Author Topic: Why Baynes is likely the odd man out this summer  (Read 14732 times)

Re: Why Baynes is likely the odd man out this summer
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2018, 02:05:25 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I would offer Baynes 5.3m per year for 2 year deal and Smart a 3 year/39 million dollar deal.

If a Kahwi Leonard becomes available, we could consolidate assets by trading Smart 13m, Jaylen Brown 4.7m, and Morris 5m, plus draft picks.

If the Leonard trade doesn't happen, our team is still STACKED and ready to compete for a title run!

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2018, 02:21:56 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I expect Baynes to be here. I also think the Cs are going to avoid the luxury tax for one more year. Trading Morris (in addition to stretching Nader and letting Monroe walk) is by far the easiest way to sign Baynes, Smart, Bird, and Larkin. That gets you 14 players on the roster which may be enough with Allen and another 2-way player they pick up.

No to Howard for the record.

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2018, 02:27:56 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Rather have Dwight Howard than Baynes

Who said what now?

Baynes all day. Baynes will be back. Having both him and Theis just further deepens our bench and our lineups versatility. We can play any type of big man matchup with them both on the bench.

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2018, 02:30:25 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I would offer Baynes 5.3m per year for 2 year deal and Smart a 3 year/39 million dollar deal.

If a Kahwi Leonard becomes available, we could consolidate assets by trading Smart 13m, Jaylen Brown 4.7m, and Morris 5m, plus draft picks.

If the Leonard trade doesn't happen, our team is still STACKED and ready to compete for a title run!

I'm not giving Smart $13m!  He's MLE material, no more!

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2018, 02:35:45 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
Regardless of that valuation opinion, the BIG thing to consider is that if Smart earns a mid range deal, it becomes a LOT easier to create a trade for star players such as Kahwi (who usually earn 20m+) by using Smart's salary as part of the package.

I'm not giving Smart $13m!  He's MLE material, no more!

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2018, 02:41:35 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Good post, but three quick points:

1. On draft night a Celtics source indicated that there’s mutual interest in a Baynes return;

2. Baynes is more a necessity than luxury. We need him for our defense, we need him to keep Horford fresh, and we need him for our chemistry;

3. I disagree on Morris’ trade value. At worst, it’s neutral, but I’ve got to think he has positive value. Morris, Nader and Yabu should all be on the block. Packaging them all along with $5 million would clear room for Baynes while opening up tax space and roster spots.

You're giving up too quickly on Yabu, Roy.  Give him another season.

I think his upside is probably as a borderline rotation player.

I would put it a little higher than that, and he does have some unique traits at his size - though his downside is bleak because of the likelihood that his feet won’t last.

Early in the season it looked like he might turn into a monster on the offensive board, but a bigger sample size washed that out. Big hands, good handles at his size - but doesn’t have much aptitude (so far) for making a play. Shoots with range but the results (so far) are below average. The defensive rebounding (so far) is substandard.

He needs something he can hang his hat on.

Can’t be optimistic about his long-term future in Beantown.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 02:48:01 PM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2018, 02:50:59 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
We can't afford to let Bayne's walk, especially knowing we will probably be seeing Philly again in next year's play-offs. The guy is an ideal backup/spot starter at Center. The fact that he will likely be affordable is even more incentive to lock him into a multi year deal. Rob Williams is an unknown who we shouldn't expect anything from production wise if we expect to contend.

Smart is the most likely goner in my mind. I think his 12-14 million is an overpay and if he can't come down from that we have to let him walk or finish out the year with his Qualifying offer.

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2018, 03:09:41 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

1. On draft night a Celtics source indicated that there’s mutual interest in a Baynes return;

2. Baynes is more a necessity than luxury. We need him for our defense, we need him to keep Horford fresh, and we need him for our chemistry;

3. I disagree on Morris’ trade value. At worst, it’s neutral, but I’ve got to think he has positive value. Morris, Nader and Yabu should all be on the block. Packaging them all along with $5 million would clear room for Baynes while opening up tax space and roster spots.

I would put it a little higher than that, and he does have some unique traits at his size - though his downside is bleak because of the likelihood that his feet won’t last.

