Author Topic: 76ers resign JJ Reddick  (Read 4313 times)

76ers resign JJ Reddick
« on: July 02, 2018, 01:13:49 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
1 year 13 million. This is a far cry from those saying he would sign for very cheap with them.
It is not as crazy an overpay as last year, but a 35 year old one way player that is a pretty steep price.

https://www.libertyballers.com/2018/7/2/17526750/redick-returning-to-sixers

Re: 76ers resign JJ Reddick
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 01:15:20 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If it keeps him away from the Lakers I'm fine with it. Kinda surprised he wasn't able to leverage it into a multi-year deal with Philly losing multiple shooters already but there's not much FA money out there.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 01:19:36 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
If it keeps him away from the Lakers I'm fine with it. Kinda surprised he wasn't able to leverage it into a multi-year deal with Philly losing multiple shooters already but there's not much FA money out there.

It sounds like this actually makes the Lakers more likely to get Tyreke Evans who is better than Reddick. Evans would be a dark horse all-star candidate to me if he plays alongside Lebron and stays healthy.

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 01:19:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

He gets a no trade deal out of it being a 1-year deal.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Philadelphia now with a projected $14M in room after the JJ Redick $12-13M one-year contract. Redick can veto any trade because of the one-year bird restriction.

https://twitter.com/bobbymarks42/status/1013818341994135553?s=21

They’ve whiffed this summer lol

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 01:24:59 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

wow that is awful

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Redick's a one-trick pony, but the Sixers have already lost two 3-point shooters and Covington may well be packaged in a trade for KL. Sixers may buy another one with the rest of their free cap.

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 01:37:02 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

wow that is awful
Kind of a moot point. The one year deal reflects his age more than anything else and those are the rules. Redick wants to be in the Northeast by any numbers of accounts I've heard/read and teams don't trade long-term vets like him to places they don't want to go anyhow.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 01:41:57 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Yeah, giving Lebron a shooter would be bad. But leaving him on the Sixers, I don't worry about. The Celtics took him out of the series this past year and he'll be a year older.

Good for him, keep getting that money.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 01:43:08 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

wow that is awful
You're takes are really off.  No one said Redick was going to sign cheap unless it was to accommodate signing Lebron.  1 year 13M for Redick is not bad at all.  He's a great fit for the Sixers and arguably had his best season with them.  By going with larger 1 year deals, they are maintaining their max cap space for next off season.  If Redick had signed somewhere else, you would have been proclaiming it to be a huge blow to the Sixers. 

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 01:57:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
It's actually not that bad for PHI. Honestly pretty good.

Reddick was their 3rd best player last year and probably their best "pure shooter".

Plus they still got 14M in cap room to go after a Tyreke Evans and/or Avery Bradley  :o

That said, this was best case scenario for us. PHI likely doesn't add a max-caliber star and probably won't as they won't have max cap available next year and beyond I believe (since some current contracts will get salary raises too), and they've already lost Belinelli and Illyasova (2 of their better perimeter threats/shooters). Belinelli especially was annoying against us lol.

Hopefully we bring Smart back soon! He could help us a ton again on the likes of Reddick, etc. next year.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 02:04:06 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Reddick was their 3rd best player last year and probably their best "pure shooter".

Plus they still got 14M in cap room to go after a Tyreke Evans and/or Avery Bradley  :o

That said, this was best case scenario for us. PHI likely doesn't add a max-caliber star and probably won't as they won't have max cap available next year and beyond I believe (since some current contracts will get salary raises too), and they've already lost Belinelli and Illyasova (2 of their better perimeter threats/shooters). Belinelli especially was annoying against us lol.

Hopefully we bring Smart back soon! He could help us a ton again on the likes of Reddick, etc. next year.
The Sixers will have Max cap space next offseason unless they make a stupid multi-year signing with their remaining 14M.  They only have 2 contracts on the books above 10M for next season (Embiid 27M and Covington 11M). 

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 02:13:41 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

wow that is awful
You're takes are really off.  No one said Redick was going to sign cheap unless it was to accommodate signing Lebron.  1 year 13M for Redick is not bad at all.  He's a great fit for the Sixers and arguably had his best season with them.  By going with larger 1 year deals, they are maintaining their max cap space for next off season.  If Redick had signed somewhere else, you would have been proclaiming it to be a huge blow to the Sixers.

I would say you takes are really off regarding Philly and multiple posters have called you out on it. I don't think this is some horrible deal. It is probably about 4 million more than I thought he would get (and many 76ers fans agree). I do think the no trade part is awful cause things are very fluid in the NBA and having a guy like him you can't trade could be problematic. I also didn't think it was some huge loss they lost belli and illy, but they were nice regular season bench players that seemed to have good chemistry.

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I thought he might go to LA..probably dont want to get blame when lebron make a mistake
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 02:21:03 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Agreed. This is good news for us. The best they will do is add a good player (but not a great one) whilst already losing Belinelli and Ilyasova. Even if Fultz turns it around, they haven’t done enough to be a viable threat.

If they chase Kawhi, they are giving up major assets to do it.
CELTICS 2024