Author Topic: Robert Williams with the #8 pick  (Read 3851 times)

Robert Williams with the #8 pick
« on: June 25, 2018, 02:43:48 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
This is in reference to the Kyrie Irving trade. I actually would have been okay with selecting Robert Williams number 8 this year, if we had not traded for Irving.

Full disclosure, I would have taken Kevin Knox number 8, but Williams might have been my second choice with that said what a deal the Celtics getting Irving and Williams.  unbelievable.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:02:37 AM by KG Living Legend »

Re: Robert Williams with the #8 pick
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 06:43:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
UK had a poor showing this year I would be leary of any of their guys on that team because it was a bad one by UK standards.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 06:56:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think Ainge would have taken Porter at 8. High risk but very high reward and the versatility Ainge loves
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 07:55:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yeah, no way we take Wiliams at 8, blatant homerism, we got him after he was predicted to fall in the 10-15 range.   No one had him, in their top eight.

That being said, I am really excited we got him should be something to watch in Summer League.  Which up to drafting him, I was not real happy about the prospects of watching the low quality basketball that amounts to guards just chucking shots up and everyone trying to shoot themselves on the team.

This guy could be electrifying like Brown is when he enters the game with the potential of a rim rattling dunk at anytime.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 08:06:26 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Probably a bit of a stretch, but I certainly wouldn't have disappointed with Williams as the pick if we had made a trade with LAC for their #12 or #13 using Rozier and #27. Well, actually, I would have preferred Porter, but only because I thought he should have solidly been in the top 6 or 7.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 08:06:47 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would be pretty irritated if we took him at #8.  On talent alone it’s borderline justifiable, but there are too many question marks and too many good players remained on the board.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 08:17:29 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I’m intrigued to see how he ends up doing compared to other bigs taken in the lottery Jackson, Carter, Bamba, Bagley, and Ayton.  I think at least defensively he has a chance to be on par with this group.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 09:02:10 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I’m intrigued to see how he ends up doing compared to other bigs taken in the lottery Jackson, Carter, Bamba, Bagley, and Ayton.  I think at least defensively he has a chance to be on par with this group.
This is all the matters to me too, at this point.  There's a short vid out in youtube of him defending Ayton pretty well.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 09:33:11 AM »

Offline Mempitt18

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
If we don't do the Kyrie trade, we trade up from #8 for either Doncic or Bamba

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 09:53:19 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I would be pretty irritated if we took him at #8.  On talent alone it’s borderline justifiable, but there are too many question marks and too many good players remained on the board.

I’m not sure I agree.  I look at the picks say from 8 through 15, and Williams can easily be lumped in that group.  Sure, there might be safer picks but I’d rather swing for the fences.

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 09:53:50 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Lakers fan are all goo goo over Her Vagner .

say n things like he is prototype NBA big man ....? what ?  :P

We ll see , their other hero from last year Zabic or what ever his name is mud now and they want him gone.   LOL

Interested to see who is better # 26 or # 27

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 10:04:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Lakers fan are all goo goo over Her Vagner .

say n things like he is prototype NBA big man ....? what ?  :P

We ll see , their other hero from last year Zabic or what ever his name is mud now and they want him gone.   LOL

Interested to see who is better # 26 or # 27
Yeah, Wagner is definitely not the prototypical big man. Slow, not a very good rebounder, not a good passer, and struggles to defend physical big men without fouling. His only prototypical skill, I guess, is that he can shoot the 3 ball. Reminds me of Ryan Anderson, but way less of a scoring arsenal than Anderson developed
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 10:05:42 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Probably a bit of a stretch, but I certainly wouldn't have disappointed with Williams as the pick if we had made a trade with LAC for their #12 or #13 using Rozier and #27. Well, actually, I would have preferred Porter, but only because I thought he should have solidly been in the top 6 or 7.

Things always look differently in retrospect but I am not sure I would trade Rozier and #27 for Williams.  As you said, Porter maybe, depending on the medicals.  Williams seems like a great pick with a lot of promise but he has a long way to go before he is as valuable as Rozier.

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 11:07:15 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Yeah, no way we take Wiliams at 8, blatant homerism, we got him after he was predicted to fall in the 10-15 range.   No one had him, in their top eight.

That being said, I am really excited we got him should be something to watch in Summer League.  Which up to drafting him, I was not real happy about the prospects of watching the low quality basketball that amounts to guards just chucking shots up and everyone trying to shoot themselves on the team.

This guy could be electrifying like Brown is when he enters the game with the potential of a rim rattling dunk at anytime.

Blantant Homerism. Get outta here. I said I'd take Knox over him and Porter if his medical was clear.

The fact is the kid is a perfect for here whether it's at #27 or #8. And he's talented enough to warrant #8.

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 11:18:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Without the Kyrie trade, this team would need a PG desperately. I think there is a good chance Ainge would have gone for Collin Sexton.