Author Topic: 76ers resign JJ Reddick  (Read 4277 times)

Re: 76ers resign JJ Reddick
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 02:21:17 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Philadelphia now with a projected $14M in room after the JJ Redick $12-13M one-year contract. Redick can veto any trade because of the one-year bird restriction.

https://twitter.com/bobbymarks42/status/1013818341994135553?s=21

They’ve whiffed this summer lol

Yeah, but thing is running it back isn't such a bad thing when your best players are all likely to keep improving and you just added another lotto pick to the mix.

They still should be solidly behind us, though.  Also I'm really enjoying how all this "does Boston or Philly take the post-LeBron East?" debate is just implicitly dumping on the Raptors over and over again.

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 02:23:17 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If it keeps him away from the Lakers I'm fine with it. Kinda surprised he wasn't able to leverage it into a multi-year deal with Philly losing multiple shooters already but there's not much FA money out there.

He gets a no trade deal out of it being a 1-year deal.

wow that is awful
You're takes are really off.  No one said Redick was going to sign cheap unless it was to accommodate signing Lebron.  1 year 13M for Redick is not bad at all.  He's a great fit for the Sixers and arguably had his best season with them.  By going with larger 1 year deals, they are maintaining their max cap space for next off season.  If Redick had signed somewhere else, you would have been proclaiming it to be a huge blow to the Sixers.

I would say you takes are really off regarding Philly and multiple posters have called you out on it. I don't think this is some horrible deal. It is probably about 4 million more than I thought he would get (and many 76ers fans agree). I do think the no trade part is awful cause things are very fluid in the NBA and having a guy like him you can't trade could be problematic. I also didn't think it was some huge loss they lost belli and illy, but they were nice regular season bench players that seemed to have good chemistry.
Ariza got 1yr/15M.  KCP got 1yr/12-13M.   Last season the Rockets offered Redick 3yr/36M.  The no trade part doesn't matter.  The Sixers aren't going to trade him.  After this season, they'll have Early Bird rights for Redick.   

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 02:24:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Philadelphia now with a projected $14M in room after the JJ Redick $12-13M one-year contract. Redick can veto any trade because of the one-year bird restriction.

Yeah, but thing is running it back isn't such a bad thing when your best players are all likely to keep improving and you just added another lotto pick to the mix.

They still should be solidly behind us, though.  Also I'm really enjoying how all this "does Boston or Philly take the post-LeBron East?" debate is just implicitly dumping on the Raptors over and over again.

I think the belief is that the Raptors were going to blow it up. However, now that Lebron actually left I have to wonder if they will think they can make the finals and be tempted to keep it together.

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 02:30:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
If it keeps him away from the Lakers I'm fine with it. Kinda surprised he wasn't able to leverage it into a multi-year deal with Philly losing multiple shooters already but there's not much FA money out there.

wow that is awful
You're takes are really off.  No one said Redick was going to sign cheap unless it was to accommodate signing Lebron.  1 year 13M for Redick is not bad at all.  He's a great fit for the Sixers and arguably had his best season with them.  By going with larger 1 year deals, they are maintaining their max cap space for next off season.  If Redick had signed somewhere else, you would have been proclaiming it to be a huge blow to the Sixers.

I would say you takes are really off regarding Philly and multiple posters have called you out on it. I don't think this is some horrible deal. It is probably about 4 million more than I thought he would get (and many 76ers fans agree). I do think the no trade part is awful cause things are very fluid in the NBA and having a guy like him you can't trade could be problematic. I also didn't think it was some huge loss they lost belli and illy, but they were nice regular season bench players that seemed to have good chemistry.
Ariza got 1yr/15M.  KCP got 1yr/12-13M.   Last season the Rockets offered Redick 3yr/36M.  The no trade part doesn't matter.  The Sixers aren't going to trade him.  After this season, they'll have Early Bird rights for Redick.

I feel like you are kind of making my point for me. Pope is literally 10 years younger than Reddick, plays defense and shot 38% from 3 last year. The fact that he got the same amount of money as Reddick doesn't seem like a much better deal for pope? Ariza went to one of the worst teams in the league because they offered him the most money and he only got 2 million more than Reddick (and again ariza can play defense)? Meanwhile other guys are taking discounts to play on good teams but the 76ers pay top dollar after overpaying him by 10 million last year?

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 02:36:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

I think the belief is that the Raptors were going to blow it up. However, now that Lebron actually left I have to wonder if they will think they can make the finals and be tempted to keep it together.