Early in the season it looked like he might turn into a monster on the offensive board, but a bigger sample size washed that out. Big hands, good handles at his size - but doesn’t have much aptitude (so far) for making a play. Shoots with range but the results (so far) are below average. The defensive rebounding (so far) is substandard.

i have not heard of yabusele having troubles with his foot/feet. would you please provide a link to this information? thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2018, 03:16:21 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

Of course, the Celtics could go above the tax to keep both, but why should they do that?  Assuming Baynes walks, here’s a conservative minutes distribution for the top 9 in the rotation:

Irving - 30
Brown - 30
Hayward - 30
Tatum - 30
Horford - 30
Smart - 25
Rozier - 25
Morris - 25
Theis - 15

Those numbers look plausible for each individual. Having said that, there are only two bigs in your rotation, and their minutes only add up to a total of 45.

I’d say that Morris’ uncertainty about his role on the Celtics is entirely justified.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2018, 03:26:51 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

i have not heard of yabusele having troubles with his foot/feet. would you please provide a link to this information? thanks.

Sure. Here, for example:

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4726143/source-guerschon-yabusele-undergoes-foot-surgery-unlikely-for-summer-league

This was incorrectly reported as ankle surgery in several places. Bone spurs were removed from the tops of both feet. This is especially concerning, because the surgery was done because of a chronic condition, not because of the aftermath of an injury.  The surgery, in other words, dealt with the consequences – not with the causes - of the chronic situation.

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2018, 03:28:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

1. Mutual interest does not mean that he returns.  It means depending on the Celtics tax situation and the other offers Baynes gets.  There was mutual interest with Olynyk last year, but it didn’t mean he was the top priority, and when the Celtics were able to sign their top priority, there was no longer room for KO.

Here’s the actual tweet:

Keith Smith
Verified account
@KeithSmithNBA

Source: Drafting of Robert Williams has no impact on the Celtics intention to re-sign Aron Baynes. "We still intend to have Aron back in Boston and he's told us this is where he wants to be."

7:35 PM - 21 Jun 2018

That sounds like the Celts have a plan to bring him back.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2018, 03:37:14 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

1. Mutual interest does not mean that he returns.  It means depending on the Celtics tax situation and the other offers Baynes gets.  There was mutual interest with Olynyk last year, but it didn’t mean he was the top priority, and when the Celtics were able to sign their top priority, there was no longer room for KO.

Here’s the actual tweet:

Keith Smith
Verified account
@KeithSmithNBA

Source: Drafting of Robert Williams has no impact on the Celtics intention to re-sign Aron Baynes. "We still intend to have Aron back in Boston and he's told us this is where he wants to be."

Sounds like It's pretty much a lock and baynes is going to accept the awards on behalf of our other players if they win at the NBA award show.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2018, 03:43:08 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Here’s the actual tweet:

Keith Smith
Verified account
@KeithSmithNBA

I don’t doubt that, and in this I’m not arguing that Williams is any kind of obstacle to Baynes.  But unless and until they trade Morris, which might be more difficult than the prevailing wisdom says it should be for a veteran rotation wing on an affordable contract, they are lacking the space to bring back Baynes.

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2018, 04:17:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Here’s the actual tweet:

Keith Smith
Verified account
@KeithSmithNBA

I don’t doubt that, and in this I’m not arguing that Williams is any kind of obstacle to Baynes.  But unless and until they trade Morris, which might be more difficult than the prevailing wisdom says it should be for a veteran rotation wing on an affordable contract, they are lacking the space to bring back Baynes.

But, shouldn’t the Celtics source know all that? If the present intention is to bring him back, they’ve no doubt explored all the options internally. Taking that tweet at face value, it’s likely — even very likely — that Baynes is back.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2018, 04:29:27 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Here’s the actual tweet:

Keith Smith
Verified account
@KeithSmithNBA

But, shouldn’t the Celtics source know all that? If the present intention is to bring him back, they’ve no doubt explored all the options internally. Taking that tweet at face value, it’s likely — even very likely — that Baynes is back.

Yep. DA said they'd like to have Baynes back, some one reported Baynes wants to be back. I'm sure there will be a small move this summer to make things work. They still need a bruiser to push some of these bigs back. Plus it gives Williams some one to learn under about coming off the bench. Have two vet bigs is going to be huge for this kids development.