Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238934 times)

Two Time SEC Defensive Player of Year-a tough conference
« Reply #855 on: July 23, 2018, 07:53:52 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Danny so emphatically brought this up at Introduction Conference, i decided to read up on this award and found he also led the SEC in 2018 in rebounds 9 and blocks 2.6 per game..One article said he was runaway favorite as defensive player of year.
With his tools and his "love of Defense" this seems a transferable skill and will get him some time on the court.

Larranaga said he was a quick learner so this period between Summer League and training camp should be maximized at the Auerbach Facility.Weight training ,diet, film and drills with trainers.

With the focus on Hayward and Marcus signing Williams has gone off the grid.Which could be a good thing after his earlier Faux Pas.
So in my watching his tapes with its collection of dunks and blocks , what stood out to me was the body control and his moves to basket in transition.This kid is very coordinated not just a pogo stick.That showed in his missed runner in his first 6 minutes of summer league his court awareness(time clock) and soft touch.
Overlooked is his rebounding and awareness of where the ball is going, he covers a huge area because of his wingspan and attacks the ball while rebounding over others.
Then there is the bio mechanics that allow him the switch ability onto guards and how massive that is to todays game.

The word tantalizing was used for Williams skill set .

And that applies to starting five the caliber of skill sets and all shooting 40% from three
Then bring in Marcus, Rozier, Theis, Morris, and Baynes the opposing 2nd team back courts will be trembling.
Last year at training camp players were giddy and Horford said it was the best he ever had.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:39:09 PM by rollie mass »

Re: Two Time SEC Defensive Player of Year-a tough conference
« Reply #856 on: July 23, 2018, 08:53:49 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
SEC DPOY is certainly a good thing, but a lot of times College dominance doesn’t translate. Here’s a list of NCAA DPOYs. It’s got some great players, and some guys who flamed out.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/awards/nabc-dpoy.html

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #857 on: July 23, 2018, 10:53:58 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
SEC DPOY is certainly a good thing, but a lot of times College dominance doesn’t translate. Here’s a list of NCAA DPOYs. It’s got some great players, and some guys who flamed out.

Thanks, Roy. Good context.  Although I must say there are some pretty impressive names on that list (Anthony Davis, Shane Battier, Victor Oladipo) and also a couple of real busts (Thabeet, Shelden Williams).

EDIT: And going back to the 90's, guys like Duncan, Mourning and Grant HIll and Stacy Augmon. WOW.

Bottom line: Every player is unique.

I wonder if RW3 got many votes for national defensive player of the year in either of his two seasons?

« Reply #858 on: July 23, 2018, 11:32:46 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

I think it's more useful, as the OP addressed, at physical tools. Frankly with a 7'5" wingspan, huge vert, and incredible quickness, it should be of no surprise to anyone that RW3 was a terrific rebounder and rim-protector in college. It would nearly be inexplicable to not translate those skills into the pros.

Where RW3 has the biggest questions is shooting/post O, but he's shown some signs of having at least passable touch and is a brilliant finisher. I have no doubt RW3 will be successful as a D player, he would almost have to try to not be.

« Reply #859 on: July 23, 2018, 12:24:49 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Thanks, Roy. Good context.  Although I must say there are some pretty impressive names on that list (Anthony Davis, Shane Battier, Victor Oladipo) and also a couple of real busts (Thabeet, Shelden Williams).

EDIT: And going back to the 90's, guys like Duncan, Mourning and Grant HIll and Stacy Augmon. WOW.

Bottom line: Every player is unique.

I wonder if RW3 got many votes for national defensive player of the year in either of his two seasons?
Yeah, I don't necessarily think that it will translate.  But that list actually adds more confidence, rather than less. 

« Reply #860 on: July 23, 2018, 01:51:05 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
It is really a shame that he did not play more in the summer league.  At this point, it is absolutely impossible to judge what kind of NBA player he will be (as it is with nearly any rookie).  But with the physical skills that he brings, however raw, to get this type of player this late in the draft, what more can you expect?

The SEC player of the year thing it great, it doesn't mean much but it does mean something.  It means he is a defensive minded big who had some success at the top level of college basketball in at least one aspect of the game.  I'll take that and remain patient until we have a chance to see what we have. 

I think he may be somewhat like Avery Bradley.  Bradley was actually pretty bad his first season.  He was physically ready for the game but not emotionally.  But if you watch closely, you could tell that there was something there.  I hope we see the same with Robert (Little Chief) Williams.

Re: Robert Williams(Merged Threads)
« Reply #861 on: July 23, 2018, 02:37:27 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Let him become healthy and train some months with the team

Where is Robert Williams
« Reply #862 on: July 26, 2018, 05:56:29 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Is he working out at Auerbach center,has his knee healed
Jaysons working hard!
Jaylen in between trips and playing baseball.!
How is his attitude?And weight training?

Re: Where is Robert Williams
« Reply #863 on: July 26, 2018, 06:00:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
who is Robert Williams?

« Reply #864 on: July 26, 2018, 06:02:25 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
No one here would have any idea man. Last we heard he should be back in Boston by now and working with the personal coach the Celtics have assigned him. Why don't you head down to the Auerbach and see for yourself?

« Reply #865 on: July 26, 2018, 06:20:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Based upon what we know, probably partying, sleeping in a lot, and randomly losing stuff. Haha.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #866 on: July 26, 2018, 06:37:49 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
who is Robert Williams?

I’ll do you one better - why is Robert Williams?! 😂

https://youtu.be/0X82MbhuCgg (for context)

« Reply #867 on: July 26, 2018, 06:48:04 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

« Reply #868 on: July 26, 2018, 07:00:35 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Robert Williams Unveils New STEM Lab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=PfbY-1Z4h0w
TP, great update.  In spite of early mistakes, I have a lot of hope for this kid. He’s got a great support team around him and just needs to embrace his opportunity.

« Reply #869 on: July 26, 2018, 07:12:38 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
who is Robert Williams?
you probably know him by his nickname - sleepy.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva