Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238899 times)

Re: Robert Williams(Merged Threads)
« Reply #1050 on: September 18, 2018, 05:51:57 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Personal company is way more reliable than combine because their job literally depend on their reputation

« Reply #1051 on: September 19, 2018, 08:38:07 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Here is a question Robert Williams and Semi both have elite lateral.Williams has elite wingspan 
Both can guard perimeter. Semi doesn't have length but a elite base.
Isn't Williams the type the Celts need to combat Yanniss and Simmons? If Semi got time as a rookie, so can Williams as a defensive counter to certain matchups.
Both Semi and Yabusele looked lost as rookies maybe these last few months allow Williams to grasp defense quickly and to have worked on strength
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 09:15:25 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #1052 on: September 19, 2018, 09:33:45 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Here is a question Robert Williams and Semi both have elite lateral.Williams has elite wingspan 
Isn't Williams the type the Celts need to combat Yanniss and Simmons? If Semi got time as a rookie, so can Williams as a defensive counter to certain matchups.
Both Semi and Yabusele looked lost as rookies maybe these last few months allow Williams to grasp defense quickly and to have worked on strength

In terms of Semi Ojeleye, he is 3 years older than Williams (so 2 years different as rookies) and I think this makes a big difference in terms of rookie expectations.  Williams probably has more development required than Ojeleye.  Yabusele is also a young rookie and I think his play was representative of this.  I don't expect that we will see Williams playing as much as Semi did.  We were kind of forced to play Semi.  There is less pressure to play Williams.

I am with you Rollie, I am high on Williams based on the extremely small amount we have seen of him.  He is a great pick for #27.  If he ends up being Larry Sanders (on the court anyway), it will be a steal.  Even Larry Sanders level may be a stretch but I think that is a reasonable comp.

« Reply #1053 on: September 19, 2018, 09:44:11 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Our strategy is overall team defensive intensity and length and two way pressure. Until they evolve into more complete players, Semi and Robert Williams will provide spot relief. They won't be part of the primary effort. Our strength is that we are perhaps the only team in the NBA that doesn't start anyone with a serious hole in their game. Kyrie is probably the closest given his mediocre defense.

« Reply #1054 on: September 19, 2018, 10:26:43 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

I've been saying all along I believe that Williams will be making big contributions for the Celts come playoff time just like Semi did last year. I won't be shocked to see him covering Giannis, Embiid, etc.

As long as he's healthy I see absolutely no reason why his defensive abilities won't translate to the NBA, he certainly has the athleticism and size/length needed.

« Reply #1055 on: September 19, 2018, 11:14:20 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

I've been saying all along I believe that Williams will be making big contributions for the Celts come playoff time just like Semi did last year. I won't be shocked to see him covering Giannis, Embiid, etc.

As long as he's healthy I see absolutely no reason why his defensive abilities won't translate to the NBA, he certainly has the athleticism and size/length needed.

I would be willing to wager 10 TPs that you are wrong
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1056 on: September 19, 2018, 01:00:02 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel

I agree with Billy. Robert Williams is a late 1st round pick who played a whopping 7 minutes of summer league and missed his intro phone call, lost his wallet twice, and missed his flight.

He's got great measurables, but as of now, he's shown exactly 7 minutes of being a serviceable third-string center.

He's young. Hopefully he'll improve--but I think it's more likely than not that he's out of the league in 3 years; certainly more likely that he's not cut out for the NBA than him being the next big missing piece on the Celtics and Horford's replacement.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #1057 on: September 19, 2018, 01:06:11 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Puns of steel
I guess what I'm saying is that I'd be surprised if he was a better NBA player than Tyler Zeller
Pro:

Anti:

« Reply #1058 on: September 19, 2018, 01:17:09 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

Darn you want ALL of my TPs?! lol.

I guess I'm banking on his maturity level going up over the course of the season being around guys like Stevens, Horford, Hayward, Brown, Tatum etc. I'm not guaranteeing what I said, I'm just going with my gut. He has a special level of athleticism and I have no doubt that he can move at NBA speed and I do believe his defensive abilities will translate. A lot of question marks about his physical health and maturity I def agree though.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 01:25:31 PM by CF033 »

« Reply #1059 on: September 19, 2018, 01:30:59 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Not much faith in the Celtics culture and coaching.I keep reading he is a quick learner-
The fact that he is not out on the practice court doing meaningless stuff according to Baynes and working hard to strengthen himself and get his body right.And LEARN that is a common thread that he likes to learn.
The intangibles and agility,timing, flashing of court awareness and passing.
Unless that artery condition makes playing not fun -i respectfully disagree with your assessment. 

« Reply #1060 on: September 19, 2018, 01:43:13 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

I agree with Billy. Robert Williams is a late 1st round pick who played a whopping 7 minutes of summer league and missed his intro phone call, lost his wallet twice, and missed his flight.

He's got great measurables, but as of now, he's shown exactly 7 minutes of being a serviceable third-string center.

He's young. Hopefully he'll improve--but I think it's more likely than not that he's out of the league in 3 years; certainly more likely that he's not cut out for the NBA than him being the next big missing piece on the Celtics and Horford's replacement.

I would say your criticisms are more evidence of how little we know about him. We frankly haven't a clue how he will fit in the NBA either way. Lost wallets, etc are irrelevant and his SL sample is very small.

Wait and see is the right course..

« Reply #1061 on: September 19, 2018, 01:50:10 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Puns of steel

I would say your criticisms are more evidence of how little we know about him. We frankly haven't a clue how he will fit in the NBA either way. Lost wallets, etc are irrelevant and his SL sample is very small.

Wait and see is the right course..

Agreed. I'm not writing him off and I'd love it if he turned out to be amazing. He's a Celtic and I would love if he were the next Rudy Gobert/Clint Capella hybrid. I just cant justify that hope with what I've seen so far.

Wait and see is right, but if I'm grading on the body of work he's done in the NBA so far, he's not a NBA player.
Pro:

Anti:

« Reply #1062 on: September 19, 2018, 06:09:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Brad just announced that Williams good to go for training camp!!

Great news.

« Reply #1063 on: September 19, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I guess what I'm saying is that I'd be surprised if he was a better NBA player than Tyler Zeller

Poor comparison.

« Reply #1064 on: September 19, 2018, 06:54:39 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
This guy is gonna be a stud! So what, he missed a practice or two, big deal. The guy is what, 20, and from what most of his peers and coaches say he's actually a good person. His athleticism is something this team sorely needs and unless his health doesnt allow it I think he will be making a major impact and this season!