Author Topic: Why Baynes is likely the odd man out this summer  (Read 14723 times)

Re: Why Baynes is likely the odd man out this summer
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2018, 04:30:01 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Rather have Dwight Howard than Baynes

I’d rather have bring Dino Radja out of retirement than sign Howard. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2018, 04:36:33 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Good post, but three quick points:

1. On draft night a Celtics source indicated that there’s mutual interest in a Baynes return;

2. Baynes is more a necessity than luxury. We need him for our defense, we need him to keep Horford fresh, and we need him for our chemistry;

3. I disagree on Morris’ trade value. At worst, it’s neutral, but I’ve got to think he has positive value. Morris, Nader and Yabu should all be on the block. Packaging them all along with $5 million would clear room for Baynes while opening up tax space and roster spots.

1. Mutual interest does not mean that he returns.  It means depending on the Celtics tax situation and the other offers Baynes gets.  There was mutual interest with Olynyk last year, but it didn’t mean he was the top priority, and when the Celtics were able to sign their top priority, there was no longer room for KO.

Here’s the actual tweet:

Keith Smith
Verified account
@KeithSmithNBA

Source: Drafting of Robert Williams has no impact on the Celtics intention to re-sign Aron Baynes. "We still intend to have Aron back in Boston and he's told us this is where he wants to be."

7:35 PM - 21 Jun 2018

That sounds like the Celts have a plan to bring him back.

I don’t doubt that, and in this I’m not arguing that Williams is any kind of obstacle to Baynes.  But unless and until they trade Morris, which might be more difficult than the prevailing wisdom says it should be for a veteran rotation wing on an affordable contract, they are lacking the space to bring back Baynes.

But, shouldn’t the Celtics source know all that? If the present intention is to bring him back, they’ve no doubt explored all the options internally. Taking that tweet at face value, it’s likely — even very likely — that Baynes is back.

I think you’re taking an unsourced quote a little too much at face value.  The primary point is that the Williams pick has no impact on Baynes.  The rest of it is standard PR stuff where you say nice things about a player you legitimately hope to have back if you can make the numbers work, but there’s no reason to actually talk about how to make the numbers work in said quote.

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2018, 04:38:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I would offer Baynes 5.3m per year for 2 year deal and Smart a 3 year/39 million dollar deal.

If a Kahwi Leonard becomes available, we could consolidate assets by trading Smart 13m, Jaylen Brown 4.7m, and Morris 5m, plus draft picks.

If the Leonard trade doesn't happen, our team is still STACKED and ready to compete for a title run!

I'm not giving Smart $13m!  He's MLE material, no more!

I think we match up to $15 per.

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2018, 04:43:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

1. On draft night a Celtics source indicated that there’s mutual interest in a Baynes return;

2. Baynes is more a necessity than luxury. We need him for our defense, we need him to keep Horford fresh, and we need him for our chemistry;

3. I disagree on Morris’ trade value. At worst, it’s neutral, but I’ve got to think he has positive value. Morris, Nader and Yabu should all be on the block. Packaging them all along with $5 million would clear room for Baynes while opening up tax space and roster spots.

1. Mutual interest does not mean that he returns.  It means depending on the Celtics tax situation and the other offers Baynes gets.  There was mutual interest with Olynyk last year, but it didn’t mean he was the top priority, and when the Celtics were able to sign their top priority, there was no longer room for KO.

Here’s the actual tweet:

Keith Smith
Verified account
@KeithSmithNBA

Source: Drafting of Robert Williams has no impact on the Celtics intention to re-sign Aron Baynes. "We still intend to have Aron back in Boston and he's told us this is where he wants to be."

I don’t doubt that, and in this I’m not arguing that Williams is any kind of obstacle to Baynes.  But unless and until they trade Morris, which might be more difficult than the prevailing wisdom says it should be for a veteran rotation wing on an affordable contract, they are lacking the space to bring back Baynes.

But, shouldn’t the Celtics source know all that? If the present intention is to bring him back, they’ve no doubt explored all the options internally. Taking that tweet at face value, it’s likely — even very likely — that Baynes is back.

I think you’re taking an unsourced quote a little too much at face value.  The primary point is that the Williams pick has no impact on Baynes.  The rest of it is standard PR stuff where you say nice things about a player you legitimately hope to have back if you can make the numbers work, but there’s no reason to actually talk about how to make the numbers work in said quote.

Or, they intend to bring him back. Your reasoning is solid, but I think that Baynes is an important piece.

Bet you a TP / pizza / steak dinner on it?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2018, 04:51:51 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It is hard to know where DA is going to go with all of this.  But....

