Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238034 times)

Re: Robert Williams(Merged Threads)
« Reply #930 on: August 13, 2018, 12:24:29 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
still believe anyone putting stock into this guy contributing in any way are setting themselves up for disappointment.

I think if we get anything from this guy this season it's a bonus, but going into this season with expectations is a mistake.

No one should be expecting anything out of any rookie for a contending team honestly. We got lucky and drafted a once-in-a-generation type rookie like Tatum and a stud in Brown, but anyone else should be expected to follow the general development path, probably not ready for major minutes until like late year 2-3. Remember Brown wasn't even that good his rookie year and is still patching up holes in his game.

The beauty of RW3's situation is there no pressure on him at all, so he can simply relax and focus on getting better in a positive, winning environment. Couldn't ask for a better situation..

Yeah. I don't see many people getting their hopes up too high. Which is the right thing. I think it's possible that his defense is good enough to let him see the floor in a mopup situation or as an injury replacement, but if he doesn't I'm not at all disappointed or giving up on him. We actually have pretty capable backups right now. The bigger decision comes at the start of next year, when Theis' contract is up. After a year of watching R Will the Cs should have a read on whether he's looks like a capable replacement or if they have to start looking elsewhere.

RW3 for DPOY 2019!
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #931 on: August 13, 2018, 12:49:13 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
still believe anyone putting stock into this guy contributing in any way are setting themselves up for disappointment.

I think if we get anything from this guy this season it's a bonus, but going into this season with expectations is a mistake.

No one should be expecting anything out of any rookie for a contending team honestly. We got lucky and drafted a once-in-a-generation type rookie like Tatum and a stud in Brown, but anyone else should be expected to follow the general development path, probably not ready for major minutes until like late year 2-3. Remember Brown wasn't even that good his rookie year and is still patching up holes in his game.

The beauty of RW3's situation is there no pressure on him at all, so he can simply relax and focus on getting better in a positive, winning environment. Couldn't ask for a better situation..

Yeah. I don't see many people getting their hopes up too high. Which is the right thing. I think it's possible that his defense is good enough to let him see the floor in a mopup situation or as an injury replacement, but if he doesn't I'm not at all disappointed or giving up on him. We actually have pretty capable backups right now. The bigger decision comes at the start of next year, when Theis' contract is up. After a year of watching R Will the Cs should have a read on whether he's looks like a capable replacement or if they have to start looking elsewhere.

RW3 for DPOY 2019!

What? Not MVP??? Why so sour on R Will?

« Reply #932 on: August 13, 2018, 01:11:34 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

No argument from me.  The only caveat is if the injury bug hits the front court.  In that case, I still wouldn't expect R-Will to be the answer.  I could easily see the C's go looking for a front court vet off the scrap heap, especially for an extended injury.

« Reply #933 on: August 14, 2018, 07:40:50 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
The rehab of Roberts knee has certainly stretched on and that is not necessarily a bad thing..It is the time he spends listening to our bigs so he is not lost defensively.Strengthening his body another key aspect.
Could this injury been a blessing, as he wasn't dunking up to the elbows or blocking shot at the box with all the WOW buzz.
I really hope outside his athleticism that he is a savant of sorts ,a natural at picking up team defense.With his reach and lateral and love of defense one can hope.

This is the fun part, player development. Last year, Jason picked up defense so quickly while Semi looked lost with everybody whizzing around.
Robert is one of the top athletes in the world and measured at P3 a 12.5ft vertical reach and a 12 ft reach from standing jump , that was just below Dwight Howards record by one inch.His running and lateral tested off the charts and shows why he can guard one thru five.

Marcus played as a rookie,Brown picked up defense quickly as a rookie but it starts with desire, then technique and timing with your teammates.Film work to know your opponents spots and moves-to me defense is an art.Move ,countermove ,channeling, switching ,boxing out and playing positionally for rebounds or to help weak side .Defense is no accident.
Back to my point this injury may have aided his early progression as to listening and learning
before he gets on the court in training camp.
He is the big unknown so that is fun

« Reply #934 on: August 14, 2018, 11:10:15 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I really have no expectations at this point.

