Author Topic: How many ways to use Robert Williams  (Read 2877 times)

How many ways to use Robert Williams
« on: June 30, 2018, 10:27:19 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
On designated plays taking advantage of his put back ability his offensive rebounding,his ability as lob target or as a decoy while being cognizant of his weak foul shooting.He could certainly add some wrinkles to Brads playbook with little time left.
As the defender on side out with last shot time on the clock that would certainly disrupt the inbounds pass .

Re: How many ways to use Robert Williams
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 10:35:38 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Hopefully his shot is better and he can be used like Theis was. Theis had a number of lob plays. And moved around a lot. His three wasn't great but he still made a fair share for a big.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 11:32:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think his main use will be as a disruptor on defense.  He can rebound and get putbacks.  Any offense is gravy.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 03:19:17 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I think his main use will be as a disruptor on defense.  He can rebound and get putbacks.  Any offense is gravy.

Would just add:

1) Running the floor. Looks like he changes ends quickly, and has good hands to catch a pass.

2) Roll man, à la Capela and DJordan. Looks like he has potential here, and it would greatly enhance his value, especially if he can find shooters.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 03:26:17 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I think his main Maine use will be as a disruptor on defense.  He can rebound and get putbacks.  Any offense is gravy.

FTFY :)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 03:27:27 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Would just add:

1) Running the floor. Looks like he changes ends quickly, and has good hands to catch a pass.

2) Roll man, à la Capela and DJordan. Looks like he has potential here, and it would greatly enhance his value, especially if he can find shooters.

Becoming a good roll man and cutter is going to be important for him. His main value is on defense, for sure, but it’s tough to stay on the floor if the other team’s big can just ignore him and stay close to the rim.

I’m seeing Kyrie running a pick and roll with him, with shooters outside the 3-point line spacing the floor. Could be very tough to defend.

Jump shot would be great too, but that’s probably farther away.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 03:50:40 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
His character is in question until proven otherwise.  We'll see...

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 04:02:11 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Why not give him the benefit of the doubt? 

He impressed me in his first PC as a thoughtful kid with supportive but tough parents, who stayed in school because they thought he wasn't mature enough. 

I'm sure he'll get some time in Maine, but hopefully also some occasional run with the big kids.  Looking forward to seeing him throw down.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 04:08:22 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Blocking shots and rebounding to start the fast break, a la Bill Russell.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 04:19:46 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

Well, Danny went to bat for Williams' character a bit in his introductory press conference. When questions about his motor came up, Ainge interjected that it was hard to win the defensive play of the year in a tough conference with a poor motor.

IF you peruse the Texas AM forums (some of the more avid fans who tend to be on campus and know the situations of the teams), they don't say a single bad thing about him.

In fact, they loved him. They say things like "It's hard to develop your game in a do-it-yourself program." In other words, they saw Williams working hard on his game, but they didn't think the coaching staff helped him along.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 04:24:48 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I think he'll hold down a seat on the bench occasionally for the Celts and play a bunch for the Maine Redclaws where they'll encourage him to shoot as much as he's able. 

Right now he's a great athlete with very little offense, and doesn't seem to know what's going on much of the time on the court.  His size didn't stand out even at the collegiate level so he'll have to make a tremendous jump in terms of learning the game to have an impact in the NBA. 

Bottom line, I think he's a  2-3 year project minimum.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 05:17:41 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
I think his main Maine use will be as a disruptor on defense.  He can rebound and get putbacks.  Any offense is gravy.

hee, hee. very cute and clever. so you get a cute and clever tp as a reward.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 05:25:27 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Hopefully he will be sent to Maine to play alot and develop his game..dont want him sitting end of bench every celtics game
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 05:51:58 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

hee, hee. very cute and clever. so you get a cute and clever tp as a reward.  ;D

Ditto ;D.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 06:03:37 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Why not give him the benefit of the doubt? 

He impressed me in his first PC as a thoughtful kid with supportive but tough parents, who stayed in school because they thought he wasn't mature enough. 

I'm sure he'll get some time in Maine, but hopefully also some occasional run with the big kids.  Looking forward to seeing him throw down.

Yeah that came across as an unnecessary slam on RW.  I don't get it. Why do people think they know about a person without knowing about a person..?