Poll

So what says you, will the Lakers make the playoffs as currently constructed?

No
Yes, easily
Yes, but barely

Author Topic: As currently constructed do you think the Lakers will make the playoffs?  (Read 7790 times)

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Lebron and his relationship with the refs guarantees not only he will be in the playoffs but probably in the middle of the pack in that conference. If they pull off a trade with the Spurs, they will be a top 2-4 team.

I would say the refs are good for 5-10 extra wins for the Lakers. Don't kid yourselves folks, the NBA will make sure Lebron is in the playoffs.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yes they will make the playoffs but are no threat to win anything.

Exactly. They might make it to the 2nd round and that's it. Unfortunately, the Lakers are now the flavor of the month because Lebron is there so ESPN is going to constantly talk about how great they are going to be.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I voted no, but it'll be close. I think this Lakers team wins 44-48 games. Denver missed it with 46 last season.

Last year's Cavs were a 50 win team, why do you they will be worse than this Lakers squad? Im interested to read your opinion.
I think the Lakers are a worse team for a lot of reasons and are less likely to make the playoffs (just being in the west).  The West is a lot deeper than the East.  You put that team in the East and Lebron gets them to the playoffs, in the West it is a lot harder to make the playoffs.  That is just a fact.  I mean there are 7 teams you would say are a legit playoff teams in the East right now (Boston, Philly, Toronto, Washington, Milwaukee, Indiana, and Miami).  And let's be clear a number of those teams wouldn't make the playoffs in the West.  But after those 7 who is the 8th best team in the East right now.  It might in fact be Cleveland when Detroit and Charlotte are the best competition for that spot. 

Taking the conference aside, Kevin Love, right now, is by the best player on either the Cavs or Lakers (obviously outside of James).  I don't think it is particularly close at this point, though Ingram is obviously trending in the upward trajectory and will pass Love at some point in the future (I just don't think it is this year).  Hill, obviously not as talented as Ball or maybe even peak Rondo, is almost the perfect type of PG to play next to James.  He is a great shooter, solid defender, and can handle the ball in a pinch.  He is just a much better fit next to James.  Thompson is better than McGee.  Nance, Clarkson, and Smith are better bench players then their respective counterparts.  Korver, one of the greatest shooters ever, is a perfect fit next to James.  KCP vs. Hood is basically a crap shoot.  I mean Hood was scoring 18 a game last year on the Jazz before the late season trade to the Cavs.  I'd probably lean Hood as better, but KCP is probably a better fit next to James.

The Cavs salary structure is a mess and they have a lot of overpaid players, but by and large those overpaid players were acquired to play next to James.  They just fit better with him and because they had 4 years to assemble the supporting cast, the Cavs were a much deeper team then what the Lakers currently have. 

Again Kyle Kuzma is going to play center for large portions of games because the only centers on the Lakers roster are McGee and Zubac and the only way to get their 3 best players on the floor is to either play Kuzma at center or Ingram at SG, and neither of those are great options. Kuzma's backup is a late 1st round pick.  Stephenson is a basically a poor man's JR Smith at this point.  KCP just isn't very good.  Ball and Rondo are fine PG's, but neither can shoot, which is a problem next to James.

The Lakers are an absolute mess of a team right now, and they play in what might be the deepest conference in NBA history.  Unless they make some drastic moves, I really just don't see them making the playoffs.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I firmly believe that any team with Lebron is a shoo-in to make playoffs.  West or East. He will "will" it to happen, even if it means playing 40 min a game, averaging 30 ppg.  He can still do that. Easily.

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I think the crowd in LA is going to be a big plus for Lebron and the team as well. When they have a true star, that crowd will be coming out of hibernation that they have been in for years now-

and with his family now together in LA, the phrase Happy Wife, Happy Life will be helping him  as well :)

How long before they start moaning about changing the playoff format with all of the meat in the West? I bet that is going to get some movement this year.

Lebron will be a big factor in teaching Ingram and Ball about what it takes to win and prepare day in and day out. I am not happy about them learning from Yoda himself but it is what it is.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah but I think they're in the lower half scrum of 4th to 10th that was so close this past year.

If they are looking to be in bad danger of missing the playoffs I bet they end up paying for Kawhi though before it gets to bad. Currently it seems like they're making a leverage play and just letting the Spurs stew with an offer that only has one big time asset.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It's Lebron and the Lakers.  no way the league will not get him into the playoffs carrying the Laker banner.
And how exactly will the league do that over an entire season?
Lebron's always enjoyed kind officiating wherever he's gone.  I anticipate an even kinder one while in LA. 

Would like to be wrong.  I doubt that I am though

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I'm surprised that the yes, easily has 53% of the vote.  I mean a 46 win team didn't make the playoffs in the west last year.  Do that many people really think the Lakers are that easily an upper 40's or 50 win team?  Seems very strange to me.

