Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238716 times)

Re: Robert Williams and the makings of a masterpiece
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2018, 03:07:02 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
They were short centers with vertical and Russell had length and era-Parrish and Mchale did not have the tools of Robert Williams neither were explosive or elite vertical-nether were bouncy
And i'll keep my expectations where I want them.-Quit stalking and attempting to use semantics while fully understanding the gist.Your attempts to discredit are blatantly obvious-Bill Russell had the right idea.

I guess you ve seen him play, right? Full games (plural) not just highlights...

I remember another recent pick with very interesting body measurements... Fab Melo...

If someone said about Doncic, 'I remember another recent Euro pick... Mario Hezonja', what would your response be?

Because whatever it is, that's how many of us would react to your Fab Melo / Robert Williams comp.

i did not compare him to Melo because ,i repeat, do not know Williams!

What i said is that claiming someone as a possible legend because he jumps high and has big hands is not very smart as recent picks like Fab Melo have shown.

The difference with Doncic is that i have seen him play . I watched him every week the last two years. I am not a scout so my opinion could be completely wrong and Doncic ends up the new Milicic. Still this is based what i saw and what he did in other leagues while Williams is proclaimed possible legend because of his physical tools. That is way i asked (and never got an answer) if the OP has seen him play enough to draw this conclusion

Maybe just reading the measurements and make assumptions about a player is saver than watching him play.

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I love the fact that since he came to Boston, he is in the gym at 630 am.

That is awesome.

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2018, 03:22:59 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Danny piped up that Robert was two time Defensive Player of Year that's not easy " when questions popped up about his motor.
The innate timing, the love of defense the desire ..Williams has the 2nd highest vertical reach in the world as per 3P sport science,he is bouncy and light on his feet.Who was DPOY but Rudy Gorbert gotta have absurd length these days.
Hyperbole by its very definition is exaggeration to make a point and a legend does not have to be a masterpiece and it can start with some monster jaw dropping dunks and blocks-nobody forgets Daryll Dawkins shattering a fiberglass blackboard-the force of his dunk obliterated the board into a shower of pieces-a real wow moment.Then it happened again.

Time will tell, strengths will come easy, the work will be on areas he wants to avoid now that is work..

This is great. Where do we find that number hot second highest vertical reach.

Here's a video from P3 sports science that states he has a 12'5" max vertical reach.  Dwight Howard had a 12'6" max vert when tested by Sports Science which was the highest they ever tested.  Shaq was 12'5".

The video also praises his lateral movements.

https://mobile.twitter.com/p3sportscience/status/1009124980523597825?lang=en

TP for the post-2nd best recorded to Dwight Howard
I have non stop watched his games and tapes since draft-strengths and weaknesses and some really extensive breakdowns were posted on this site
Williams NBEinstein Video-just posted it
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 03:37:48 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2018, 03:36:32 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
what I really like about Williams is how fast he is to get off the floor to dunk and contest shots. He reminds me a lot of Brandon bass in that regard, just so fast to get the ball to the rim that he rarely ever gets his shots blocked. Now if he ever developers Bass's midrange game he's going to be a problem. 

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2018, 06:26:04 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I seen him mocked as high as 7 if came out last year. He is an athlete of the highest level.  I see him playing some and more if we don't keep Baynes. There is no way we should have passed on him at 27. He has a skill set we don't have and need. He can jump and he is long. I also think our special team can motivate him to be a starter in year 3.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2018, 06:46:05 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
STANDING REACH!!!
I found 2 sources claiming RW has a 9'4'' standing reach but does anyone have anything concrete or other sources.

Standing reach is not mentioned enough, if ever, when people are discussing players and it should be brought up.... especially with big men.

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2018, 07:07:31 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
STANDING REACH!!!
I found 2 sources claiming RW has a 9'4'' standing reach but does anyone have anything concrete or other sources.

Standing reach is not mentioned enough, if ever, when people are discussing players and it should be brought up.... especially with big men.

In this video, P3 Sports Science shows a spider chart which includes standing reach.  It didn't show the height, but it stated he was in the 80% when compared to other NBA centers. That means he has a higher standing reach higher than 80% of other NBA centers.  His max vertical was about 100%. 

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 07:43:30 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2018, 07:17:38 PM »

• Ray Allen
STANDING REACH!!!

In this video, P3 Sports Science shows a spider chart which includes standing reach.  It didn't show the height, but it stated he was in the 80% when compared to other NBA centers. That means he has a higher standing reach higher than 80% of other NBA centers.  His max vertical was about the 100%. 

TP bro
I am looking now to try and find some of that raw data from the chart. Also found another post from P3 stating Williams actually had a 12'6'' max vertical leap. source:
https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/2872781

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2018, 07:19:29 PM »

• Ray Allen
Danny piped up that Robert was two time Defensive Player of Year that's not easy " when questions popped up about his motor.
The innate timing, the love of defense the desire ..Williams has the 2nd highest vertical reach in the world as per 3P sport science,he is bouncy and light on his feet.Who was DPOY but Rudy Gorbert gotta have absurd length these days.
Hyperbole by its very definition is exaggeration to make a point and a legend does not have to be a masterpiece and it can start with some monster jaw dropping dunks and blocks-nobody forgets Daryll Dawkins shattering a fiberglass blackboard-the force of his dunk obliterated the board into a shower of pieces-a real wow moment.Then it happened again.

Time will tell, strengths will come easy, the work will be on areas he wants to avoid now that is work..

Here's a video from P3 sports science that states he has a 12'5" max vertical reach.  Dwight Howard had a 12'6" max vert when tested by Sports Science which was the highest they ever tested.  Shaq was 12'5".

I have non stop watched his games and tapes since draft-strengths and weaknesses and some really extensive breakdowns were posted on this site
Here is a source directly prom P3 stating Robert Williams has a 12'6'' max vertical reach. Also states that he has the 2nd highest vert reach they ever measured besides Jeremy Evans. Source:

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2018, 07:45:50 PM »

• Ray Allen
STANDING REACH!!!

In this video, P3 Sports Science shows a spider chart which includes standing reach.  It didn't show the height, but it stated he was in the 80% when compared to other NBA centers. That means he has a higher standing reach higher than 80% of other NBA centers.  His max vertical was about the 100%. 

TP bro
I am looking now to try and find some of that raw data from the chart. Also found another post from P3 stating Williams actually had a 12'6'' max vertical leap. source:
According to this site the average NBA Center has:
Wingspan: 7'2.8''
Standing Reach: 9'1.2''
http://analyticsgame.com/nba/average-nba-position-draft-measurements.html
But this data is 4 years old and more teams have embraced small ball lineups since then.

If P3 has Williams 7'6'' wingspan at 90th percentile then an 80th percentile for standing reach could easily be 9'4''....depending on what data and averages they are going on for the "average nba center"

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2018, 08:45:37 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
STANDING REACH!!!

In this video, P3 Sports Science shows a spider chart which includes standing reach.  It didn't show the height, but it stated he was in the 80% when compared to other NBA centers. That means he has a higher standing reach higher than 80% of other NBA centers.  His max vertical was about 100%. 

The club from Charmed?

Wait, what? ;D

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2018, 09:20:53 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Here is a source directly prom P3 stating Robert Williams has a
12'6''
max vertical reach. Also states that he has the 2nd highest vert reach they ever measured besides Jeremy Evans. Source:

That's incredible! TP

It shows in the game clips, he reaches some impossibly high lobs. Considering how relatively weak we are at passing oops, save for Smart, it's good to have somebody with reach like that to pull in slightly errant oops.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2018, 10:45:30 PM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Just for reference here is Dwight touching 12'6" on a B-ball hoop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVfCaPRgTA4

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2018, 10:48:41 PM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Here is a few mins from the presser the other day with Danny, Brad, and RW3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-FPMfsJtkQ

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2018, 12:06:37 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
He should just retire now, so that he can get a head start on the Hall Of Fame.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.