Author Topic: Hawks pick swap will be viewed as an all time bad decision  (Read 1452 times)

Hawks pick swap will be viewed as an all time bad decision
« on: July 04, 2018, 04:34:54 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
The Doncic - Young trade was, is and will be viewed as an all time blunder on behalf of the Hawks management. I don’t think Doncic will become a top 5 level talent but he definitely has star written all over him and to make matters worse he’s landed in a perfect situation with a great coach and the best possible mentor in Dirk, where I can envision Hawks trading away Young within 4 years and he could easily be out of the league in 8. It’s obvious that Hawks are trying to replicate Golden State formula and in doing so have had blinkers on picking Young as some type of Curry clone instead of picking the best talent available. I think what has kept Spurs competitive is they are not set on one type of formula and always take the best talent available and work out the best suited playing style after. If you look at Van Gundy’s Pistons it was similar to Hawks in him trying to recreate his team in Orlando...and we all now how that worked out.

Re: Hawks pick swap will be viewed as an all time bad decision
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 04:39:13 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Too early

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 04:39:38 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I agree. I hated that deal for the Hawks the moment it was announced. It's a steal for Dallas. The Hawks front office continues to be clueless.

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 04:52:36 PM »

Offline LRNation_

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Trae Young was an overrated prospect imo. Judging by his summer league, he has bust written all over him (terrible shooting, his greatest strength). I'm pretty sure Trae's athleticism is below average, and if you can't shoot, you won't get anywhere in the NBA.
Personally thought the Mavs hardcore fleeced the Hawks, however, it is only 2 summer league games in (then, he is doing really bad in the summer league).

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 05:29:53 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
who is Trae Young?

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 05:34:32 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Trae Young was an overrated prospect imo. Judging by his summer league, he has bust written all over him (terrible shooting, his greatest strength). I'm pretty sure Trae's athleticism is below average, and if you can't shoot, you won't get anywhere in the NBA.
Personally thought the Mavs hardcore fleeced the Hawks, however, it is only 2 summer league games in (then, he is doing really bad in the summer league).
People overreacting.  I’m pretty sure Trae young can shoot.  Guys struggle shooting early on very often. 

And I agree it’s much too early to judge this a bad trade, never mind an all time one. 

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 06:08:17 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
People overreacting.  I’m pretty sure Trae young can shoot.  Guys struggle shooting early on very often. 

And I agree it’s much too early to judge this a bad trade, never mind an all time one.
I too was a bit shocked when the deal was made.  I will ignore SL, but even so, Young’s upside looks like Monta Ellis.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 06:16:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I think underground deals are made. Like Cuban wiring 30 million bucks to the Hawks ownership to make this happen. Just so convenient for Dallas it smells of fish.

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 06:19:38 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I too was a bit shocked when the deal was made.  I will ignore SL, but even so, Young’s upside looks like Monta Ellis.
I’m not disagreeing as I was shocked too.  But clearly the hawks see something in young and apparently got their guy.  They might be wrong but give them credit for a balsy move. 

As far as Ellis, I see the resemblance but young is more of a proven playmaker. 

And who knows about doncic. 

So time will tell I guess. 

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 06:20:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The Doncic - Young trade was, is and will be viewed as an all time blunder on behalf of the Hawks management. I don’t think Doncic will become a top 5 level talent but he definitely has star written all over him

Yes, it looks bad, but it is too early.  Also, summer league means nothing really though.