I think they're open to blowing it up but they're not going to get decent enough offers for enough guys to do that, and aren't going to want to do it halfway so they'll wind up talking themselves into basically running it back with a new coach.

They'll win 55 games and get a high seed again and people will be like "is this their year???" but we'll all secretly know they're gonna get absolutely punked by like the Pacers.

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 02:36:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Looks like a Kyle Korver return to the Sixers is becoming more likely. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 02:39:30 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
76ers can roll forward cap space till Saric/Simmons need new deals. Just a waiting game till they can land a difference maker using it. Reddick getting 36 million over two years is pretty darn good money for him.

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 02:40:43 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Now that'd be a solid bench pickup for them despite him being 106.

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 02:44:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I'm really skeptical that you should employ both Reddick/Korver on any team.

Especially as I'm sure the Cavs are going to demand a low first rounder for him like they paid....

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I like the idea of him being on their team, but I am just now sure how much he has left (38 next year). He scored 6 points the entire finals and hit one 3 pointer. We will absolutely abuse him with our wings if they play him against us. I think Illy was a bit more versatile than Korver would be.

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 02:54:30 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

If this is it, more like a letdown after the optimism about Kawhi/LBJ/PG. They also traded #10 for #16 and a future 1st in the draft. C's fans wouldn't have been as optimistic if they had whiffed on Al Horford and GH in 2016 and 2017.

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 02:55:17 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
^^^^^^^
forgot about the tradedown, thanks. It's still a good status quo even if their fans didn't get their fireworks (imagine that  ;))

Especially as I'm sure the Cavs are going to demand a low first rounder for him like they paid....

Oh if it takes a 1st haha no that's not worth it for them.

I agree that he's not a guy you can play alongside Redick much, especially in the playoffs. But he'd allow them to have an elite shooter on the floor for essentially the entire game. And I also think I disproportionately value crunchtime single-play lineups with multiple knockdown shooting threats. That's where I'd see Korver's main value for them. An effective guy in a narrow range of important situations more than a guy who's expected to contribute broadly.

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 02:58:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I agree that he's not a guy you can play alongside Redick much, especially in the playoffs. But he'd allow them to have an elite shooter on the floor for essentially the entire game. And I also think I disproportionately value crunchtime single-play lineups with multiple knockdown shooting threats. That's where I'd see Korver's main value for them. An effective guy in a narrow range of important situations more than a guy who's expected to contribute broadly.
Yeah that was my thinking.  Something like Korkmaz or Luwawu-Cabarrot for Korver (with the excess salary being absorbed into cap space).  Gives the Cavs a young player and cuts their salary.  Also does Korver a solid of getting him back on a contender. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2018, 05:45:30 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

wow that is awful

I feel like you are kind of making my point for me. Pope is literally 10 years younger than Reddick, plays defense and shot 38% from 3 last year. The fact that he got the same amount of money as Reddick doesn't seem like a much better deal for pope? Ariza went to one of the worst teams in the league because they offered him the most money and he only got 2 million more than Reddick (and again ariza can play defense)? Meanwhile other guys are taking discounts to play on good teams but the 76ers pay top dollar after overpaying him by 10 million last year?
Age doesn't matter on 1 year deals.  KCP isn't a hot commodity.  Detroit let him go and no one would give him a good multiyear deal.  He shot 38% from 3 last season but is 34.5% for his career.   He's an average defender at best.  Redick shot 42% from 3 last season and is 41.5% for his career.  The Rockets offered him a 3yr/36M deal last season so of course the Sixers had to overpay on a 1 year contract to get him.  Paying Redick 12 to 13M this season is not an overpay. 

I'm not sure what other guys taking discounts to play on good teams you are referring to.  I don't recall any so far this year and very few in general.  A player with a good multi-year offer doesn't turn that down to take a discount to play on a good team. 

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2018, 06:06:47 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Yeah that was my thinking.  Something like Korkmaz or Luwawu-Cabarrot for Korver (with the excess salary being absorbed into cap space).  Gives the Cavs a young player and cuts their salary.  Also does Korver a solid of getting him back on a contender.
Why would the Sixers trade for someone who is redundant with but worse than Redick?  Korver has 2 years left on his contract and it looks like at least 3 or 4M is guaranteed in the last year so that is going to cut into their max cap space next off season.  The Sixers should stick to using their 14M on 1 year deals for free agents.  Maybe Bradley, Ellington or even IT.