Author Topic: Right Now, Project the Eastern Conference  (Read 5365 times)

Re: Right Now, Project the Eastern Conference
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 11:49:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Indiana was the 4 seed last year.  They have added Tyreke, O’Quinn, and McDermott while removing Al Jefferson and Lance Stephenson from their rotation.  That’s a real upgrade, and I fully expect them in the 2-4 seed range.

Nitpicking but they were the 5 seed, their Game 7 was in Cleveland.

Thanks for the nitpick.  I thought I should look it up, but then relied on my memory (a mistake to do on 3 hours of sleep).

That said, Cleveland isn’t going to be the 4 seed this year.

Definitely not. I just feel like the Pacers overachieved a bit with the roster they had last year (to their credit), and their regression to the mean will mostly be negated by their improved rotation.  I think a competently coached Bucks team should be better than them, at least in the regular season.
That was absolutely my thinking.  Their projected wins were only 45 last year (still would have been the 5 seed, but 3 less than they actually got).  They also had pretty solid health.  And frankly, I think they really overachieved last year.  Now maybe they get huge bumps, but they won 48 last year and I projected them from 47-52 this year.  That seems about right for a team that overachieved though did improve. 

and not that I think it changes much, but when I started the thread O'Quinn hadn't actually been announced.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 11:53:20 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I don't really disagree with anything anybody has put here but will say philly has the highest variability of any team in my mind. They were a lot closer to a 46-47 win team last year that benefitted immensely from having their schedule skewed to play all the tanking teams in the last 6 weeks of the season. That being said if fultz gives them something this year and Simmons even adds a half jumpshot they could be quite a bit better. I think Indiana and Washington could both surprise

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 11:58:29 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
1. Boston
2. Toronto
3. Indiana
4. Philadelphia
5. Milwaukee
6. Washington
7. Cleveland
8. Miami
9. Detroit
10. Orlando
11. Brooklyn
12. Charlotte
13. New York
14. Atlanta
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 12:05:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I see that everyone has the Hornets in the 7 to 9 spots.  How?  How did they get better?  They lost Howard (Now they do NOT have a true center unless you count Mosgov!!!) and they drafted wisely (Shai) and then proceeded to trade him for Miles Bridges, and SG that cannot dribble and the does not have much lift on his shot.

Did I miss HOW they improved?

Thanks,

Smitty77

I don't think Dwight Howard helped Charlotte at all last year. They looked just as good with Cody Zeller or Kaminsky on the floor instead of him. They have Hernangomez from NY too. I don't think they will miss Dwight Howard at all.

Dwight was clearly more talented than those guys but he never seemed to fit in there. Never had good chemistry with his teammates. They didn't function that well with him despite Howard putting up good individual stat lines.

I don't expect Charlotte to improve next year but I don't see them falling down the standings either. Same same, just different.

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 12:36:50 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
Here is my prediction
remember Cleveland doesn't have their pick outside of the top 10 so they have an incentive to tank.
I think they trade Love at some point

I am also assuming that Orlando signs Isaiah thomas.

I'm not a fan of Miami right now especially with how terrible Hassan Whiteside has been. I have faith in Dwayne Casey as a coach. SOmething to consider is Detroit never had a full season of blake griffin so their record should be better.

1. Boston
2. Toronto
3. Philly
4. Indiana
5. Milwaukee
6. Washington
7. Detroit
8. Miami
9. Charlotte
10. Brooklyn
11. Orlando
12. New York
13. Chicago
14. Cleveland
15. Atlanta
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 06:16:46 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I see that everyone has the Hornets in the 7 to 9 spots.  How?  How did they get better?  They lost Howard (Now they do NOT have a true center unless you count Mosgov!!!) and they drafted wisely (Shai) and then proceeded to trade him for Miles Bridges, and SG that cannot dribble and the does not have much lift on his shot.

Thanks,

Smitty77

I don't think Dwight Howard helped Charlotte at all last year. They looked just as good with Cody Zeller or Kaminsky on the floor instead of him. They have Hernangomez from NY too. I don't think they will miss Dwight Howard at all.

Dwight was clearly more talented than those guys but he never seemed to fit in there. Never had good chemistry with his teammates. They didn't function that well with him despite Howard putting up good individual stat lines.

I don't expect Charlotte to improve next year but I don't see them falling down the standings either. Same same, just different.

I live about 45 minutes from their arena, and that smoke they sold after trading Howard was just that, smoke.  I NEVER saw friction between he and his teammates, and all the games (virtually) are on local TV.  The centers you mentioned are SOFT as Charmin!!!  I call Kaminsky "Frank the Charmin Tank!!"

Smitty77

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 06:44:44 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Thanks,

Smitty77
tp

They did not improve and have been panicking trying to see if they should trade kemba and tank or build around him. They have the foundation of a terribly managed team

They should have kept Jeremy lin when they had the chance

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 07:21:59 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
I have Indiana ahead of the Raptors. They were on upward trajectory and now just added more talent. Raptors have reached their peak and may no longer be the same without Dwayne Casey.

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2018, 08:00:52 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Indiana has the making of the being best team in East if everything fall together for them...they have same team as last year and added Tyreke Evans, Kyle O'Quinn and the rookie Holiday
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 08:03:43 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
1) Boston
2) Philly
3) Toronto
4) Washington
5) Milwaukee
6) Indiana
7) Miami
8 ) Detroit
-------------
9) Charlotte
10) Brooklyn
11) Chicago
12) Orlando
13) Cleveland
14) New York
15) Atlanta

Of course, Indiana looks like an outlier on my list. It's not that I think they will be demonstrably worse, just that I think Washington and Milwaukee will get their acts together. I didn't put much thought into my non-playoff teams rankings - not trying to make any statements there.

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 08:52:03 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Celtics
Raptors
76ers
Pacers
Wizards
Bucks
Pistons
Heat

Magic (with IT they will come close to making playoffs)
Nets (will surprise and improve again)
Hornets (no dwight, will take step back(
Cavs (no lebron)
Knicks (kp will be out for possibly whole season)
Hawks (bad team)

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2018, 10:26:44 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Boston
Toronto
Philly
everyone else and it doesn't matter the order since nobody is beating us. 

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 10:39:31 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Boston
Toronto
Philly
everyone else and it doesn't matter the order since nobody is beating us.
beat me to it. tp. yep, this is the future season.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2018, 10:54:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
1. Boston Celtics

2-15. Don't care.

What I do care about:

Western Conference

1-14. Don't care

15. Sacramento
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:02:26 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 11:21:30 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
1. Boston Celtics

2-16. Don't care.

What I do care about:

Western Conference

1-15. Don't care

16. Sacramento
Unless you know of an ultra stealth expansion, there are only 15 teams in each conference.