Author Topic: Non-Tax Player MLE ($8,641,000)  (Read 3967 times)

Non-Tax Player MLE ($8,641,000)
« on: July 01, 2018, 12:37:50 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Could we target Avery Bradley? I realize he is talking with LAC about resigning today I believe. But he would be a great addition and fill our wing need.

Re: Non-Tax Player MLE ($8,641,000)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 12:41:14 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Could we target Avery Bradley? I realize he is talking with LAC about resigning today I believe. But he would be a great addition and fill our wing need.

Where will the minutes come?

Although his defense is great, part of the reason we traded him away is that he's small and isn't able to switch on to many different players. Basically he can cover 1's and 2's, but can't switch onto a frontline player, like a Smart or Brown can.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 12:42:49 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Based on the report of Baynes signing a 2-year deal for $11 million, we have used up around $5.3 million of the MLE to retain him (instead of using non-Bird rights), so no, this is not possible.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 12:50:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Based on the report of Baynes signing a 2-year deal for $11 million, we have used up around $5.3 million of the MLE to retain him (instead of using non-Bird rights), so no, this is not possible.

That easily could be a rounding error, though. I find it very unlikely we used the entirety of the non-Taxpayer MLE on Baynes, when we could have signed him with non-Bird rights for very slightly less.

Brian Robb says that’s the case: https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2018/07/01/celtics-agree-terms-aron-baynes-two-year-deal/
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 12:55:47 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 12:55:46 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown

That easily could be a rounding error, though. I find it very unlikely we used the entirety of the non-Taxpayer MLE on Baynes, when we could have signed him with non-Bird rights for very slightly less.

Yeah I assumed they rounded up. I would find it hard to believe DA did this with the uncertainty facing Smart and the opportunity to sign another MLE target should Smart play on QO next year.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 12:59:07 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

That's not correct according to Keith Smith

League sources indicate that Baynes is re-signing with Boston using his Non-Bird Rights. That means the new contract for Baynes will actually look like this:

Year 1: $5,193,600.00 (fully guaranteed)
Year 2: $5,453,280.00 (player option)
Total: two years, $10,646,880.00
You can see where the rounding to $11 million comes from.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 01:04:18 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

We have a wing need?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 01:05:12 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown

Although his defense is great, part of the reason we traded him away is that he's small and isn't able to switch on to many different players. Basically he can cover 1's and 2's, but can't switch onto a frontline player, like a Smart or Brown can.

We're looking for championship pieces. And AB could be seeking a ring before getting his last larger contract. A 1 year deal on a team where there is mutual familiarity could be a good solution for this. I could see him getting 25 MPG early in the season while Hayward gets comfortable and then his minutes dip down to 15-20 at full strength.

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 01:06:51 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

That's not correct according to Keith Smith

League sources indicate that Baynes is re-signing with Boston using his Non-Bird Rights. That means the new contract for Baynes will actually look like this:

Total: two years, $10,646,880.00
You can see where the rounding to $11 million comes from.

Okay, that’s an update from two years, $11 million then.  Because two years at the taxpayer MLE came out to over $10.9 million.  I’ve been airports all day and can’t keep track.

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 01:11:45 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

I thought reports might have been rounding up his re-signing contract and Keith Smith says they are:

"League sources indicate that Baynes is re-signing with Boston using his Non-Bird Rights. That means the new contract for Baynes will actually look like this:

Total: two years, $10,646,880.00"

https://www.celticsblog.com/2018/7/1/17522546/boston-celtics-salary-cap-luxury-tax-update-aron-baynes-marcus-smart-2018-nba-free-agency

IOW, the MLE is untouched and is available.

However, it's pretty unlikely we're doing this IF the Cs do everything they can to avoid paying the luxury tax this year and Smart stays (assuming he himself doesn't sign for the MLE). Doesn't make sense to just go over the luxury tax line because it starts the clock toward repeater tax status (3 of the last 4 years in the lux tax is the trigger) which is extremely punitive. We'll end up there eventually, but you don't want to go into luxury tax unless you have to and we don't have to.

If Smart leaves we can use the full MLE or a larger amount to attract a free agent.

EDIT: Sorry I'm late with this.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 01:13:52 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

We're looking for championship pieces. And AB could be seeking a ring before getting his last larger contract. A 1 year deal on a team where there is mutual familiarity could be a good solution for this. I could see him getting 25 MPG early in the season while Hayward gets comfortable and then his minutes dip down to 15-20 at full strength.

He could be, but I still don't think the minutes are there.

Starters-
Tatum
Hayward
Horford
Irving
Brown

For argument's sake, let's assume each starter gets 33 minutes. In fact, let's say they each get 30 minutes, that would leave 18 minutes each for Baynes, Morris, Rozier, Smart, and Bradley, with Theis completely out of the rotation. Do you think Morris, Smart, Rozier, and Bradley will be content with limited roles when all of them (except maybe Smart) will be on expiring contracts and playing for their next one?

Edit:

Now if the plan is to sell high on Rozier, while buying low on Bradley then I would be on board. We could get a solid pick, or packaging Rozier with Morris to upgrade at F spot, while at the same time signing Bradley to a multi-year deal.

Then you could have the same starters above with a bench rotation of:

Theis
? (whoever we can get for the Morris & Rozier package)
Baynes
Smart
Bradley
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 01:19:41 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 01:24:39 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown

Starters-
Tatum
Hayward
Horford
Irving
Brown

For argument's sake, let's assume each starter gets 33 minutes. In fact, let's say they each get 30 minutes, that would leave 18 minutes each for Baynes, Morris, Rozier, Smart, and Bradley, with Theis completely out of the rotation. Do you think Morris, Smart, Rozier, and Bradley will be content with limited roles when all of them (except maybe Smart) will be on expiring contracts and playing for their next one?

CBS could figure out rotations to keep team happy. In your scenario, Morris would see regular season minutes drop especially with Tatum moving to PF with Hayward's return. Theis is a rotation player on a team as deep as ours (12 mpg). Rozier saw his minutes increase only as a result of injury. I think it's very likely his minutes drop significantly next year.

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 01:32:48 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Starters-
Tatum
Hayward
Horford
Irving
Brown

CBS could figure out rotations to keep team happy. In your scenario, Morris would see regular season minutes drop especially with Tatum moving to PF with Hayward's return. Theis is a rotation player on a team as deep as ours (12 mpg). Rozier saw his minutes increase only as a result of injury. I think it's very likely his minutes drop significantly next year.

How exactly would CBS be able to figure out rotations to keep everyone happy? Especially since you have Theis at 12 mpg. That only creates more of a minutes crunch for others.

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 01:44:17 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Also, Rozier was at 24.2 MPG before the all-star break, which was before Irving was out. Also, Smart's MPG's over his 4 seasons has been - 27.0, 27.3, 30.4, and 29.9. So where do you there there minutes will be, but still keeping them happy?

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 01:58:13 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown

Starters-
Tatum
Hayward
Horford
Irving
Brown

How exactly would CBS be able to figure out rotations to keep everyone happy? Especially since you have Theis at 12 mpg. That only creates more of a minutes crunch for others.

Rozier's abnormally high 37mpg will be adjusted. Smart might even be high @ 30mpg.

Horford's 36mpg will be reduced as he ages to keep his legs fresh for playoffs.

Morris minutes will be dropped from 30mpg to 22ish.

We gain back Larkin's 14mpg.

We gain Monroe's 9mpg to be applied to Williams III if he earns them or to go to Theis.

Heck, even the young guy (Tatum) might want to regulate closer to 33-34 mpg where he played 36.