Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238040 times)

Re: Robert Williams(Merged Threads)
« Reply #1065 on: September 20, 2018, 07:06:28 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Talented bigs usually get drafted by lottery teams and then thrown out skinny or not man strong to challenge grown men with strength speed ,bulk and all the tricks and help from refs.
And get used to travelling and lifestyle and 82 games.Lots of AND's for rookies.
Getting drafted by Celtics with a collection of hard working young stars,some amazing vets and Brad is the opposite of what happens in Philly or Phoenix.
Now we have front row seats to watch a 20 yr old with gifts and tools  be taught the game from a winning culture unlike Okafor, Noel  or Bender and Chris.

A two time SEC defensive player of year with ability to play perimeter at elite level, with the ability to get 2.5 ft over the rim.At an already 240 lbs, this isn't some skinny pogo stick.
He missed summer league, so what with all the tape on him and in those few moments, he hit a mid range against the clock and drove for a baseline floater-nice touch again showed court awareness but rolled out and then a dunk.
In his tapes are glimpses of passing potential,his ability in transition and his defensive timing.
This is no Fab Melo,this is no Tyler Zeller.

So, he has a  young personal coach that played at Butler.
Jaylen had friends living with him including Bird and a lifelong friend.
Jaylen has his mom in the same building and suddenly pops up a new dad.
Marcus went cage rage on a mirror missing part of season
Morris missed pre season practice because he was in court.
And all Robert Williams did was leave his wallet in his room and after all the lights,probing question and multitude of strangers while being hustle here and there.So he left an empty hotel room to go visit friends or a girlfriend before practice for Las Vegas was starting.
He just didn't get back in time.
But that event galvanized the Celts to get him a personal coach a Butler player.. Helped get him into an apartment next to training facility and his coach will act as a driver to Maine or in treacherous Boston winters coupled with traffic.
I'm a Celtics fan and have waited a long time for a rookie rim protector with length and agility to come through Celtics draft system .

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 09:15:09 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #1066 on: September 20, 2018, 09:04:10 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I guess what I'm saying is that I'd be surprised if he was a better NBA player than Tyler Zeller

Poor comparison.

Its not a comparison.

« Reply #1067 on: September 20, 2018, 09:19:50 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I guess what I'm saying is that I'd be surprised if he was a better NBA player than Tyler Zeller

For someone who's name stems from the words positive, you're not that much of a positive poster.  :P

But that is a VERY VERY lazy comparison.... You can do better.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #1068 on: September 20, 2018, 09:20:48 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Talented bigs usually get drafted by lottery teams and then thrown out skinny or not man strong to challenge grown men with strength speed ,bulk and all the tricks and help from refs.
And get used to travelling lifestyle and 82 games.Lots of AND's.
Getting drafted by Celtics with a collection of hard working young stars,some amazing vets and Brad is the opposite of what happens in Philly or Phoenix.
Now we have front row seats to watch a 20 yr old with gifts and tools  be taught the game from a winning culture unlike Okafor, Noel  or Bender and Chris.

A two time SEC defensive player of year with ability to play perimeter at elite level, with the ability to get 2.5 ft over the rim.At an already 240 lbs, this isn't some skinny pogo stick.
He missed summer league, so what with all the tape on him and in those few moments, he hit a mid range against the clock and drove for a baseline floater-nice touch again showed court awareness but rolled out and then a dunk.
In his tapes are glimpses of passing potential,his ability in transition and his defensive timing.

And all Robert Williams did was leave his wallet in his room and after all the lights,probing question and multitude of strangers while being hustle here and there.So he left an empty hotel room to go visit friends or a girlfriend before practice for Las Vegas was starting.
But that event galvanized the Celts to get him a personal coach a Butler player.. Helped get him into an apartment next to training facility and his coach will act as a driver to Maine or in treacherous Boston winters coupled with traffic.
I'm a Celtics fan and have waited a long time for a rookie rim protector with length and agility to come through Celtics draft system .

TP - Great Post

This is the most excited I've been about a rim protector in Boston.  We have not had anyone that has this type of talent since??? I don't even know.  Don't get me wrong.  I love Theis and he is absolutely a rim protector but his ceiling is not as high as Williams.  Williams has the Defensive Ceiling of a Capela.  I believe his O will be better the Capela because Williams can hit 3's.  Now if he doesn't work hard, listen, and accept coaching he won't make it long in the league.  That goes for anyone.  There are plenty of talented big men that just don't develop because they don't care enough to put the time in.   This kid is immature and it seems more so then other's at the same age.  This is what people are attacking him for.  He needs to learn the professional side of basketball.  How to eat right, how to take care of your body, get your sleep, work your ass off.  Learn how to take care of the millions you are making.  If he can do that we will talking about how we got a steal a few years from now.  If not he may be the next James Young.  In 3 years he's lucky to get a camp invite.  I am excited for his potential but I know that comes with risks.

« Reply #1069 on: September 20, 2018, 09:31:39 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
And get used to travelling lifestyle and 82 games.Lots of AND's.

