but someone else plummeted in the draft, Mitchell Robinson. While in High School, Robinson was at one point ranked 11th in the ESPN 100 list and the number 3 centre. Robinson signed with University of Western Kentucky partly due to his godfather (Shammond Williams) being an assistant coach but after Williams resigned from his position Robinson also left. Without any college experience Robinson stock fell to the second round and Celtics obviously passed on him but given his mobility, size and shot blocking ability...did Ainge miss the real steal of the draft?

Mitchell Robinson Highlights 2018.07.08 Knicks vs Jazz - 12 Pts, 11 Rebs, 2 Blks: https://youtu.be/vBTgc-cCDV0
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 06:20:21 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

Re: For the C's Williams & Robinson futures will be forever entwined
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 03:59:43 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
wow u are right ........nice find. What are his measurements?

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 04:05:21 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Similar thing happened in 2012 when the Celtics passed on Arnett Moultrie for Jared Sullinger. Their histories were forever entwined and changed the course of Celtics basketball. I remember constantly wondering what would have been had we drafted Moultrie. How many titles would we have by now? No one can say for sure.

Re: For Boston Williams' & Robinson's futures will be entwined
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 04:07:16 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
wow u are right ........nice find. What are his measurements?

7'1 with a 7'4 wingspan and 9'3 standing reach but these measurements were taken at the USA Basketball u19 mini-camp in the summer of 2017, so he could easily be bigger today.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:37:44 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 06:48:52 AM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
Similar thing happened in 2012 when the Celtics passed on Arnett Moultrie for Jared Sullinger. Their histories were forever entwined and changed the course of Celtics basketball. I remember constantly wondering what would have been had we drafted Moultrie. How many titles would we have by now? No one can say for sure.

I laughed. TP.

Re: For Boston Williams & Robinson's futures will be entwined
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 07:09:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Williams had red flags, Robinson had black ones. He flakes out on College, then withdrew from the combine at the last minute. Teams had no track at all.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 08:05:04 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
the epitome of NBA summer is debating the historical ramifications of passing up on the 36th overall pick with the 27th pick.

next up: why didn't we sign Mario Hezonja to be our 14th man?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 10:35:03 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
the epitome of NBA summer is debating the historical ramifications of passing up on the 36th overall pick with the 27th pick.

next up: why didn't we sign Mario Hezonja to be our 14th man?

Cuz Danny Ainge is stoopid

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 11:34:57 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Celtics Nation is a hoot.

They write-off the 27th pick in the draft after a week while the 16th pick from a year ago, Yabust, is a fun cartoon character to the fans and should stay on the team for his entire career despite not contributing at all.

Quite a place..

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 12:13:56 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

They write-off the 27th pick in the draft after a week while the 16th pick from a year ago, Yabust, is a fun cartoon character to the fans and should stay on the team for his entire career despite not contributing at all.

Quite a place..

Nobody is writing him off... In most cases its a response to super optimistic posts that vary from exepcting him to get regular minutes to being a potential legend because he has big hands

And you are right about yabu btw

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 01:19:01 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Quite a place..

Not contributing at all????

I suppose memes about absurdly large butts are just "nothing" to you.  I say good day, sir!

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 01:21:16 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Quite a place..

Nobody is writing him off... In most cases its a response to super optimistic posts that vary from exepcting him to get regular minutes to being a potential legend because he has big hands

Hmm... I wonder just what some were expecting to get out of Yabusele in his rookie season?

Here are the rookie seasons for the last 10 #16 picks:

Draft
Year   Player                Minutes  Win Shares    WS/48
2017  Justin Patton              4      0.0         ---
2016  Guershon Yabusele(2017)  235      0.6         .122
2015  Terry Rozier             311     -0.3        -.047
2014  Jusuf Nurkic            1103      1.6         .069
2013  Lucas Nogueira (2014)     23      0.0         ---
2012  Royce White (2013)         9      0.0         --- (no longer in NBA)
2011  Nikola Vucevic           812      1.8         .109
2010  Luke Babbit              137     -0.4        -.143
2009  James Johnson            757      0.8         .054
2008  Marreese Speights       1256      3.8         .146

Yabusele is pretty much right in the middle of all that.  Sure, it would have been nice if he produced like Nurkic or Speights but hey, different team.  Different opportunities.

Speights skews things significantly.  His rookie season was by far his best season until his 7th season, his second after ending up on GSW.    Most of his seasons have been pretty 'meh'.

Outside of Speights, the other 9 played an average of just 378 minutes and produced an average of just 0.46 Win Shares.   Even with Speights, the average is just 0.79 Win Shares.

I'm sure there were folks predicting a Hall Of Fame career for Speights after his rookie season and certainly there were plenty of Nostradamii on CelticsBlog asserting what a bust Terry Rozier was after his rookie season.    Probably the same guys who were equating Avery Bradley to a steaming pile of hot garbage after his rookie season.

Me?  I think I'll trust Danny and Brad's assessments and patience.   I'll give up on Yabusele when they do.   And that doesn't mean I'm expecting him to be a potential legend.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 01:26:36 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Quite a place..

Hmm... I wonder just what some were expecting to get out of Yabusele in his rookie season?

Here are the rookie seasons for the last 10 #16 picks:

Draft
Year   Player                Minutes  Win Shares    WS/48
2017  Justin Patton              4      0.0         ---
2016  Guershon Yabusele(2017)  235      0.6         .122
2015  Terry Rozier             311     -0.3        -.047
2014  Jusuf Nurkic            1103      1.6         .069
2013  Lucas Nogueira (2014)     23      0.0         ---
2012  Royce White (2013)         9      0.0         --- (no longer in NBA)
2011  Nikola Vucevic           812      1.8         .109
2010  Luke Babbit              137     -0.4        -.143
2009  James Johnson            757      0.8         .054
2008  Marreese Speights       1256      3.8         .146

Yabusele is pretty much right in the middle of all that.  Sure, it would have been nice if he produced like Nurkic or Speights but hey, different team.  Different opportunities.

Speights skews things significantly.  His rookie season was by far his best season until his 7th season, his second after ending up on GSW.    Most of his seasons have been pretty 'meh'.

Outside of Speights, the other 9 played an average of just 378 minutes and produced an average of just 0.46 Win Shares.   Even with Speights, the average is just 0.79 Win Shares.

I'm sure there were folks predicting a Hall Of Fame career for Speights after his rookie season and certainly there were plenty of Nostradamii on CelticsBlog asserting what a bust Terry Rozier was after his rookie season.    Probably the same guys who were equating Avery Bradley to a steaming pile of hot garbage after his rookie season.

Me?  I think I'll trust Danny and Brad's assessments and patience.   I'll give up on Yabusele when they do.   And that doesn't mean I'm expecting him to be a potential legend.

Yabu is probably alright. I was just exaggerating a but due to the discrepancy in treatment between Yabs and RW3. Just a little annoying. But again, I'm not the type to go gaga over a guy  dabbing after a 3..

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 02:09:41 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Quite a place..

Not contributing at all????

I suppose memes about absurdly large butts are just "nothing" to you.  I say good day, sir!

He should be incredible at boxing out with that booty.

Here are a couple articles about him trying to lose weight.

http://www.celticslife.com/2018/07/a-make-or-break-season-for-guerschon.html
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2018/07/bulpett_guerschon_yabusele_addresses_weight_issues_this_offseason
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 02:14:50 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 02:57:24 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I think Knicks hit a grand slam with Knox ans Robinson
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin