Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238696 times)

Re: Robert Williams and the makings of a masterpiece
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 09:05:21 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
They were short centers with vertical and Russell had length and era-Parrish and Mchale did not have the tools of Robert Williams neither were explosive or elite vertical-nether were bouncy
And i'll keep my expectations where I want them.-Quit stalking and attempting to use semantics while fully understanding the gist.Your attempts to discredit are blatantly obvious-Bill Russell had the right idea.

Bill Russell was not a short center in his era. In fact, he was actually pretty big when compared to centers of his day.

There is no need to be upset when someone has a difference of opinion. That's bound to happen on a forum.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 09:16:08 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
If he could develop a Marc Blount-esk jump shot ... then we have a keeper

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 09:21:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
with tools not seen since the days of Celtics legend centers Russell and Cowens

We have yet to see whether he has the tools of Tony Battie.
if he turned out to be Tony Battie - we'll have done well for a #27 pick.  hopefully a much better rebounding Tony Battie and Williams develops a reliable 16ft jumper like Battie

I'd be happy with it.  I always liked Battie.

I think Battie is probably a more realistic comp than Bill Russell or Dave Cowens.  Here's his pre-draft scouting report:

Having lost four starters from last season's 30-2 team, Texas Tech
needed Tony Battie to become a star this season, and Battie responded in
a big way.  Battie was the team's second-leading scorer and leading
rebounder, and was a terror defensively.
     Battie is a good low-post scorer, but his offensive game is
somewhat limited.  He needs to expand his shooting range.  What Battie
lacks at the offensive end, he makes up for defensively.  He is an
excellent rebounder and shot-blocker.  He uses his athleticism to aid
him defensively.
     There are two knocks on Battie. He is undersized to play center in
the NBA, and might be undersized to play power forward as well.  In
spite of this, he performed well against good competition, as Tech
played a tough schedule, and played against teams with good big men
(including a few Big Twelve teams).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 09:23:40 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

if he turned out to be Tony Battie - we'll have done well for a #27 pick.  hopefully a much better rebounding Tony Battie and Williams develops a reliable 16ft jumper like Battie

I think Battie is probably a more realistic comp than Bill Russell or Dave Cowens.  Here's his pre-draft scouting report:

him defensively.

Man I loved Tony Battie. Absolutely loved. At pick 27 I would be more than happy to see Williams turn out to be a Batman 2.0

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

him defensively.

Man I loved Tony Battie. Absolutely loved. At pick 27 I would be more than happy to see Williams turn out to be a Batman 2.0

I looked at what Battie was coming out of college about an inch or 2 taller at 6’11”, but 15 pounds lighter at 225.

Can anyone find Battie’s wingspan/standing reach and vertical and compare that to Williams.

Another thing that really stands out to me is his speed in transition (maybe Parish like), and his agility.  The combine drills they use to test those things would be very interesting.

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2018, 10:13:17 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
They were short centers with vertical and Russell had length and era-Parrish and Mchale did not have the tools of Robert Williams neither were explosive or elite vertical-nether were bouncy
And i'll keep my expectations where I want them.-Quit stalking and attempting to use semantics while fully understanding the gist.Your attempts to discredit are blatantly obvious-Bill Russell had the right idea.

Bill Russell was not a short center in his era. In fact, he was actually pretty big when compared to centers of his day.

There is no need to be upset when someone has a difference of opinion. That's bound to happen on a forum.

And you could have left it at, "Dream Big" no need to throw shade.

Celtic fans have a habit, due to our history, lore and all the stories that Red told,
to be overzealous.
And by the way....
During Russell's career, the average center was 1 inch shorter than today's center.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 10:19:17 AM by ThaPreacher »
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 10:20:08 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
He appears to have the physical skills - now I want to see what's in his head...and his heart....

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2018, 10:23:37 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I'll take it, if he turns out to be Tony Battie.

