Author Topic: What is OKC doing ?  (Read 2814 times)

What is OKC doing ?
« on: July 04, 2018, 03:56:48 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
https://thebiglead.com/2018/07/04/thunder-luxury-tax-paul-george-russell-westbrook/

The Thunder re-signed Raymond Felton to a one-year, $2.4 million deal Tuesday night. In doing so,  the Thunder have become the first team to cross the $300 million mark in salary and projected luxury tax commitments. They now have a luxury tax bill of $150 million, according to ESPN’s Bobby Marks.

Why ????

Biggest waste of money i've ever seen.....

Re: What is OKC doing ?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 04:09:07 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I really have no idea what they are doing. Hefty price tag for meaningless playoff appearances.

I guess they have to fill out their roster so what’s the difference between $290M and $300M, even when it’s for someone as washed as Felton?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 04:12:56 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I really have no idea what they are doing. Hefty price tag for meaningless playoff appearances.

I guess they have to fill out their roster so what’s the difference between $290M and $300M, even when it’s for someone as washed as Felton?

$10M

Seriously now, did they get to pay lux tax for Felton? Was there a way to avoid it? I have no idea about cap rules, insights would be appreciated.

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 04:23:53 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I think they were already in luxury tax

Felton "helped" them reach 300m. 

Considering they sent Harden to Houston because they couldn't sustain a 100m payroll this is beyond crazy

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 07:39:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I still the Thunder could pose problems for the Warriors especially if Roberson is healthy.  They do need Anthony to buy in though and come off the bench
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 08:48:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I still the Thunder could pose problems for the Warriors especially if Roberson is healthy

Lucky for the warriors Anthony is on that team and he will cause problems.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 08:58:03 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This kinda shows me that either the cap is too low or teams are making tons of money. It's also further proof that these teams need no tax payer support whatsoever and that winning must have a pretty tangible benefit for teams

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 09:16:15 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
OKC will certainly do some tax management before the summer is over, but it seems like their tax bill will be at least $40 million this year.

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 09:34:23 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I’m starting to think owners are less worried about going deep into the tax with now legalized gambling, which probably has vastly increased the value of teams.

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 09:38:23 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
OKC will certainly do some tax management before the summer is over, but it seems like their tax bill will be at least $40 million this year.
Can they realistically even get it that low?  No team has the cap space to absorb Melo's contract.  Abrines and Singler seem like the only ones they'll move. 

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 09:57:25 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I’m starting to think owners are less worried about going deep into the tax with now legalized gambling, which probably has vastly increased the value of teams.

Perhaps a bit of that.  But the NBA also saw that a lot of teams were potentially going to have tax problems this year, so they tripled the line of credit teams can tap into from the league.  The presumably low interest rate combined with increased future revenues probably both factored in to some extent.

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 10:06:25 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Can they realistically even get it that low?  No team has the cap space to absorb Melo's contract.  Abrines and Singler seem like the only ones they'll move.

Stretching Melo helps a lot... At that's what I ve read.

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 10:10:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

Stretching Melo helps a lot... At that's what I ve read.
save them like 91 million this year, though some of that is made up in future years obviously. 

The problem is both George and Westbrook like Melo and they have no way to replace him.  Now maybe it is worth it, but maybe not.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 10:35:51 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
This team has a lot of talent and adds a much needed back up big in Noel. They really just need a coach, too much talent to be a first round out. Gotta keep Westbrook and Melo under control. Shocked PG decided to stay for this madness.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 11:01:17 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

They can stretch Singler over 5 years and Melo over three, which will knock $20 million off their books, and an amount too high for me to calculate off their tax..  Then they could probably dump Abrines.  Maybe $45 million is the floor — I didn’t add up every number — it’ll still be high regardless, and they’ll probably have a similar tax bill next year thanks to the stretched salaries.