Poll

So what says you, will the Lakers make the playoffs as currently constructed?

No
Yes, easily
Yes, but barely

Author Topic: As currently constructed do you think the Lakers will make the playoffs?  (Read 7791 times)

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Yes, but probably as somewhere between a 5-7 seed.

I feel like folks are overrating the Lakers a bit tbh. Most assume Kawhi gets traded to LAL, but that's still no guarantee. Meanwhile, if this is basically the team that they field next year, then I suspect there'll be tons of drama lol. Rondo, Ball Family, McGee, Lance? YIKES.

Also, Golden State and Houston are the cream of the West, but then you got a sturdy field of OKC, POR, MIN, Utah, Denver, etc. to deal with, and NONE of them are pushovers IMHO.

This isn't like the East where 40 wins could get you in the playoffs. We've seen teams with close to 50 not make it or make it as a 7-8 seed. Now do you think, even with Lebron, this Lakers team as CURRENTLY CONSTRUCTED can pull off 50+ wins in a loaded west? Doubt it.

If LeBron is engaged they will go the conference finals at least. He is that good.

I’m not so sure he can beat Houston and/or Golden State, as I presume they will go 1-2.

With Kawhi, maybe.
CELTICS 2024

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
You can put Lebron on any team and they'll instantly turn into a playoff contender. Making it out in the conference is another topic.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
As currently constructed I'm really not sure.  But I don't think we'll ever find out because they'll at minimum pick up another decent big man in free agency and of course quite possibly Kawhi.

I don't see anything to suggest they're contenders even with Kawhi and Brook or even Capela at this point. You just need too much to catch up with the Warriors.

arent you confusing contending with actually winning it all. Of course they are contenders with that haul you just mentioned.

LeBron/Kawhi/Brook/Rondo/KCP/Lance/JaVale/Wagner plus whichever young guy they keep stands no chance against a healthy Golden State. Even swapping Capela in for Brook at best moves their chances from none to slim. There's just too big a gap unless multiple young guys make a Tatum-esque leap when they need it. Even that might not do it.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
As currently constructed I'm really not sure.  But I don't think we'll ever find out because they'll at minimum pick up another decent big man in free agency and of course quite possibly Kawhi.

I don't see anything to suggest they're contenders even with Kawhi and Brook or even Capela at this point. You just need too much to catch up with the Warriors.

arent you confusing contending with actually winning it all. Of course they are contenders with that haul you just mentioned.

LeBron/Kawhi/Brook/Rondo/KCP/Lance/JaVale/Wagner plus whichever young guy they keep stands no chance against a healthy Golden State. Even swapping Capela in for Brook at best moves their chances from none to slim. There's just too big a gap unless multiple young guys make a Tatum-esque leap when they need it. Even that might not do it.

What I don't understand is as to how/why the Lakers would ever want to bring back Brook Lopez. In terms of agility, dude makes Roy Hibbert look like Kevin Garnett, lol ;D.

That aside, I'm sure that they'll make the playoffs, but not getting Bradley and Howard really hurts them, imo. #Phew

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I do not care about the west... I only care who we will meet in the finals... and of course for sac to give us a top 5 pic.. warriors rockets wolves jazz Lakers thunder and 2 of spurs Denver Portland will reach the playoffs... mavs pelicans seem better than sac...clippers suns and sac are the 3 worst teams in west..

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Barely

Still not good enough

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
They will definitely make the playoffs. The lowest seed I see them as is 5.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
The 3rd seed last year was the Blazers, it's not that hard to make the Western Conference playoffs.  Its just really hard to win them

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The 3rd seed last year was the Blazers, it's not that hard to make the Western Conference playoffs.  Its just really hard to win them

This.

Also, hate to admit it, but that Lakers team will be fun to watch. Like something one would build in an NBA 2K game...gather a bunch of playmakers and put them on one team.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
LaVar Ball said the Lakers will destroy the Warriors (with Boogie) and win 4 championships in a row since LBJ signed a 4-year contract.

But realistically, he calling that the Lakers will win two championships with all of his boys and LeBron in the team.  :o

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
The Blazers roster top to bottom is significantly better than the Lakers roster right now. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
The Blazers roster top to bottom is significantly better than the Lakers roster right now.

Significantly better? I don't buy that.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
The Blazers rolled over and played dead against NOP.  Against Lebron, they might not even show up. 

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

you could reasonably argue that 3 of the 4 best players on those two teams are Blazers (Lillard, McCollom, and Nurkic).  They have significantly more depth and a much better roster construction.  That matters a great deal in the regular season, which is how you determine playoff teams.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Nurkic seems like a dinosaur I think Ingram is probably already better than him this year

you could reasonably argue that 3 of the 4 best players on those two teams are Blazers (Lillard, McCollom, and Nurkic).  They have significantly more depth and a much better roster construction.  That matters a great deal in the regular season, which is how you determine playoff teams.