Author Topic: Way above the Rim  (Read 3455 times)

Way above the Rim
« on: June 24, 2018, 06:52:26 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
The kid plays at like at top of the box!!!! Just listened to a Blakely interview with his coach. Williams can play down to competition ,likes to have fun maybe a little too much at times but can flourish with Celtics structure,has passing skills and soft touch and follow through.No problems on court or academically.
His coach complimented the Celtics organization,Al Horford and young talent. We will see a better Williams later in season.
Williams prayed to wind up with a good organization,talked with mother and father about going back last year.They didn't jump for the money opting on an extra season.Not bad!!!
The Celts got a center with tools you can't teach that loves defense and a project for the shooting coaches as to technique and reps.
With Celtics strength and conditioning coaches ,the young core of hard workers,the new training facility and steady leadership of Horford
We finally have a shot blocking 20 year old center that can also guard the perimeter
                                         AND AT 27

Re: Way above the Rim
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 12:27:46 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 12:54:28 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The kid plays at like at top of the box!!!! Just listened to a Blakely interview with his coach. Williams can play down to competition ,likes to have fun maybe a little too much at times but can flourish with Celtics structure,has passing skills and soft touch and follow through.No problems on court or academically.
His coach complimented the Celtics organization,Al Horford and young talent. We will see a better Williams later in season.
Williams prayed to wind up with a good organization,talked with mother and father about going back last year.They didn't jump for the money opting on an extra season.Not bad!!!
The Celts got a center with tools you can't teach that loves defense and a project for the shooting coaches as to technique and reps.
With Celtics strength and conditioning coaches ,the young core of hard workers,the new training facility and steady leadership of Horford
We finally have a shot blocking 20 year old center that can also guard the perimeter
                                         AND AT 27

Nice post. I agree completely.
What I like about him is that most of the time he does not block the shot out of bounds. Bill Russell used to say the blocking a shot was "half a good play." You need to recover the ball after the block.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 12:55:20 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I noticed  he doesn't even look like he's loading his legs up to jump and he's already a head over the rim.... With weight training and conditioning, I think it's possible he can jump with even more force. Not that it's necessary. He's already doing 2 handed tomahawks

He also has a very good knack for seeing the direction of rebounding balls. He understands the science of rebounds.... He could be like a younger Faried good.

He fills a lot of small holes we have
-offensive  and defensive rebounding
- rim runner, bonus that he is good in the open floor
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:18:29 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 01:30:55 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I noticed  he doesn't even look like he's loading his legs up to jump and he's already a head over the rim.... With weight training and conditioning, I think it's possible he can jump with even more force. Not that it's necessary. He's already doing 2 handed tomahawks

He also has a very good knack for seeing the direction of rebounding balls. He understands the science of rebounds.... He could be like a younger Faried good.

You didn't list rim protection. 

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 01:55:06 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
He should work with Hanlen to construct his shooting form and learn all the foundamentals, he is like a genius who never had a good teacher

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 02:46:43 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
He needs to mature but I do like what he does on the court. Gonna hope he figures it out like a lot of others do when they realize talent alone won't cut it in the NBA. Even Cousins (100s more) had to work harder at some point.

I like Hanlen and would love it if he used him too but I'd be happy with any good trainer if RW works his butt off. You can have the best trainer but if you don't work his help won't work.

Come on "Tanta" (Tantalized/Tantalizer), be good, I'm tired of hoping for that top notch big from the draft only to be disappointed time and time again.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 03:10:26 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
There is a quality interview from his Clippers workout on you tube published june 16.
The Clippers spokesmen for i assume draft team was very insightful and Williams said all the right things to overcome some of the grey areas.It seems from what he said he is ready to work,loves the game.
TP for someone putting this up. -www.youtube/watch/?v=F4oDl_1us7o
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:25:35 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 10:21:38 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I just hope the "desire" is there.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 10:43:54 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The alley oops to Baynes, and even Theis, couldn't go too high last season, and thus had a greater chance of being disrupted.  This kid is different. You just toss it to the top of the back board, he's the only one who can reach it, and slam it with force.

The video of his height on these throw downs is impressive.

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 11:27:12 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
The alley oops to Baynes, and even Theis, couldn't go too high last season, and thus had a greater chance of being disrupted.  This kid is different. You just toss it to the top of the back board, he's the only one who can reach it, and slam it with force.

The video of his height on these throw downs is impressive.

LOL at Baynes alley-ooping. Love the guy but man is he the classic white stiff big man.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

That's what really impresses me. The guy will be able to make mistakes defensively and will still be able to recover in order to make a play just because of his sheer athleticism. The guy barely jumps and he's already sky-high. It's really impressive..

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 11:47:05 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
                                         AND AT 27

This makes me feel better. Defensively he should be able to help immediately. The offense will be more of an adventure. Every talking head sports commentator agrees great pick at 27.

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Rollie - you're spitting truth:

Robert Williams touches 12'6" in max vert test at P3 Sports Science!

https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/2872781

For perspective...here is Dwight Howard at 12'6" for ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=7181826
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:32:58 PM by The One »

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I went back and watched 6 A&M games.  Things that stood out to me

- smart player, sees the court well
- soft hands and great feet, nice step through/pound dribble/power finish; dunks EVERYTHING
- UGLY FT form, but very nice touch on a little push shot near the hoop
- teammates were AWFUL at post entries and constantly missed him for easy lobs
- conditioning seemed to be a problem, but motor was good until he tired; sprinted down the court for follow dunks in transition
- incredible transition player, multiple coast-to-coast, pseudo Euro-step/ hop-step power finishes.  Advanced skills for a guy his size.

Looks like guy who should've been a surefire 20/10 on 70% with a good PG in the right system.  Seems like his coach had some kind of beef with him, prob due to having "too much fun" like he said.  Dominates one game and gets 15 mins the next...