Author Topic: Nerlens Noel  (Read 2573 times)

Nerlens Noel
« on: June 27, 2018, 11:01:02 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I was surprised to see this nugget in a Ringer article today:

As a result, some RFAs could sign a one-year qualifying offer in order to hit unrestricted free agency next summer. It’s a big risk. Nerlens Noel reportedly turned down a four-year, $70 million offer from the Mavs last summer, and he may end up getting a minimum contract following an injury-plagued season in which he was benched after repeatedly clashing with the Dallas coaching staff.

I wonder how likely that is; would Nerlens be interested in returning to New England on a minimum deal? Would the C's be interested?

Re: Nerlens Noel
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 11:07:55 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The problem is that him and Robert William do the exact same thing. They're both shot blocking rim runners.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 11:22:35 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think it's pretty much a foregone conclusion Noel is going somewhere where he can get minutes to rebuild his value.

Wizards seems like the ideal location.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 11:51:33 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Noel isn't coming to Boston. With Baynes likely resigning and the Williams pick that boat has sailed.

The Noel reclamation will be really interesting to watch. In theory he should be the ideal playing the Capella role.  The Rockets could even try to sign him if Capella gets a max offer and they do not match.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 12:06:26 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Noel will probably sign in Washington.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I don't know why people still give this guy any thought...he's obviously not someone you'd want on the team for whatever reason...I said it a year ago.  Just say no.  Just keep saying no.

If the Celtics sign him I'll admit big wrongness...

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 12:33:40 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I don't know why people still give this guy any thought...he's obviously not someone you'd want on the team for whatever reason...I said it a year ago.  Just say no.  Just keep saying no.

If the Celtics sign him I'll admit big wrongness...

I agree. So many wanted Okafor for so long as well. I never wanted either.

The Sixers could have been so much scarier if they had drafted better early on. But then again, they might not have been able to get Embiid or Simmons so I guess in the end, that futility in drafting paid dividends in the end.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 03:19:13 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

I would still take Okafor at the minimum if we had the space for him on the roster which we don't. There is a latent talent there which is worth a gamble. I do think he has big issues, he'll never reach his full potential but there is a serviceable big man there if he can get the right coaching

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 03:28:58 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I would still take Okafor at the minimum if we had the space for him on the roster which we don't. There is a latent talent there which is worth a gamble. I do think he has big issues, he'll never reach his full potential but there is a serviceable big man there if he can get the right coaching

If we want an Okafor type player we might as well re-sign Monroe who can do everything he does plus pass.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 04:03:48 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
If he turned down 4 years $70m he's a moron! He will be lucky to earn that over the next 10 years!

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 04:28:59 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

If we want an Okafor type player we might as well re-sign Monroe who can do everything he does plus pass.

There would be a significant difference in price there. Monroe won't sign for the minimum, Okafor would.

It's a moot point because we aren't going for either. There is no space in the roster for them. It's worth a good organisation taking a gamble on him. Worst case you waive him.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 04:36:35 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
If he turned down 4 years $70m he's a moron! He will be lucky to earn that over the next 10 years!
He did turn that down and as I remember his agent at the time was Happy Walters who told him to take it, he wanted more and the real world smacked him right in the face.  The offer from the Mavs was only good until free agency opened and they subsequently pulled it, Nerlens heard nothing but crickets from the open market.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 05:16:14 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
He did turn that down and as I remember his agent at the time was Happy Walters who told him to take it, he wanted more and the real world smacked him right in the face.  The offer from the Mavs was only good until free agency opened and they subsequently pulled it, Nerlens heard nothing but crickets from the open market.
Yup.  Although this happened only a couple of year ago, it was just at the point where long-range shooting big men were coming in vogue.  Now every team wants once and there are a bunch of dinosaurs out of work or bouncing around.