TP - Great Post

This is the most excited I've been about a rim protector in Boston.  We have not had anyone that has this type of talent since??? I don't even know.  Don't get me wrong.  I love Theis and he is absolutely a rim protector but his ceiling is not as high as Williams.  Williams has the Defensive Ceiling of a Capela.  I believe his O will be better the Capela because Williams can hit 3's.  Now if he doesn't work hard, listen, and accept coaching he won't make it long in the league.  That goes for anyone.  There are plenty of talented big men that just don't develop because they don't care enough to put the time in.   This kid is immature and it seems more so then other's at the same age.  This is what people are attacking him for.  He needs to learn the professional side of basketball.  How to eat right, how to take care of your body, get your sleep, work your ass off.  Learn how to take care of the millions you are making.  If he can do that we will talking about how we got a steal a few years from now.  If not he may be the next James Young.  In 3 years he's lucky to get a camp invite.  I am excited for his potential but I know that comes with risks.

Share your enthusiasm, but Williams does not hit 3's!!

« Reply #1070 on: September 20, 2018, 11:08:33 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
in two years of college ball, williams shot 6.7% from three point range. that is not a typo.  ;D

he made 2 out of 30 three point attempts.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1071 on: September 20, 2018, 11:17:08 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
in two years of college ball, williams shot 6.7% from three point range. that is not a typo.  ;D

It doesn't matter... He has long arms and jumps high.. Things like putting the ball in the basket or passing it are irrelevant

« Reply #1072 on: September 20, 2018, 11:47:50 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
2017-18 per 40 min
Steals 1.2
Blocks 4.1
points 17.3
rebounds 14.4
assts 2.2
fg% .632

« Reply #1073 on: September 20, 2018, 12:00:48 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858

Anthony Davis was 3-27 from 3 for his first 3 full seasons (199 games).  He did develop some 3pt shot after that (31% for his career).  Larry Sanders was 0-5 from 3 for his career.

I don't know how Williams will turn out but the least of my concerns is his ability to hit the 3.  If in his 4th season, he starts to develop a 30%'ish 3 point shot, like Davis, that will be great.  First let's see if he is even in the NBA for his 4th season.  Most 27th picks aren't I don't think.

« Reply #1074 on: September 20, 2018, 12:03:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The most important thing is that he is now fully healthy, no more tendinitis issue.

He has been cleared for full 5 on 5 play without restriction.

Will be fun to see what Brad has in store for him. 

I continue to believe that he will get more minutes than most here are predicting.  I was equally bullish on Theis before last season, and nearly everyone then said "who"? 

The tape don't lie.

« Reply #1075 on: September 20, 2018, 12:41:52 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
When you love playing defense and have his elite tools i don't get why posters are 3 ballin it.
Robert was a college kid that got misused under coached and that isn't going to happen here
I have always thought young players coming in tortured there bodies -like red lining it until something very bad happened..
So all this extra time working out to build strength and work on understanding both sides of ball is a bonus.Be interesting to get some takes from the scrimmaging.

« Reply #1076 on: September 20, 2018, 01:54:42 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

It doesn't matter... He has long arms and jumps high.. Things like putting the ball in the basket or passing it are irrelevant
this was in response to tonydelk's statement that williams can shoot the 3 pointer. i agree with you, but my point lay elsewhere.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1077 on: September 20, 2018, 02:28:14 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

I agree, it doesn't matter... a three isn't the only way to make a bucket. We want him to make the three, midrange at least, but he did put the ball in the basket. How was he around the rim, I don't have the stats but I think you would classify it as "putting the ball in the bucket."
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #1078 on: September 20, 2018, 02:31:23 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
2017-18 per 40 min
Steals 1.2
Blocks 4.1
points 17.3
rebounds 14.4
assts 2.2
fg% .632
ft% 47.1

Jordan Mickey's sophomore season stats per 40
Steals 1.1
Blocks 4.1
Points 17.7
Rebounds 11.4
Assists 1.5
FG% 50.4
FT% 64.6

You forgot to include Williams' FT % so I took the liberty of adding it for you.

« Reply #1079 on: September 20, 2018, 02:41:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think measurables for players are important but I think people put too much emphasis on them. The NBA history is littered with players with amazing measurables but just weren't good basketball players. The Celtics had a recent player that is a prime example of this in Jordan Mickey.

Height 6'8 1/2"
Weight: 238 lbs.
Wingspan: 7' 3 1/2"
Vertical Leap: 37 1/2"
Standing Reach: 8' 10"

He had excellent lateral speed. He was an elite shot blocker. He showed in college an ability to guard the perimeter. He had a good basketball IQ. He rebounded well. Going by all this his ceiling as a PF was high. He is a bad basketball player who's game doesn't translate well to the NBA.

Now I am not saying Williams will become Mickey or wash out of the NBA. I am very hopeful that Williams will be the next Capella. He definitely has that ceiling. More realistically I can see him becoming a good NBA starter in a few years, but we will see. He very well could become another in a long line of players chosen late in the 1st round or in the 2nd round that have elite measurables but doesn't become a good basketball players and have a short NBA career.

Measurables aren't everything.