Author Topic: Should fultz play summer league?  (Read 4264 times)

Re: Should fultz play summer league?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 12:29:07 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Reasons for: Had extremely limited minutes in game as a rookie
Reportly had the yips as a rookie, could get confidence against summer league comp
Conditioning. Has always run a bit thicker in build, unclear if concerns about chick filet diet are real or a joke

Reasons against: ego, top pick could think he is above it
Risk of further injury additional injury
Risk trade value if performs poorly

What say you celtics nation? I am genuinely curious, but also pretty surprised he is not playing.
For someone who bashes me for replying to posts about the Sixers, it is amazing how much you post about the Sixers. 

Summer league means nothing.  Did Embiid not playing in summer league hurt his development?  Fultz should not play until he's physically and mentally ready to do so.  The Yips is serious.  He's only been working with Drew Hanlin for around a month.  That needs to be his focus.  He's not going to get his confidence back by playing summer league.
I was curious if others held your viewpoint. It's an unusual situation. Grow up

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 12:59:48 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Reportly had the yips as a rookie, could get confidence against summer league comp
Conditioning. Has always run a bit thicker in build, unclear if concerns about chick filet diet are real or a joke

What say you celtics nation? I am genuinely curious, but also pretty surprised he is not playing.
For someone who bashes me for replying to posts about the Sixers, it is amazing how much you post about the Sixers. 

Summer league means nothing.  Did Embiid not playing in summer league hurt his development?  Fultz should not play until he's physically and mentally ready to do so.  The Yips is serious.  He's only been working with Drew Hanlin for around a month.  That needs to be his focus.  He's not going to get his confidence back by playing summer league.

The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 01:02:26 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
More reps is good. Unless the 76ers need to see other guards badly I'd play him

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 01:08:06 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
More reps is good. Unless the 76ers need to see other guards badly I'd play him

This is my take too

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 01:46:35 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
He's not ready to play summer league ball. That's a negative.

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 01:56:34 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Tp tars

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 03:43:03 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I personally wish Summer League wasn't seen as just a thing for rookies and scrubs.  There's  just such a negative stigma to it if you're not a rookie.

I think it could be a great place for guys coming off injuries (like Hayward, Irving) to work off some of their rust against "real competition"  (assuming they're fully cleared of course, which I don't think either are).

Or for a guys to work on new things, Smart and Baynes on their 3 point shot, Brown and Tatum on their ball handling and distributing, etc. Or for when guys switch positions (Harden going from SG to PG). 

Also just a great way to stay in shape.  It's not like these guys aren't playing basketball at all during the summer, might as well do it in a structured environment with better competition then their local pro-ams.

Now I'm not saying all guys should be participating, or that they should play in every game.  But it would be cool if legit vets dropped by and were sprinkled in throughout summer league.  Hayward plays 4 games for Boston to help get into shape, Brown drops in for 2 games to play PG to work on his handle/distributing.  Embiid plays a couple of games for Philly just for the exercise.  Tyreke Evans and Wilson Chandler play a few games to get familiar with their new coaching staffs.  Manu Ginobili plays every game because he thinks it's a great way to keep his body in shape, etc.

Also that way it wouldn't be such an ego bruise for guys like Fultz who could use it.

It used to happen that way! Artest did it in 2006, but it was a lot more common in the '80s.

Artest logged 25 minutes in his debut and finished with a quiet 12 points on 5-for-12 shooting. Yet he insists that these games are a useful means to get an early start on preseason conditioning and learning Musselman's system. Musselman doesn't coach the Kings' summer team but takes an active role in its practices, which already has Artest convinced that he'll have to be in better-than-ever shape because of "the way he runs and presses."

"There's some good players here," Artest said. "I play pickup ball every day and the talent is not as good as this talent. So what better place to play pick-up ball than Vegas?

"It's not like a walk in the park for me. These guys can play. This is game situations. [So] it gives me a chance to work on my defense. I'm pretty sure, because of the [defensive] reputation I have, [that] guys want to come at me."

Truth is, Artest should be applauded for making the trek to the Vegas Summer League. It's the truth even though he didn't fly into town until Thursday night, forcing Artest to miss Sacramento's opener here, and even if no one has any idea how long he'll stay.

In the glory days of summer league in the 1980s, big-name veterans making cameos were commonplace. I still remember my first trip to the L.A. Summer League in 1989: Dominique Wilkins and Karl Malone were among the future Hall of Famers who dropped in unannounced for a good run.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 04:46:48 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Summer league is only important for rookies. No-one else. It's only purpose is to give guys an opportunity to see what the NBA is like in terms of a step-up from college ball. Beyond that, it is no more valuable than pickup games NBA guys play against each other during the summer.

I wouldn't put Fultz there because I don't think he has worked long enough with his shooting coach yet. If summer league was on the other end of the summer - before training camp - I'd have put Fultz in it. But this is too soon after the playoffs for Fultz.

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2018, 07:25:13 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Summer league is only important for rookies. No-one else. It's only purpose is to give guys an opportunity to see what the NBA is like in terms of a step-up from college ball. Beyond that, it is no more valuable than pickup games NBA guys play against each other during the summer.

I wouldn't put Fultz there because I don't think he has worked long enough with his shooting coach yet. If summer league was on the other end of the summer - before training camp - I'd have put Fultz in it. But this is too soon after the playoffs for Fultz.
I understand that point but it is better than pickup in the following ways:
1) All NBA or near-NBA players, no rec league or pro-am type walk-ins.
2) Real refs / shot clock / game clock / fans / environment
3) Real coaching
4) See bdm860's post just above yours.

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 07:42:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

So they are hiding him as I said, so they do not hurt his trade value.   I think he may be wrecked the rest of his life.  Were I guarding him I would tell him things about his form to get in his head and you can bet nba guys will, too.  Something was going on he second half of college too as they hid him for half the year.

Also, Brown played in two Summer Leagues and in a way it was his coming out party for starting, ditto for Rozier.   Tatum will not because he is prioritizing his needs and it is working on his strength levels.

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 08:43:53 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I thought it was very odd he wasn't playing IMO that doesn't speak well.

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2018, 11:14:25 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I thought it was very odd he wasn't playing IMO that doesn't speak well.

After reading all this, this is my take as well. Glad I am not alone

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 12:19:31 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Exactly.  Focus on getting Fultz ready for the pre-season.  Don't disrupt his progress with Hanlen.  Hanlen's talking about him being ready by the end of summer. 

https://www.phillyvoice.com/trainer-drew-hanlen-dishes-markelle-fultzs-new-jumper-case-yips/

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2018, 12:55:11 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
He's going to be scrutinized wildly... ...but that's not enough for me to hold him out unless the shot, health or head isn't there.

He should be working on his game and competitiveness in summer league. Learn how to grind and get the critics to calm down.

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 01:04:43 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
He's going to be scrutinized wildly... ...but that's not enough for me to hold him out unless the shot, health or head isn't there.

He should be working on his game and competitiveness in summer league. Learn how to grind and get the critics to calm down.
Clearly the shot isn't ready yet.  Hanlin's quote from the link I posted. 

We’ve been working hard every day, working on rewiring his body and getting a kind of smooth stroke back into his shot. We’re way ahead of pace where I thought we were going to be, I thought it was going to take me at least six weeks before we had kind of a serviceable jump shot, and we’re already starting to shoot with a jump in week two.

It’s not perfect yet, but I think by the end of the summer it will be perfect, he’ll be back rolling and he’ll show people why he was the No. 1 pick. Even though I still give him trouble on a daily basis and tell him and remind him I still believe Jayson Tatum was the best player in that draft.