Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) vs 76ers (0-0) Vegas SL Game 1 7/6/18  (Read 20301 times)

Re: Celtics (0-0) vs 76ers (0-0) Vegas SL Game 1 7/6/18
« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2018, 10:24:23 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
We win and they do a post game interview with a 76er player. This broadcast brought to you by the guys who voted Ainge 4th place for exec of the year, Stevens 3rd place for COY

Eh, he scored the third-most ever in a summer league game, and was clearly the biggest individual story.  Wasn’t unreasonable.

Did Boston ever put Uthoff on Korkmaz?

« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2018, 10:32:45 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
You're getting annoying but I'll answer.  They want him to focus on his shooting sessions with Drew Hanlin.  There really isn't much upside to him playing summer league and quite a bit of downside.  If you recall, he got injured last summer league and ended up missing a few weeks

BS Translation activating:   if people could see he can't shoot still it would hurt his trade value.
His trade value is low.  Shooting well in summer league wouldn't affect that.  Shooting poorly could adversely affect whatever confidence he has built back.  Suffering even a minor injury would set back his recovery.  They need to get Fultz in the best position physically and mentally for him to succeed before they put him on the court in a competitive game. 

The Yips can be quite serious.  MLB pitchers who can no longer throw strikes consistently.  An MLB catcher who can't throw the ball back to the pitcher on the mound. 
https://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/5-worst-cases-of-yips-in-baseball1.htm

« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2018, 10:33:54 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
And Yabu seals the game! 

Summer league basketball is ugly, but it's basketball.  Happy to see a win.
As Summer League goes, this wasn't a hard to watch game.

« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2018, 10:50:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I lost interest when Williams taken out.

Hope nothing serious.

« Reply #184 on: July 06, 2018, 10:51:49 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
You're getting annoying but I'll answer.  They want him to focus on his shooting sessions with Drew Hanlin.  There really isn't much upside to him playing summer league and quite a bit of downside.  If you recall, he got injured last summer league and ended up missing a few weeks

BS Translation activating:   if people could see he can't shoot still it would hurt his trade value.

AKA They're trying to snooker SAS into believing the Sixers really don't want to give him up to get a top 5 talent, but if they insist...

« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2018, 10:52:37 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Just some quick notes:

• Bird looks pretty good, but I'm afraid his frailty is always going to be an issue.  He just doesn't have the look of any sort of sturdiness aboout him.
  • Semi looked solid, as we should have expected.  I'm sure Brad was happy to see that.
  • Yabu reminds me of Perk.  Odd run, awkward looking when moving on the court, both with and without the ball, powerfully built.  I'm not equating them, but I do find that similarity interesting.  On a more game-specific note, he'd better get that shot to fall more often, if he wants to stay in the NBA.
  • Williams sucked! was awesome! showed the sort of ups and downs we'd expect in a first outing.  The knee report I heard from the commenters on tv didn't seem like a problem, so here's to him playing tomorrow without those first game jitters.

That seems like enough for a start.
I'm not so optimistic about what we saw. Yabu still looks raw, hasn't grown as much as he should have. I also think Semi didn't really show us what we needed to see. He was better attacking the rim, but I don't think that will ever be an important part of his game in the NBA. He needs to be able to hit the three, and he still can't. It's only the first game, but it's worrisome. If he can't hit threes then his ceiling is low and he will be of limited value.

« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2018, 10:56:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
We win and they do a post game interview with a 76er player. This broadcast brought to you by the guys who voted Ainge 4th place for exec of the year, Stevens 3rd place for COY

Yeah it still baffles me that Ainge didn’t win executive of the year. He (1) brought in Hayward in free agency, (2) swindled Philly out of the Sacramento pick to trade down and get our guy who we were taking all along, and (3) brutalized Cleveland by nabbing Irving for spare parts. How any other team even comes close to that is beyond me.

