Poll

So what says you, will the Lakers make the playoffs as currently constructed?

No
Yes, easily
Yes, but barely

Author Topic: As currently constructed do you think the Lakers will make the playoffs?  (Read 7789 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
So this right now is the Lakers roster

PG - Ball, Rondo
SG - KCP, Stephenson, Hart
SF - James, Ingram, Deng
PF - Kuzma, Wagner
C - McGee, Zubac

So that team obviously isn't on the level of Golden State or Houston, the question is, can that team finish ahead of at least 3 of the following: Portland, Utah, Oklahoma City, New Orleans, Minnesota, Denver, San Antonio, LA Clippers

I'm not so sure it can.  What says you fine people of this forum?

EDIT: and that doesn't even include a team like the Grizzlies which were in the playoffs 2 seasons ago before losing Gasol and Conley for much of the year last year.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 10:45:28 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
yes. low seed.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Yes they will make the playoffs but are no threat to win anything.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I was thinking about this last night.  They do have a chance, but as you say, three of those teams are going to sit out.  It’s going to be tight, and probably decided by injuries.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It's Lebron and the Lakers.  no way the league will not get him into the playoffs carrying the Laker banner.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
It's Lebron and the Lakers.  no way the league will not get him into the playoffs carrying the Laker banner.
And how exactly will the league do that over an entire season?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I voted no, but it'll be close. I think this Lakers team wins 44-48 games. Denver missed it with 46 last season.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I voted no, but it'll be close. I think this Lakers team wins 44-48 games. Denver missed it with 46 last season.
I voted no as well.  glad to see I'm not the only one on the this team just isn't very good bandwagon. 

I also can't see Lebron playing all 82 games again and without Lebron that team is mediocre at best. 

It is just a poorly constructed team.  It lacks shooters, has very limited size (I mean as it is now, Kuzma is going to log heavy minutes at center next to James and Ingram). 

Magic is trying to lose an off season when he signed the best player in the world.  It is shocking how poor the moves they've made actually are.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:09:26 AM by Moranis »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
50 50 as is, but I also think there is only a 5% chance they are done and are not adding/changing players

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yes, LeBron can get them to the playoffs.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
50 50 as is, but I also think there is only a 5% chance they are done and are not adding/changing players
well yeah, they only have 12 players on the roster, and one of those is Deng, so they clearly need to add some players, but they have effectively used all their cap space and renounced their free agents, so they aren't adding any real money to the team (if they stretch Deng they can create some room, for maybe a player like Evans).  At this point, it seems like it is Kawhi Leonard or bust, of course that will be like a 3 for 1 trade making their roster numbers even smaller (though obviously acquiring Leonard makes them a clear playoff team if he is healthy). 

I'm not sure that they can really get much better without a major trade and outside of Leonard I don't know what that major trade is. 

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm not betting against Lebron putting on a team on his back & carrying them to a playoff berth.  Not until I see him fail in that regard.

Yes.  But barely

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
This is not serious, right? Lebron went to the finals w a bad team.

Lebron takes the team as currently constructed to 4 or 5 seed.  When the other shoe drops they are likely goin to be a 2 or 3 seed.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Last year's Cavs were a 50 win team, why do you they will be worse than this Lakers squad? Im interested to read your opinion.

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

Last year's Cavs were a 50 win team, why do you they will be worse than this Lakers squad? Im interested to read your opinion.

Lebron by himself can put the freakin Hawks as constructed into the playoffs.. Cavs right now without Bron will definitely miss the playoffs and the Fakers with Bron right now are a 4th seed team.