Author Topic: Lebron to 76ers: worst case scenario?  (Read 5449 times)

Re: Lebron to 76ers: worst case scenario?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2018, 02:25:38 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2783971-report-76ers-fultz-embiid-simmons-off-limits-in-kawhi-leonard-trade-talks

But, yeah, don’t think we need to worry about Kawhi being traded to Philly, though, as they seem unwilling to put any of Embiid, Simmons, or Fultz in the package, which won’t get you Kawhi.

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2018, 02:27:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I wonder what moving Bayless will cost.  It seems that moving him is assumed to be fait accompli, and ultimately I’m sure he isn’t a real impediment, but there are like five teams that can take him on at this point, and I can’t see Indiana or the Lakers helping out, leaving Atlanta, Chicago, and Sacramento.  With so few potential helpers, and presumably a large demand for cap space both now and at the deadline as teams look to reduce their luxury tax bill (hi OKC!), finding someone to take Bayless could produce a little more drama than expected.

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2018, 02:28:45 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
If we counter-balance Lebron signing in Philly with a Kawhi trade, we'd still be the favorites, I think.

If Lebron signs in PHI and Kawhi is traded there, that's a worst case scenario.

Even if Lebron goes to Cleveland on his own and Kawhi stays in SA or gets traded to LA, what makes you think we’re still not the favorites? We beat them in 5 before, and I don’t think adding a questionable fit for the team in Lebron would make up for us also adding Kyrie and Hayward and the internal improvements of Brown, Tatum, etc.

I think you underrate Lebron.

You may be underrating Hayward AND Kyrie.

It could be, but the Celtics haven't beat Lebron in close to a decade, so I'd prefer to maximize my chances.

They were a quarter away from beating LeBron with kyrie and Hayward. Their chances are strong.

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2018, 02:29:43 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
If Philly would get James, I would try to get Leonard.

my guess is James would tell them yes i'll come if you get KL by "this date" so we wouldnt have a chance to....either that or his pressuring lakers to get KL

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2018, 02:31:48 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
How do you play Simmons and James together? Both are ball dominating and Simmons does nothing to space the floor

So were James and Wade.

Not really. Wade at least had an iso game and could hit the midrange jumper, which Simmons cannot yet do.

That’s a highly questionable fit among those four given Simmons’ limitations and the playing style of the other three. And it’s not even a situation like GS, as Green isn’t a scorer and Klay is almost purely a catch and shoot guy coming off of screens. Simmons is pretty much Lebron James lite (playing style - not talent) with even less shooting ability, and both Kawhi and Embiid both play largely with the ball in their hands.

Kawhi is likely the best to be situated off the ball, but is he really going to be happy with fewer touches and looks so that much younger (and not as good) players get touches?

Go back to 2010 threads, Wade and LeBron being too ball dominant and unable to shoot front outside enough to play together was a pervasive thought on this board. Claiming otherwise now is a straight up revision of history.

I think with that potential lineup in Philly, talent and BBIQ will win. Smart, talented guys will find a way to make the pieces fit. When superteams fail, it's usually because there's one bonehead in the mix (Dwight, LAL).
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2018, 02:35:46 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
How do you play Simmons and James together? Both are ball dominating and Simmons does nothing to space the floor

So were James and Wade.

Not really. Wade at least had an iso game and could hit the midrange jumper, which Simmons cannot yet do.

That’s a highly questionable fit among those four given Simmons’ limitations and the playing style of the other three. And it’s not even a situation like GS, as Green isn’t a scorer and Klay is almost purely a catch and shoot guy coming off of screens. Simmons is pretty much Lebron James lite (playing style - not talent) with even less shooting ability, and both Kawhi and Embiid both play largely with the ball in their hands.

Kawhi is likely the best to be situated off the ball, but is he really going to be happy with fewer touches and looks so that much younger (and not as good) players get touches?

Go back to 2010 threads, Wade and LeBron being too ball dominant and unable to shoot front outside enough to play together was a pervasive thought on this board. Claiming otherwise now is a straight up revision of history.

I think with that potential lineup in Philly, talent and BBIQ will win. Smart, talented guys will find a way to make the pieces fit. When superteams fail, it's usually because there's one bonehead in the mix (Dwight, LAL).

I think the difference was that Wade was a limited but effective shooter while Simmons can’t and won’t shoot at all.

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2018, 02:41:52 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

So were James and Wade.

I think the difference was that Wade was a limited but effective shooter while Simmons can’t and won’t shoot at all.

