Author Topic: Reddit user summarizes 3 Cleveland beat writers podcasts regarding Kyrie/Cavs  (Read 3813 times)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I feel about as validated as possible regarding all things Kyrie to this point.  I understand it's not good for the organization (hence why I care), but it always feels good to be right, right?

Here is a recap for the time-limited reader:

Kyrie never made strong relationships within the Cavs.  This was not due to LeBron's arrival, as it was the case before and after.
   interpretation: Kyrie does not get along well with others, lacks professionalism

Kyrie did not like Mike Brown because another player under his agent did not like Mike Brown.
   interpretation: Kyrie does not form his own opinions of others. 

Cavs seriously considered drafting Waiters ahead of Kyrie.
   interpretation: Waiters was considered flawed because of his attitude and lack of a natural position, so perhaps Kyrie was seen as flawed or overly concerning due to injury history.

Kyrie did not like Lue because Lue encouraged players to 'put their brands aside' for the sake of winning.
   interpretation: Prioritizes his brand (selfish, narcissist), can't get along with others

Lue stated that Kyrie treated him like a stranger since day 1 and he was 'impossible to get through to'
   interpretation: Narcissist, can't get along with others.

Kyrie did not appreciate LeBron directing questions towards him
   interpretation: Narcissist, can't get along with others

Kyrie was upset because a reporter approached him about LeBron's 3 point shot
   interpretation: Narcissist, which goes hand-in-hand with jealousy and deep insecurity

Kyrie was upset because LeBron got credit for "I can't breathe shirts" but Kyrie wore them first!
   interpretation: Immature narcissist

Kyrie wanted out of CLE last year in large part because the team was built around LeBron and he would ultimately be left with those pieces
   interpretation: Somewhat fair, though he's not good enough for a championship team to be built around his strengths

Related to the above, Kyrie threatened surgery if he was not traded
   interpretation: Immature, lack of professionalism

The flat earth drama really bothered Kyrie -- he was upset that this garnered so much attention instead of social/political issues (like LeBron received more attention for)
   interpretation: Immature, jealous.  If Kyrie wanted to make statements about social/political issues, he should have done just that -- instead, he took an indirect approach (if he's being honest) that was more driven by more attention-seeking behavior.

Kyrie did not talk to any of his teammates between the Indiana and Toronto series, not even during practices
   interpretation: Immature, narcissist, doesn't get along well with others

-----

In a nutshell, Kyrie is a jerk with all sorts of issues and a very warped perception of how special he is.   

For some reason, Celtics fans refuse to acknowledge this.  Yet I'm positive that when he does cross a line with fans (e.g., abandon the team; bash his teammates or the organization, etc), many will suddenly become upset as if they didn't expect it.  But please remember: The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

When this day comes, I promise not to say "I told you so."  I'd rather you just consider the importance of character in team-building.
Man I'd love to be a politician with you as a voter. Lap up the 2+2=5

To pick just one of your examples. Kyrie did not object to Lue saying put your brand aside, he objected to LeBron getting to continue his when others simply had to fall in line. The point is that an environment with LeBron is one where you cannot express your individuality. That's fine for some, not fine for others.
Rofl, TP.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I have an entirely different interpretation on Kyrie than tarheels. While I agree that I would be upset if he left in FA, at this point, I just see him as a mostly quiet guy who wants his opinions to be validated. Narcissistic is not how I would describe his behaviors at all.

First, that team needed to be built around LeBron because he is the best player in the world and that is what is required. LeBron can be a bit obtrusive, which is fine if he genuinely acknowledges the quality of his teammates and lets them be heard, but that is part his fault and part the medias.

I can see why Kyrie feels a great sense of relief - Lebron did leave and that team is in disarray with its salary cap. In Boston, he is respected, admired, and on a great team with the potential to be even greater. If he leaves this situation, then he is a fool; but I am not going to judge him harshly until that happens.

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I feel about as validated as possible regarding all things Kyrie to this point.  I understand it's not good for the organization (hence why I care), but it always feels good to be right, right?