I think Baynes was outstanding for us pretty much all season.  He was an outstanding defender, even when forced to switch onto players that should have a big quickness advantage he still did well.  He has a nice touch on his little hook shots, can hit the short range ft extended jumper.  He blends well with the team and doesn't sulk when brad gives him limited minutes.

Like Salt said, this isn't between Baynes and Williams.  I am honestly wondering if Williams spends some time in Maine.  I think the C's do want Aaron back and visa versa.  Hopefully Smart will come back on the cheap so we can keep most (ALL) of our team from last season together.

If Yabu, Nader and even Morris need to go to keep Baynes and stay out of the tax I guess I would do that.  I think Morris is the player whose minutes are going to get cut the most next year with GH being back.  Morris may not be happy about where things will stand for him next year and might support a trade.

KEEP BAYNES!

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2018, 05:14:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Baynes and Smart before Morris /Moose

Stiill want to swap Rozier for a decent 1st

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2018, 05:19:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Here’s the actual tweet:

Keith Smith
Verified account
@KeithSmithNBA

Or, they intend to bring him back. Your reasoning is solid, but I think that Baynes is an important piece.

If Smart resigns for between $11 and $14 million in year 1 I will give you 10 TPS that Baynes doesn’t return.  (Under that amount and you can probably afford all of Smart, Baynes, and Morris by moving Yabusele, and over that you’re in the tax so might as well keep Baynes too.)

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2018, 05:41:47 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Here’s the actual tweet:

Keith Smith
Verified account
@KeithSmithNBA

If Smart resigns for between $11 and $14 million in year 1 I will give you 10 TPS that Baynes doesn’t return.  (Under that amount and you can probably afford all of Smart, Baynes, and Morris by moving Yabusele, and over that you’re in the tax so might as well keep Baynes too.)

Alright. I’ll shoot you 10 TPs if Baynes isn’t back, regardless of other signings.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2018, 05:45:23 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I would offer Baynes 5.3m per year for 2 year deal and Smart a 3 year/39 million dollar deal.

If a Kahwi Leonard becomes available, we could consolidate assets by trading Smart 13m, Jaylen Brown 4.7m, and Morris 5m, plus draft picks.

If the Leonard trade doesn't happen, our team is still STACKED and ready to compete for a title run!

I hope not! That would be the end of what Danny has built. Once you give a guy that will struggle to get more than 15 mpg next season if everyone is healthy that kind of money than who do you lose in the future? KI, Brown, Tatum? You can't pay everyone big money it just doesn't work. If Smart gets eight figures from the C's this off season than I know Rome is burning!

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2018, 05:55:47 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I hope not! That would be the end of what Danny has built. Once you give a guy that will struggle to get more than 15 mpg next season if everyone is healthy that kind of money than who do you lose in the future? KI, Brown, Tatum? You can't pay everyone big money it just doesn't work. If Smart gets eight figures from the C's this off season than I know Rome is burning!

I'm curious why you think Smart's minutes will be cut in half when the team hasn't added anyone to the roster who plays the same position.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2018, 07:51:37 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
For those who want to keep Smart and Baynes at a reasonable prices, and Morris proves difficult to trade... as a last resort I guess you could waive and stretch Morris (3 yrs at 1.783 mil yr) and then trade Yabu if more salary needed to be cleared.

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2018, 08:15:31 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Keith Smith said it's all but a done deal that Baynes will be back.

And Baynes is representing the Celtics at the NBA awards tomorrow night. It's pretty obvious that whatever pieces have to be moved, Baynes will be back. The only question is at whose expense.

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2018, 08:25:44 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
For those who want to keep Smart and Baynes at a reasonable prices, and Morris proves difficult to trade... as a last resort I guess you could waive and stretch Morris (3 yrs at 1.783 mil yr) and then trade Yabu if more salary needed to be cleared.

Morris won't be difficult to trade. He's a pretty useful player at a cheap price. We just might not get very much in return.

I don't think they'll trade Yabu. They're still pretty high on him from what Kaufman and so forth have said.

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2018, 08:29:29 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I assume that (in the case of lowish salaried players mostly) they can be cut to make space when no deals can be found?  Or wrongo?

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2018, 08:40:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I assume that (in the case of lowish salaried players mostly) they can be cut to make space when no deals can be found?  Or wrongo?

Not really, because even this assumes that you’re leaving one open roster spot, and signing someone at the vet minimum is going to cost more than you save.  You could stretch Nader, for example, at only $65k per year for 7 years, but he makes under $1.4 million this year, and a replacement would cost $1.5 million, so there’s really nothing gained.