Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238720 times)

Re: Robert Williams(Merged Threads)
« Reply #900 on: July 28, 2018, 04:47:30 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I think there will be a smorgasbord approach from limited time with Red Claws, some  spoon fed minutes and DNP's.
Our bench will out distance opponents .Williams potential on defense and the need to groom an eventual replacement for Al the ALL STAR make Robert a priority project.
Time management with Horford will be important this year in keeping him healthy and sharp.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 11:37:53 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #901 on: July 28, 2018, 10:19:05 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #902 on: July 28, 2018, 01:12:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Stevens:

"If you have 4 shooters on the floor, you can just throw the ball up to him."

Psyched.

Also am hoping that in a year or two, he will be our kryptonite for defending Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard. 

They go long, you go longer.

« Reply #903 on: July 28, 2018, 02:11:09 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Here's another dose of optimism - an article that argues Rob Will looks a *lot* like Clint Capela at the same age - physically and in terms of movement and production.  Capela was a little better as a rebounder and finisher, Williams a bit better at blocks and maybe more explosive.  They see signs of pretty good court vision and passing, though it's hard to be sure given the offense he was in. But the 20-year old version of each player is pretty close.

Now, Capela developed strongly from that start and is close to realizing his ceiling, and there's no guarantee that Williams will do the same. But as a bet on the Celtics coaches and culture, this is low risk (27th pick), potential high reward (Capela or near Capela).

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/06/20/robert-williams-clint-capela-valuing-big-men/

All Williams needs to do is become a solid defender and roll man by his second or third year - something he clearly has the physical potential to do - and he'll fit in very, very nicely with this group.

« Reply #904 on: July 28, 2018, 07:09:54 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Stevens:

Psyched.

Also am hoping that in a year or two, he will be our kryptonite for defending Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard. 

He will be the key to brads switching scheme. Insane agility and quickness

« Reply #905 on: July 28, 2018, 07:32:05 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
The biggest question mark I have - and this is true of all bigs - is the consistency of his effort.  I have not watched him play besides Youtube highlights, so to those of you who have, how much does being involved in the offense influence his effort level?  Worst case scenario, is he like Dwight Howard, who gives poor effort on defense and in setting picks when he goes for long stretches without the ball on offense?

I'm hoping very early on that he understands what his role will be and that he accepts it.  Anchor the defense, run the floor, set solid screens, roll hard to the basket - in other words, commit to all the non-glorious parts of the game and do these tasks well regardless if he hasn't touched the ball on offense (aside from dribble handoffs) for long stretches.

I don't expect much from him in his rookie year but I still think he can help us.  I'm looking forward to the Smart & Williams pick and roll.  Smart is a solid lob passer.

« Reply #906 on: July 28, 2018, 09:04:15 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
The biggest question mark I have - and this is true of all bigs - is the consistency of his effort.  I have not watched him play besides Youtube highlights, so to those of you who have, how much does being involved in the offense influence his effort level?  Worst case scenario, is he like Dwight Howard, who gives poor effort on defense and in setting picks when he goes for long stretches without the ball on offense?

I'm hoping very early on that he understands what his role will be and that he accepts it.  Anchor the defense, run the floor, set solid screens, roll hard to the basket - in other words, commit to all the non-glorious parts of the game and do these tasks well regardless if he hasn't touched the ball on offense (aside from dribble handoffs) for long stretches.

I don't expect much from him in his rookie year but I still think he can help us.  I'm looking forward to the Smart & Williams pick and roll.  Smart is a solid lob passer.

Defense is his calling card. I think his motor will work out he needs structure and a winning environment. Capela had all the same questions coming in, well see how it pans out

« Reply #907 on: July 29, 2018, 01:13:28 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Here's another dose of optimism - an article that argues Rob Will looks a *lot* like Clint Capela at the same age - physically and in terms of movement and production.  Capela was a little better as a rebounder and finisher, Williams a bit better at blocks and maybe more explosive.  They see signs of pretty good court vision and passing, though it's hard to be sure given the offense he was in. But the 20-year old version of each player is pretty close.

Now, Capela developed strongly from that start and is close to realizing his ceiling, and there's no guarantee that Williams will do the same. But as a bet on the Celtics coaches and culture, this is low risk (27th pick), potential high reward (Capela or near Capela).

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/06/20/robert-williams-clint-capela-valuing-big-men/

All Williams needs to do is become a solid defender and roll man by his second or third year - something he clearly has the physical potential to do - and he'll fit in very, very nicely with this group.

The article featured from this post was one of the best breakdowns i have read in a long time-i gave it a TP yesterday and another TP this morning-thanks Sophomore

« Reply #908 on: July 29, 2018, 05:08:34 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
If we're going to compare him to Capela, let's at least keep in mind that Capela wasn't a starter until his 3rd season and wasn't a full time starter until his 4th and he didn't have the players in front of him that Williams does. So let's give him the time he'll likely need if he's going to become even a rotation player.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #909 on: July 29, 2018, 05:35:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If we're going to compare him to Capela, let's at least keep in mind that Capela wasn't a starter until his 3rd season and wasn't a full time starter until his 4th and he didn't have the players in front of him that Williams does. So let's give him the time he'll likely need if he's going to become even a rotation player.

Yes, this is what I’ve been trying to say.  Capela played all of 90 minutes on a team that gave 1150 minutes combined to Joey Dorsey and Tarik Black.  Williams would have to come out looking A LOT better than Capela as a rookie to get any kind of real playing time.

« Reply #910 on: July 29, 2018, 07:17:45 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Yes, this is what I’ve been trying to say.  Capela played all of 90 minutes on a team that gave 1150 minutes combined to Joey Dorsey and Tarik Black.  Williams would have to come out looking A LOT better than Capela as a rookie to get any kind of real playing time.

Yes; and the good news is that barring injuries (knocks wood) it should be a while before he’s expected to play significant minutes. It will be interesting to see how they try to develop him if he’s not making it onto the floor. I expect there will be a *lot* of drills for a while.

« Reply #911 on: July 29, 2018, 11:59:29 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Stevens:

Psyched.

He will be the key to precisely zero schemes... this year anyway.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #912 on: July 30, 2018, 01:36:16 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Stevens:

Psyched.

He will be the key to precisely zero schemes... this year anyway.

Geez bro you logged in just to post this? Lol. Everyone agrees he's going to be a Horford understudy for a couple year a..

« Reply #913 on: July 30, 2018, 12:26:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
This attached article in The Ringer was written about RW3 well before the draft, and lauds how he would do best on a team with a lot of perimeter shooters, a team like Boston, right?

Also, watching video of Cappella, who is the perfect template for Williams to follow, it will be fun to see if any of our point guards will set him up the way Harden does. Harden uses Cappella whenever he needs to bail out of a difficult play, often just tossing the ball up above the rim, and saying, "hey, you fetch this, big guy."  I swear sometimes I don't think he even knows where Cappella is when he does that!

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/22/17149150/robert-williams-texas-am-sweet-16

« Reply #914 on: August 12, 2018, 01:06:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150