Here is a recap for the time-limited reader:

Kyrie never made strong relationships within the Cavs.  This was not due to LeBron's arrival, as it was the case before and after.
   interpretation: Kyrie does not get along well with others, lacks professionalism

Kyrie did not like Mike Brown because another player under his agent did not like Mike Brown.
   interpretation: Kyrie does not form his own opinions of others. 

Cavs seriously considered drafting Waiters ahead of Kyrie.
   interpretation: Waiters was considered flawed because of his attitude and lack of a natural position, so perhaps Kyrie was seen as flawed or overly concerning due to injury history.

Kyrie did not like Lue because Lue encouraged players to 'put their brands aside' for the sake of winning.
   interpretation: Prioritizes his brand (selfish, narcissist), can't get along with others

Lue stated that Kyrie treated him like a stranger since day 1 and he was 'impossible to get through to'
   interpretation: Narcissist, can't get along with others.

Kyrie did not appreciate LeBron directing questions towards him
   interpretation: Narcissist, can't get along with others

Kyrie was upset because a reporter approached him about LeBron's 3 point shot
   interpretation: Narcissist, which goes hand-in-hand with jealousy and deep insecurity

Kyrie was upset because LeBron got credit for "I can't breathe shirts" but Kyrie wore them first!
   interpretation: Immature narcissist

Kyrie wanted out of CLE last year in large part because the team was built around LeBron and he would ultimately be left with those pieces
   interpretation: Somewhat fair, though he's not good enough for a championship team to be built around his strengths

Related to the above, Kyrie threatened surgery if he was not traded
   interpretation: Immature, lack of professionalism

The flat earth drama really bothered Kyrie -- he was upset that this garnered so much attention instead of social/political issues (like LeBron received more attention for)
   interpretation: Immature, jealous.  If Kyrie wanted to make statements about social/political issues, he should have done just that -- instead, he took an indirect approach (if he's being honest) that was more driven by more attention-seeking behavior.

Kyrie did not talk to any of his teammates between the Indiana and Toronto series, not even during practices
   interpretation: Immature, narcissist, doesn't get along well with others

-----

In a nutshell, Kyrie is a jerk with all sorts of issues and a very warped perception of how special he is.   

For some reason, Celtics fans refuse to acknowledge this.  Yet I'm positive that when he does cross a line with fans (e.g., abandon the team; bash his teammates or the organization, etc), many will suddenly become upset as if they didn't expect it.  But please remember: The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

When this day comes, I promise not to say "I told you so."  I'd rather you just consider the importance of character in team-building.

I find it interesting how our interpretations are different in almost every scenario you brought up. I know that you had strong opinions of Kyrie before he came to Boston, but I am happy he is here now. I'm going to try to give him an objective take while he is here. I'm not too concerned about his time in CLE.

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
There is definitely some truth to the notion that Kyrie was a prima donna and somewhat immature during his time in Cleveland. But keep in mind we are talking about a professional athlete between the ages of 19 and 24. Guys are allowed to mature over time, in fact we'd expect it.

Remember Pierce early in his career? There were many Celtics fans during those days who wanted him out of town (I was one of them, after the now-infamous IND-BOS Game 6 in 2005), on the basis of his character, maturity and work ethic. He also had the "good player on a bad team" comment early on, which made him sound like an egocentric jerk. Well, as he aged he turned into a hard worker and a good teammate. Point is, people grow.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
There is definitely some truth to the notion that Kyrie was a prima donna and somewhat immature during his time in Cleveland. But keep in mind we are talking about a professional athlete between the ages of 19 and 24. Guys are allowed to mature over time, in fact we'd expect it.

Remember Pierce early in his career? There were many Celtics fans during those days who wanted him out of town (I was one of them, after the now-infamous IND-BOS Game 6 in 2005), on the basis of his character, maturity and work ethic. He also had the "good player on a bad team" comment early on, which made him sound like an egocentric jerk. Well, as he aged he turned into a hard worker and a good teammate. Point is, people grow.

Immature, for sure. Was he a prima donna, though? It sounds like he didn't like the organization or Lebron and wanted things a certain way but he still showed up to work and did his job at a high level including helping bring a championship to his team. I don't ever remember Kyrie publicly complaining until the trade request came out.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008