Author Topic: 76ers resign JJ Reddick  (Read 4305 times)

Re: 76ers resign JJ Reddick
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2018, 06:08:37 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
 wrong thread

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2018, 12:59:47 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
If it keeps him away from the Lakers I'm fine with it. Kinda surprised he wasn't able to leverage it into a multi-year deal with Philly losing multiple shooters already but there's not much FA money out there.

He gets a no trade deal out of it being a 1-year deal.

wow that is awful
You're takes are really off.  No one said Redick was going to sign cheap unless it was to accommodate signing Lebron.  1 year 13M for Redick is not bad at all.  He's a great fit for the Sixers and arguably had his best season with them.  By going with larger 1 year deals, they are maintaining their max cap space for next off season.  If Redick had signed somewhere else, you would have been proclaiming it to be a huge blow to the Sixers.

I would say you takes are really off regarding Philly and multiple posters have called you out on it. I don't think this is some horrible deal. It is probably about 4 million more than I thought he would get (and many 76ers fans agree). I do think the no trade part is awful cause things are very fluid in the NBA and having a guy like him you can't trade could be problematic. I also didn't think it was some huge loss they lost belli and illy, but they were nice regular season bench players that seemed to have good chemistry.
Ariza got 1yr/15M.  KCP got 1yr/12-13M.   Last season the Rockets offered Redick 3yr/36M.  The no trade part doesn't matter.  The Sixers aren't going to trade him.  After this season, they'll have Early Bird rights for Redick.

I feel like you are kind of making my point for me. Pope is literally 10 years younger than Reddick, plays defense and shot 38% from 3 last year. The fact that he got the same amount of money as Reddick doesn't seem like a much better deal for pope? Ariza went to one of the worst teams in the league because they offered him the most money and he only got 2 million more than Reddick (and again ariza can play defense)? Meanwhile other guys are taking discounts to play on good teams but the 76ers pay top dollar after overpaying him by 10 million last year?
Age doesn't matter on 1 year deals.  KCP isn't a hot commodity.  Detroit let him go and no one would give him a good multiyear deal.  He shot 38% from 3 last season but is 34.5% for his career.   He's an average defender at best.  Redick shot 42% from 3 last season and is 41.5% for his career.  The Rockets offered him a 3yr/36M deal last season so of course the Sixers had to overpay on a 1 year contract to get him.  Paying Redick 12 to 13M this season is not an overpay. 

I'm not sure what other guys taking discounts to play on good teams you are referring to.  I don't recall any so far this year and very few in general.  A player with a good multi-year offer doesn't turn that down to take a discount to play on a good team.

So now that there are actually some comparison points I would rather have cousins for 5.7 million, injury or not. I would rather have tolliver at 6 million than jj at 12 (tolliver shot 43% last year from 3). I would rather have Randle at 9 million. If Seth curry is actually healthy I would rather roll the dice on a guys like him and add an Evans or Howard depending on what your team needed (Gerald green also signed for 3 million). You can do all the mental gymnastics you want but there are absolutely going to be some good bargains this summer and a 35 year old redick that was mercilessly targeted on defense is not great value at 12 million a year even for one year.

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2018, 02:02:03 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If it keeps him away from the Lakers I'm fine with it. Kinda surprised he wasn't able to leverage it into a multi-year deal with Philly losing multiple shooters already but there's not much FA money out there.

wow that is awful
You're takes are really off.  No one said Redick was going to sign cheap unless it was to accommodate signing Lebron.  1 year 13M for Redick is not bad at all.  He's a great fit for the Sixers and arguably had his best season with them.  By going with larger 1 year deals, they are maintaining their max cap space for next off season.  If Redick had signed somewhere else, you would have been proclaiming it to be a huge blow to the Sixers.

I would say you takes are really off regarding Philly and multiple posters have called you out on it. I don't think this is some horrible deal. It is probably about 4 million more than I thought he would get (and many 76ers fans agree). I do think the no trade part is awful cause things are very fluid in the NBA and having a guy like him you can't trade could be problematic. I also didn't think it was some huge loss they lost belli and illy, but they were nice regular season bench players that seemed to have good chemistry.
Ariza got 1yr/15M.  KCP got 1yr/12-13M.   Last season the Rockets offered Redick 3yr/36M.  The no trade part doesn't matter.  The Sixers aren't going to trade him.  After this season, they'll have Early Bird rights for Redick.