Hard worker, bruiser, does his job well, sets good, hard screens. That's a solid player. If Robert Williams will be Tony Battie, that's a good complimentary piece.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2018, 11:39:35 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I am def excited about his potential and the fact that lots of people had him going in the early-mid teens in the draft, and we got him at 27.

I can't even begin to predict what his ceiling is. I'm seeing a pretty broad range of where he could end up. At minimum I think he'll be a strong defender, I believe the odds of total bust are pretty low. Good thing he's in a great organization that generally does well in player development.

Could be Giannis, could be Fab Melo. Most likely he'll be somewhere in the middle. Ok maybe I am exaggerating with Giannis but really we have no idea.

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 11:54:17 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
What are you talking about -a gifted acquisition,under coached and used as a power forward with a poor point guard and center'
I also stressed tools and it is up to the organization,coaching staff and his teammates to teach him.If he fails it will not be athletic ability.Conditioning ,strength training,drills and nutrition .He has youth that drive themselves to emulate and veterans to guide him and a great coach and organization.Are you claiming he is Fab Melo.

No i am not claiming anything like that because I haven't seen him play. Have you ?

What i AM saying is that athletic ability by itself doesn't mean anything! on the other hand you are calling the 27th pick a possible legend!!!

And please don't twist my posts to suit your answer !

Well he's saying all the right things....."It's a big blessing" to join the Boston Celtics!

And take a note....the number he is wearing!

Ainge!
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 01:10:42 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Danny piped up that Robert was two time Defensive Player of Year that's not easy " when questions popped up about his motor.
The innate timing, the love of defense the desire ..Williams has the 2nd highest vertical reach in the world as per 3P sport science,he is bouncy and light on his feet.Who was DPOY but Rudy Gorbert gotta have absurd length these days.
Hyperbole by its very definition is exaggeration to make a point and a legend does not have to be a masterpiece and it can start with some monster jaw dropping dunks and blocks-nobody forgets Daryll Dawkins shattering a fiberglass blackboard-the force of his dunk obliterated the board into a shower of pieces-a real wow moment.Then it happened again.
Time will tell, strengths will come easy, the work will be on areas he wants to avoid now that is work..

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 01:42:38 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
If he could develop a Marc Blount-esk jump shot ... then we have a keeper

Marc Blount-esk anything is not good.... That's the: play hard for one year for a contract and then shut yourself down move.

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2018, 01:43:24 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Danny piped up that Robert was two time Defensive Player of Year that's not easy " when questions popped up about his motor.
The innate timing, the love of defense the desire ..Williams has the 2nd highest vertical reach in the world as per 3P sport science,he is bouncy and light on his feet.Who was DPOY but Rudy Gorbert gotta have absurd length these days.
Hyperbole by its very definition is exaggeration to make a point and a legend does not have to be a masterpiece and it can start with some monster jaw dropping dunks and blocks-nobody forgets Daryll Dawkins shattering a fiberglass blackboard-the force of his dunk obliterated the board into a shower of pieces-a real wow moment.Then it happened again.
Time will tell, strengths will come easy, the work will be on areas he wants to avoid now that is work..

This is great. Where do we find that number hot second highest vertical reach.

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2018, 02:45:57 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

I guess you ve seen him play, right? Full games (plural) not just highlights...

I remember another recent pick with very interesting body measurements... Fab Melo...

If someone said about Doncic, 'I remember another recent Euro pick... Mario Hezonja', what would your response be?

Because whatever it is, that's how many of us would react to your Fab Melo / Robert Williams comp.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2018, 02:47:42 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

This is great. Where do we find that number hot second highest vertical reach.

Here's a video from P3 sports science that states he has a 12'5" max vertical reach.  Dwight Howard had a 12'6" max vert when tested by Sports Science which was the highest they ever tested.  Shaq was 12'5".

The video also praises his lateral movements.

https://mobile.twitter.com/p3sportscience/status/1009124980523597825?lang=en

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 02:58:08 PM by knuckleballer »