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
7 or 8 seed

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Yes, easily

LeBron (durable to this point) will carry them

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I voted no, but it'll be close. I think this Lakers team wins 44-48 games. Denver missed it with 46 last season.

Last year's Cavs were a 50 win team, why do you they will be worse than this Lakers squad? Im interested to read your opinion.
I think the Lakers are a worse team for a lot of reasons and are less likely to make the playoffs (just being in the west).  The West is a lot deeper than the East.  You put that team in the East and Lebron gets them to the playoffs, in the West it is a lot harder to make the playoffs.  That is just a fact.  I mean there are 7 teams you would say are a legit playoff teams in the East right now (Boston, Philly, Toronto, Washington, Milwaukee, Indiana, and Miami).  And let's be clear a number of those teams wouldn't make the playoffs in the West.  But after those 7 who is the 8th best team in the East right now.  It might in fact be Cleveland when Detroit and Charlotte are the best competition for that spot. 

Taking the conference aside, Kevin Love, right now, is by the best player on either the Cavs or Lakers (obviously outside of James).  I don't think it is particularly close at this point, though Ingram is obviously trending in the upward trajectory and will pass Love at some point in the future (I just don't think it is this year).  Hill, obviously not as talented as Ball or maybe even peak Rondo, is almost the perfect type of PG to play next to James.  He is a great shooter, solid defender, and can handle the ball in a pinch.  He is just a much better fit next to James.  Thompson is better than McGee.  Nance, Clarkson, and Smith are better bench players then their respective counterparts.  Korver, one of the greatest shooters ever, is a perfect fit next to James.  KCP vs. Hood is basically a crap shoot.  I mean Hood was scoring 18 a game last year on the Jazz before the late season trade to the Cavs.  I'd probably lean Hood as better, but KCP is probably a better fit next to James.

The Cavs salary structure is a mess and they have a lot of overpaid players, but by and large those overpaid players were acquired to play next to James.  They just fit better with him and because they had 4 years to assemble the supporting cast, the Cavs were a much deeper team then what the Lakers currently have. 

Again Kyle Kuzma is going to play center for large portions of games because the only centers on the Lakers roster are McGee and Zubac and the only way to get their 3 best players on the floor is to either play Kuzma at center or Ingram at SG, and neither of those are great options. Kuzma's backup is a late 1st round pick.  Stephenson is a basically a poor man's JR Smith at this point.  KCP just isn't very good.  Ball and Rondo are fine PG's, but neither can shoot, which is a problem next to James.

The Lakers are an absolute mess of a team right now, and they play in what might be the deepest conference in NBA history.  Unless they make some drastic moves, I really just don't see them making the playoffs.
TP, good analysis.  Just a semantic point perhaps:  IMO, the Lakers are better with LBJ, but worse than the Cavs of last season.  In other words, they have a weaker supporting cast.  The fact that they are in the WC makes it even worse for them.  Still, I voted "barely make the playoffs".  Last season's Cavs make the playoffs easily in the WC.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Lakers won a lot of games with their supporting cast though. I think they'll be better than the Cavs were (assuming LBJ doesn't decline), though in the West that still is probably not a top 4 seed.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Lakers won a lot of games with their supporting cast though. I think they'll be better than the Cavs were (assuming LBJ doesn't decline), though in the West that still is probably not a top 4 seed.
The Lakers won 35 games, but they also had a real center in Lopez, a real power forward in Randle, and a lot more depth overall (especially before the IT trade).  They also played in a league where like 8 teams were outwardly tanking or basically made themselves intentionally terrible.  No question James makes them better, but even 10 more wins then last year probably isn't enough to make the playoffs.  Is James with all of the other roster moves (both additions and subtractions) worth like 15 wins?  I just don't see it with the current roster.  They need size and shooting badly.  They have 3 open roster spots, so they can still improve the roster even without a Kawhi trade, but right now that team just isn't very good.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
The Lakers won 35 games, but they also had a real center in Lopez, a real power forward in Randle, and a lot more depth overall (especially before the IT trade).  They also played in a league where like 8 teams were outwardly tanking or basically made themselves intentionally terrible.  No question James makes them better, but even 10 more wins then last year probably isn't enough to make the playoffs.  Is James with all of the other roster moves (both additions and subtractions) worth like 15 wins?  I just don't see it with the current roster.  They need size and shooting badly.  They have 3 open roster spots, so they can still improve the roster even without a Kawhi trade, but right now that team just isn't very good.

Should the Lakers go after Kyle Korver?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
It's up to Lebron.  If he wants to put max effort then they'll get to the playoffs.  If he wants to take a year and rest a lot and nurse his tired body and just get comfortable in a new place, then they won't make the playoffs.  Leonard is needed to do anything, so the big time effort doesn't start until he arrives.  I'm guessing Leonard arrives next year not this.