I feel like you are kind of making my point for me. Pope is literally 10 years younger than Reddick, plays defense and shot 38% from 3 last year. The fact that he got the same amount of money as Reddick doesn't seem like a much better deal for pope? Ariza went to one of the worst teams in the league because they offered him the most money and he only got 2 million more than Reddick (and again ariza can play defense)? Meanwhile other guys are taking discounts to play on good teams but the 76ers pay top dollar after overpaying him by 10 million last year?
Age doesn't matter on 1 year deals.  KCP isn't a hot commodity.  Detroit let him go and no one would give him a good multiyear deal.  He shot 38% from 3 last season but is 34.5% for his career.   He's an average defender at best.  Redick shot 42% from 3 last season and is 41.5% for his career.  The Rockets offered him a 3yr/36M deal last season so of course the Sixers had to overpay on a 1 year contract to get him.  Paying Redick 12 to 13M this season is not an overpay. 

I'm not sure what other guys taking discounts to play on good teams you are referring to.  I don't recall any so far this year and very few in general.  A player with a good multi-year offer doesn't turn that down to take a discount to play on a good team.

So now that there are actually some comparison points I would rather have cousins for 5.7 million, injury or not. I would rather have tolliver at 6 million than jj at 12 (tolliver shot 43% last year from 3). I would rather have Randle at 9 million. If Seth curry is actually healthy I would rather roll the dice on a guys like him and add an Evans or Howard depending on what your team needed (Gerald green also signed for 3 million). You can do all the mental gymnastics you want but there are absolutely going to be some good bargains this summer and a 35 year old redick that was mercilessly targeted on defense is not great value at 12 million a year even for one year.
First the Sixers still have 14M in cap space after the Redick signing.  They are actually tight on roster spots.  Trying to penny pinch Redick when they didn't need to would have been extremely foolish.  Next season I expect they'll sign him to a cheaper multi-year deal. 

Ariza and KCP were already good comparisons.  Randle, Cousins and Howard are silly comparisons.  They'd all be very lousy fits on the Sixers.  Also, Randle's contract is 2 years/18M so he'd eat into their cap space next season.  Cousins probably won't come back until February at the earliest.  You couldn't pay me enough to take Howard.  Tolliver only scored double digits once and that was his second season.  Unlike Redick, neither Tolliver or Green are starter caliber players.  For the Sixers, I'll take Redick over anyone you named.  Tolliver would have been a nice replacement for Belinelli although I prefer Ellington. 

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2018, 02:14:16 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

wow that is awful

None of this means that signing Redick at a 1 year/13 mill deal is bad. He helped them last year and he will most likely do the same this season.
Tazzmaniac has made some really solid points btw.

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2018, 09:06:22 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Looks like a Kyle Korver return to the Sixers is becoming more likely.

Now that'd be a solid bench pickup for them despite him being 106.
I'm really skeptical that you should employ both Reddick/Korver on any team.

Especially as I'm sure the Cavs are going to demand a low first rounder for him like they paid....

Oh if it takes a 1st haha no that's not worth it for them.

I agree that he's not a guy you can play alongside Redick much, especially in the playoffs. But he'd allow them to have an elite shooter on the floor for essentially the entire game. And I also think I disproportionately value crunchtime single-play lineups with multiple knockdown shooting threats. That's where I'd see Korver's main value for them. An effective guy in a narrow range of important situations more than a guy who's expected to contribute broadly.
Yeah that was my thinking.  Something like Korkmaz or Luwawu-Cabarrot for Korver (with the excess salary being absorbed into cap space).  Gives the Cavs a young player and cuts their salary.  Also does Korver a solid of getting him back on a contender.
Why would the Sixers trade for someone who is redundant with but worse than Redick?  Korver has 2 years left on his contract and it looks like at least 3 or 4M is guaranteed in the last year so that is going to cut into their max cap space next off season.  The Sixers should stick to using their 14M on 1 year deals for free agents.  Maybe Bradley, Ellington or even IT.
The Sixers needs shooters, especially on their bench, and Korver is one of the best shooters in NBA history.  They could also use another veteran presence with significant playoff experience.  Thus, he isn't redundant at all.  His buy out is pretty small and as such they could easily move him next summer if they need the cap space (a 2nd round pick and 3 million for some team to buy him out isn't difficult at all to find). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2018, 09:26:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think they needed him and they struck out in free agency on a star thus far.   Their bench is weaker w/o ' Ersan Ilyasova and Marco Belinelli , I think.