But, knowing his athletic and defensive ability I won't be shocked if Brad Stevens is using him in stretches to defend against the likes of Giannis and Embiid come playoff time. I'm not expecting it, I just won't be shocked :).

« Reply #935 on: August 15, 2018, 02:29:58 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Robert Williams said he just got a place right next to the Celtics new practice facility. “Two-minute walk, said Williams who laughed and added, “Can’t be late!”

Robert Williams said the injured knee that kept him out of most of summer league is “feeling way way better.” He’s been in Boston rehabbing and expects to be full go before training camp arrives.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/1028661174655754246

New rookie photo shoot pics

« Reply #936 on: August 15, 2018, 11:11:37 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I know it may take 2-3 years but I have a good feeling about Williams. I love his measureables and athleticism and think the organization will develop him right. In year 4, I think people will be looking at the Cs getting Williams at 27 as a complete steal and will envy them the way people envy GS over Draymond or Houston over Capella or Denver over Gobert.

« Reply #937 on: August 15, 2018, 11:34:32 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I know it may take 2-3 years but I have a good feeling about Williams. I love his measureables and athleticism and think the organization will develop him right. In year 4, I think people will be looking at the Cs getting Williams at 27 as a complete steal and will envy them the way people envy GS over Draymond or Houston over Capella or Denver over Gobert.

I agree. At 27 to get this type of prospect will look like another Ainge heist in a couple years. If nothing else the kid has superhuman physical traits that will make him tough to get past inside. For reference he's a little longer than Giannis with another 4" in max vertical. He can nearly touch the top of the backboard.

Develop some touch on offense and further develop his passing and vision and he could be a real stud..

« Reply #938 on: August 16, 2018, 02:02:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Great article in Globe about how William's HS coach was scout for ATL Hawks, got Horford drafted. And often told Williams stories about Horford's approach to the game, and to emulate him.

Also said fans are gonna love this kid.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2018/08/16/for-celtics-rookie-robert-williams-horford-has-had-silent-impact-for-years/UOqpH4ZmBwq3ySjNwhG28K/story.html

« Reply #939 on: August 16, 2018, 04:36:47 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Great article in Globe about how William's HS coach was scout for ATL Hawks, got Horford drafted. And often told Williams stories about Horford's approach to the game, and to emulate him.

Also said fans are gonna love this kid.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2018/08/16/for-celtics-rookie-robert-williams-horford-has-had-silent-impact-for-years/UOqpH4ZmBwq3ySjNwhG28K/story.html

He was a big defender in college and I've heard him say he likes to play defense. Given his physical abilities, if that's true, then I anticipate liking him a lot. But we'll see just how much he likes defense in the NBA.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #940 on: August 16, 2018, 05:29:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
well, williams is wearing #44, so as long as williams is as fiesty as ainge, i will be very pleased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxMh7FSGM14

;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #941 on: August 16, 2018, 09:10:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
well, williams is wearing #44, so as long as williams is as fiesty as ainge, i will be very pleased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxMh7FSGM14

;D
If a kid as big and strong as Williams is as feisty as Ainge... watch out league (especially Draymond ;) )
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #942 on: August 17, 2018, 05:40:09 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I'm not sure if you meant "Utah over Gobert" or "Denver over Jokic", so I'm just mentally inserting both there
I'm bitter.

« Reply #943 on: August 17, 2018, 04:35:18 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Very Twlight Zone-what are the chances of a NBA scout that pushed the Hawks to Horford would wind up at Caddo High coaching Williams
Williams would fall to 27 and get Horford as a mentor

« Reply #944 on: August 18, 2018, 08:50:14 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Robert Williams III and Jabari Bird worked out this morning in Boston.

https://twitter.com/chrisgrenham/status/1030821439300091904

https://imgur.com/za2qAPe