Poll

Would You?

Yes. He's A Big Headcase & A Clown And/Or I'd Much Rather Simply Re-Sign Baynes. Keep Him Away From Here!
29 (43.9%)
No. I'd Take The Gamble And Hope He Can Contribute Well To A Title Run
37 (56.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Hypothetically, If We Signed Dwight Howard To Minimum, Would You Be Upset?  (Read 10467 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
(To minimum OR using any exception, like the MLE)

Personally, I wouldn't be that upset if we signed Howard to the minimum. If we did, then it means Ainge and CBS did their homework and talked with him and his agent, and felt he could fit into the team (willing to play somewhat limited minutes on a title-contender) and contribute to a title run. Also, at minimum, he comes at low-risk, so even if he was a headcase here, they could simply dump him early on in the season and keep on rolling.

It looks like the teams in the mix for him are Toronto, NYK, Boston, Golden State, Portland and Cleveland. Maybe Houston if they end up losing Capela (though I doubt it)

Remember, he did average 17/13 last year and in 20-25 minutes (whether starting or off the bench), he could probably still put up 12/9 kind of numbers. I LOVED the Robert Williams pick, but he's not as polished like Tatum was so I imagine it'll be an adjustment for him first year (like Jaylen was 2 years ago). An engaged Dwight could be a legitimate lob threat/rebounding threat and surrounded by shooters, that's a tough team for opponents to defend. Even the Warriors frankly would have no real answer for him (not McGee, not Draymond, not Pachulia).

What do you guys think though?

I'm fine just bringing back Baynes and not doing anything else for our front court, but I certainly would consider Howard as a "wild card" option this FA to add to the depth and bolster the front court even more.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:24:38 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Why would a 16/12 guy sign for the veteran minimum?
I wouldn't be upset. I just don't see it happening.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Once DA and CBS ok it, then I’m ok with it.

There’s no denying his skill set. It’s really off the court where he’s got red flags. I would love a lineup of Kyrie-Brown-Hayward-Horford-Dwight though (yeah Tatum comes off the bench). It helps preserve Al by moving him to the 4 and we have a 4 floor spacers to surround Dwight.
- LilRip

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Yes, because we’re still trying to develop a couple young bigs. And because Dwight really has the potential to ruin a locker room.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

He's already making 24M from Brooklyn. They plan to buy him out.

Considering his reputation, I'd find it hard to believe any team offers him the MLE or more than that. If Dwight wants to play for a contender, he may need to take a paycut (like the minimum), but he probably wouldn't mind since he's already getting 24M this season and has a chance for a title (or deep playoff run).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd love me some Dwight Howard.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

It depends in part on the terms of his buyout.  It is not uncommon for half of everything he gets above the minimum to go back to the team that released him (the set-off, as it’s called in the NBA).  Given that, signing for the minimum for a year to rehab is value before signing one more contract next year, that wouldn’t go back to the Nets 50%, isn’t a crazy as it otherwise would be.

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Once DA and CBS ok it, then I’m ok with it.

There’s no denying his skill set. It’s really off the court where he’s got red flags. I would love a lineup of Kyrie-Brown-Hayward-Horford-Dwight though (yeah Tatum comes off the bench). It helps preserve Al by moving him to the 4 and we have a 4 floor spacers to surround Dwight.

If Dwight's only goal is to win a championship and Brad is OK with it, I guess I'd be fine with giving it a chance... It would probably be Dwights last chance at a ring and maybe he could stay focused for a single season. I was a straight no before but it is an all in season for the Celtics and you have to push all those chips into the middle.

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
No. It's not like we're likely going to give him the 9M MLE or have to clear some cap space to outright sign him using cap $$$. At the minimum exception (or room exception), it's worth the gamble if Ainge and CBS think so too.

Also, as we saw last year, depth is important and unfortunately injuries should happen, so even if they brought back Baynes, they should still do their homework on Dwight and see if he could contribute. I also expect Williams might not contribute much his first year, which is perfectly fine but as a result should not stop us from exploring the possibility.

It's exciting to think this year, we're not talking, "lets make the ECF and simply give Cleveland a competitive series", it's "Lets legitimately go for Banner 18. Next summer, for sure!"  8)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If it cost us Baynes, yes.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Naturally New York will get him. They have a knack for getting guys 5 to 7 years past their prime.

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224

If it cost us Baynes, yes.

That pictures funny to me because I can't imagine two players who are more polar opposites.

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
It wouldn't upset me.

But it might upset Al Horford. (He left ATL when they signed Howard)

And that would upset me.

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I would like to see Howard on the Celtics. However, my biggest fear is hack-a-Howard. I flat out do not want to see that every time he plays. For the life of me, I don't know why the NBA doesn't end this stupid "strategy" and just call the foul for what it is...an intentional foul through out the game, and not just the final two minutes of the quarter.

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
It would upset me (as much as basketball can).  I wouldn't want him if he paid the Celtics to play.