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2018, 10:05:10 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Especially as I'm sure the Cavs are going to demand a low first rounder for him like they paid....

I agree that he's not a guy you can play alongside Redick much, especially in the playoffs. But he'd allow them to have an elite shooter on the floor for essentially the entire game. And I also think I disproportionately value crunchtime single-play lineups with multiple knockdown shooting threats. That's where I'd see Korver's main value for them. An effective guy in a narrow range of important situations more than a guy who's expected to contribute broadly.
Yeah that was my thinking.  Something like Korkmaz or Luwawu-Cabarrot for Korver (with the excess salary being absorbed into cap space).  Gives the Cavs a young player and cuts their salary.  Also does Korver a solid of getting him back on a contender.
Why would the Sixers trade for someone who is redundant with but worse than Redick?  Korver has 2 years left on his contract and it looks like at least 3 or 4M is guaranteed in the last year so that is going to cut into their max cap space next off season.  The Sixers should stick to using their 14M on 1 year deals for free agents.  Maybe Bradley, Ellington or even IT.
The Sixers needs shooters, especially on their bench, and Korver is one of the best shooters in NBA history.  They could also use another veteran presence with significant playoff experience.  Thus, he isn't redundant at all.  His buy out is pretty small and as such they could easily move him next summer if they need the cap space (a 2nd round pick and 3 million for some team to buy him out isn't difficult at all to find).
Redick and Korver aren't playable together and Redick is much better.  I wasn't sure how much of Korver's 2nd year was guaranteed.  3M isn't too bad.  I might do it as a last resort.   However I think there are better options like Ellington still available. 

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2018, 10:13:29 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Redick and Korver aren't playable together and Redick is much better.  I wasn't sure how much of Korver's 2nd year was guaranteed.  3M isn't too bad.  I might do it as a last resort.   However I think there are better options like Ellington still available.
They don't need to be playable together (except end of game scenarios where they need shooters).  Korver can't effectively play more than 15 mpg for any period of time any way.  He is clearly a shooter off the bench at this point in his career, but that is exactly what the Sixers need on their bench.  So you can just put him in when Redick isn't out there. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2018, 10:28:11 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

wow that is awful

None of this means that signing Redick at a 1 year/13 mill deal is bad. He helped them last year and he will most likely do the same this season.
Tazzmaniac has made some really solid points btw.
One important point is how much the Sixers use Redick offensively.  His movement is a very important part of their offense.  He's their Ray Allen.  A limited catch and shoot 3pt shooter is much less valuable to them.  Belinelli was a good trade deadline pickup since he could run the same plays as Redick.  Unfortunately Belinelli's defense is horrendous which made him and Redick unplayable together. 

At this point, I think Ellington is the obvious target for the Sixers.  I'd offer him as much of their remaining 14M on a 1 year deal as it took to get him and then I'd use the room exception to get a good backup big (e.g. O'Quinn)

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2018, 10:34:43 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

They don't need to be playable together (except end of game scenarios where they need shooters).  Korver can't effectively play more than 15 mpg for any period of time any way.  He is clearly a shooter off the bench at this point in his career, but that is exactly what the Sixers need on their bench.  So you can just put him in when Redick isn't out there.
The Sixers would benefit from a good shooter that can play with Redick at times.  They played Belinelli and Redick together occasionally because they needed the offense.  I'll say again Ellington on a 1 year deal is a preferred option over trading for Korver. 

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2018, 10:36:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I can see going after Korver closer to the deadline but to start the season I think I'd prefer shooters who could provide either different positions or give you some more ball handling ability given Fultz's question mark status.

I don't think Korver will fetch a first now, but Gilbert is now fully in GM mode so I am thinking he's going to be a PAIN to deal with now. He's on his quest to prove how smart he is at this without LBJ.

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2018, 10:37:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Sixers would benefit from a good shooter that can play with Redick at times.  They played Belinelli and Redick together occasionally because they needed the offense.  I'll say again Ellington on a 1 year deal is a preferred option over trading for Korver.
Yeah getting Ellington on a reasonable deal would be good. Just have to make sure you don't compromise future flexibility so need to work out the math on that.