« Reply #187 on: July 07, 2018, 01:33:35 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Just some quick notes:

• Bird looks pretty good, but I'm afraid his frailty is always going to be an issue.  He just doesn't have the look of any sort of sturdiness aboout him.
  • Semi looked solid, as we should have expected.  I'm sure Brad was happy to see that.
  • Yabu reminds me of Perk.  Odd run, awkward looking when moving on the court, both with and without the ball, powerfully built.  I'm not equating them, but I do find that similarity interesting.  On a more game-specific note, he'd better get that shot to fall more often, if he wants to stay in the NBA.
  • Williams sucked! was awesome! showed the sort of ups and downs we'd expect in a first outing.  The knee report I heard from the commenters on tv didn't seem like a problem, so here's to him playing tomorrow without those first game jitters.

Actually, that's a pretty good start. The 2nd year guys looked like they were much improved from their first SL, Bird showed he's probably worth the QO we gave him, and RW looked like a rookie 1st round big instead of Fab Melo.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:44:01 AM by colincb »

« Reply #188 on: July 07, 2018, 01:39:35 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Wow that Yabu iso at the end to seal it...
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #189 on: July 07, 2018, 02:48:27 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

His trade value is low.  Shooting well in summer league wouldn't affect that.  Shooting poorly could adversely affect whatever confidence he has built back.  Suffering even a minor injury would set back his recovery.  They need to get Fultz in the best position physically and mentally for him to succeed before they put him on the court in a competitive game. 

The Yips can be quite serious.  MLB pitchers who can no longer throw strikes consistently.  An MLB catcher who can't throw the ball back to the pitcher on the mound. 
https://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/5-worst-cases-of-yips-in-baseball1.htm

Double post

« Reply #190 on: July 07, 2018, 02:50:03 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Where is fultz? I am worried about him
Fultz isn't playing Summer league.

Wow. Most 76ers fans really wanted him to get in the reps cause he had such limited game action in a wasted season. But do pray tell, why is he above it all superfan?
You're getting annoying but I'll answer.  They want him to focus on his shooting sessions with Drew Hanlin.  There really isn't much upside to him playing summer league and quite a bit of downside.  If you recall, he got injured last summer league and ended up missing a few weeks.   
lol
I agree with the lol here.

« Reply #191 on: July 07, 2018, 07:06:59 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Bird looks pretty good, but I'm afraid his frailty is always going to be an issue.  He just doesn't have the look of any sort of sturdiness aboout him.

Are you serious, Reggie Miller and George Gervin looked anorexic and they did fine.  It's not the old NBA where hand checking could stop guys who were skinny.

« Reply #192 on: July 07, 2018, 07:49:11 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Just some quick notes:

I'm not so optimistic about what we saw. Yabu still looks raw, hasn't grown as much as he should have. I also think Semi didn't really show us what we needed to see. He was better attacking the rim, but I don't think that will ever be an important part of his game in the NBA. He needs to be able to hit the three, and he still can't. It's only the first game, but it's worrisome. If he can't hit threes then his ceiling is low and he will be of limited value.
Agree on Yabu.  He still looks a bit out of control and really needs to hit 3's consistently if he is going to take them.  He reminds me of Big Baby Davis with the way he can use his girth to get where he wants.

Disagree on Semi.  Like Yabu, he still needs to hit 3's consistently but I like the way he attacks the rim more aggressively, and his defense is still solid.

« Reply #193 on: July 07, 2018, 07:58:04 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
We know Semi can defend, so no surprise there. I don’t think it means much that he was able to attack the rim in a summer league game, the defense is terrible in summer league. To be more than a fringe player in the NBA he needs to be able to hit threes. The fact that he does not seem to have improved on this is concerning.

« Reply #194 on: July 07, 2018, 08:26:13 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
We know Semi can defend, so no surprise there. I don’t think it means much that he was able to attack the rim in a summer league game, the defense is terrible in summer league. To be more than a fringe player in the NBA he needs to be able to hit threes. The fact that he does not seem to have improved on this is concerning.
Fair enough.  Let's see how he does tonight.  He might have felt undue pressure to lead this junior squad.