But its not like Wade's shooting is what made that team work. Scheme in some off ball cutting and movement, bring in other shooters (Leonard is a pretty good 3point shooter and it it wouldn't shock me to see JJ reup with a big paycut. The money's drying up everywhere else).

I just think dooming that team based on fit is more of a wish than a real possibility.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2018, 02:44:31 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

So were James and Wade.

What does that have anything to do with anything? I wasn’t even around here in 2010 lol

I’m not talking about the perception of their fit on Celticsblog; I’m talking about their actual fit on the court. Wade was actually a threat from the midrange and in the iso game, whereas Simmons is not. Wade also quickly learned how to play more off the ball by utilizing off-ball cuts, which Simmons has not shown any capability of yet. Those are significant differences in the potential fit.

Simply don’t see how those four could optimally work in today’s NBA given that A) one is a complete non-shooter, B) two are average shooters at best, and C) the only good shooter is one who is unlikely to take such a minimized role off the balk, and that’s not even getting into the various character/personality concerns among those four.

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2018, 02:48:49 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

So were James and Wade.

But its not like Wade's shooting is what made that team work. Scheme in some off ball cutting and movement, bring in other shooters (Leonard is a pretty good 3point shooter and it it wouldn't shock me to see JJ reup with a big paycut. The money's drying up everywhere else).

I just think dooming that team based on fit is more of a wish than a real possibility.

But when it came down to it. Wade was willing to shoot while Simmons wasnt at all, all that cutting and movement will mean nothing against better teams who’ll dare poor shooters to shoot and with Simmons being a bad free throw shooter it will be even worse for him and the team. Besides how much of a pay cut is reddick willing to take? There’s always money for shooters and if there’s an offer that’ll trump the sixers he may take it.

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2018, 02:49:18 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!

So were James and Wade.

What does that have anything to do with anything? I wasn’t even around here in 2010 lol

I’m not talking about the perception of their fit on Celticsblog; I’m talking about their actual fit on the court. Wade was actually a threat from the midrange and in the iso game, whereas Simmons is not. Wade also quickly learned how to play more off the ball by utilizing off-ball cuts, which Simmons has not shown any capability of yet. Those are significant differences in the potential fit.

Simply don’t see how those four could optimally work in today’s NBA given that A) one is a complete non-shooter, B) two are average shooters at best, and C) the only good shooter is one who is unlikely to take such a minimized role off the balk, and that’s not even getting into the various character/personality concerns among those four.

As Roy says you underrate LeBron. What more does he have to show you?

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2018, 03:16:31 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

So were James and Wade.

As Roy says you underrate LeBron. What more does he have to show you?

Again, it’s not Lebron I’m doubting; it’s the other three. Don’t see how Simmons is functionally effective at all sharing the court with those three. Don’t see Kawhi being happy getting significantly fewer touches and usage to keep the other more ball-dominant players involved, which really brings into question him resigning. And I think it’ll be hard to balance how much to let Embiid have the ball and get his, too.

Ultimately, Simmons is the real issue. His particular weaknesses throw a real wrench into that system, as he’s virtually useless and actively harmful to the offense when he doesn’t have the ball given his lack of spacing. I think Lebron, Kawhi, and Embiid could work well together, but adding the fourth piece, let alone that piece being about as terrible of a fit as possible, makes thing extremely difficult to fit and piece together.

Ultimately I see this as a moot point, though, because I don’t see Philly as a legitimate landing spot. I see LA upping the offer, landing Kawhi, and then landing Lebron, with Cleveland being the only other real option for him at this point.

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2018, 03:17:18 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I would like a clear path to the finals. I am tired of James.

But I am afraid it is going to be the Sixers

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2018, 03:34:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2783993-report-execs-think-lebron-james-has-chosen-lakers-indecision-is-all-theater

Would certainly be consistent with what the Lebron-rider Nick Wright has reported.

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2018, 03:39:08 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2783993-report-execs-think-lebron-james-has-chosen-lakers-indecision-is-all-theater

Would certainly be consistent with what the Lebron-rider Nick Wright has reported.

Certainly could see this being the case. Nick Wright seems to know a lot about Lebrick.

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2018, 03:43:43 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

Certainly could see this being the case. Nick Wright seems to know a lot about Lebrick.

le'queen said he would choose team based on family, hard to believe thats philly, also KL may have been told to act like he'd stay in philly to pressure lakers to up the anty